1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

:cooldj:

I would like to get some clarification on a few questions on the 2005 Goldwing:

1. Does the bike need a skid plate to protect the coolant tank on the bottom?

2. On the '05 model, are the CB switches and the ones on the right handgrip illuminated so they can be read?

3. How difficult is it to remove the fairings to work on the bike? are there videos showing how to do this?

And one final question, if you do work on your bike, does it void the warranty with Honda? Are oil changes allowed?

Thanks,

Baron

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
imported post

Well I can answer a couple of your questions. Someone will come along and help you out better.

As far as I know the cb interfaces directly with the radio. I have a friend who is in the process of installing a cb in an 05 today. He has had plenty of problems removing pieces of the fairings just to add chrome here and there. He has also encountered stripped bolts going into the aluminum frame and had to re-tap them bigger. That's all I know about an 1800. (not much that's for sure).

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
imported post

Baron wrote:

2. On the '05 model, are the CB switches and the ones on the right handgrip illuminated so they can be read?

3. How difficult is it to remove the fairings to work on the bike? are there videos showing how to do this?

And one final question, if you do work on your bike, does it void the warranty with Honda? Are oil changes allowed?

Thanks,

Baron

The first step is to get the manual from Helm or Hondadirectline especially if you intend to work on the 1800.:waving:

Not sure why you need to remove the fairing. When working on the 1800 it can be done by removing some panels. :coollep:

The handle switches are lit, but not all of them :shock:

Its a good idea to get a cover for the overflow tank - perspex ones can be made up easily :clapper:

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

Baron, welcome to the forum, First, a bellypan will protect the coolant bottle, no doubt about that.

The handlebar switches are illuminated from the 04 model year, so yes is the answer to that.

If you use a OEM Honda filter and parts the warranty will not be void, unless you bugger something up.

There is a tutorial with pictures and avideo clip on the very site showing how to remove the shelter (for air filter replacement etc). Go to this page http://www.goldwingfacts.com/bikersworkshopmenu.htmand scroll down to the air filter section. This makes an easy job of it and I reccomend it to anyone taking on this job for the first time.

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

Hi there Baron and welcome. That video clip is really easy to follow, you won't have problems removing the plastics after looking at this.

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Baron wrote:

Hey Baron :waving:Welcome to the Greatest Goldwing Forum on the net. :clapper:The answers to your questions are as follows. :weightlifter:

(1) Belly Pan is what the two piece plate is called, will protect the under side of the:18red: and keeps everything down there nice and clean. :321:

(2) Yes. :banana:

(3) Yes there is a video on this site, link given in previous post. :dance:

The air filter/cleaner only need replaced every 12k miles.

(4) If your concerned about the warrenty check with your local (s)dealer and that will clear that point for you. :2finger:

:bash2: :18red: :bash2:

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
imported post

That video clip is a great help. That's how I found this site in the first place, months ago (actually it was the Utopia backrest video). :waving:

·
Older and Wiser
1,734 Posts
imported post

Hello Baron and welcome. The shelter seems like a big job at first, but the Steve Saunders video clip was a master-stroke, it's helped lots of GL1800 owners on this side of the pond realize how easy the job can be and you don't have to buy it, it's a free download.

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
imported post

BenMC wrote:
Hello Baron and welcome. The shelter seems like a big job at first, but the Steve Saunders video clip was a master-stroke, it's helped lots of GL1800 owners on this side of the pond realize how easy the job can be and you don't have to buy it, it's a free download.
I'd say it helped out GL1800 owners all over the world. I wonder how many times it's been downloaded in total?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.