1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hey boys and girls

I have a new air cleaner!

After my post of last week I tackled the job by myself. Thanx Steve your directions were perfect. For the most part the surgery went really well. I fumbled around for about six hours doing it. Going really slowly and making sure I didnt wreck anything. After it was done, I think it is a job anyone can do in their own garage. The key is slow and steady. I think that next year I can do it in 2 to 3 hours.

I had a few problems though although minor.

! I didnt note which bolts came out of which holes on the shelter and with all the confusion I had to take the shelter off a second time and figure out which bolts went where.

2.One of the rubber grommets got lost in my garage. for a while I was convinced that my wife stole one just to piss me off. Alas I finally found it near the bottom of the fender. Another case of not totally paying attention.

The air filter was at a point where it did need changing but was not totally disgusting.

It always amazes me that doing stuff like this is not rocket science. When I was younger I subscribed to the bigger hammer theory but after many gray hairs I realize that slow steady coaxing always gets the job done!!!

Thanks again for all the help

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
imported post

Biker Boy wrote:
I didnt note which bolts came out of which holes on the shelter and with all the confusion I had to take the shelter off a second time and figure out which bolts went where.
Steve does warn about the different size bolts in his article, it's a real pain when they get mixed up. I can't see why Honda didn't use bolts the same size on the fairing.

Congratulations on a job well done though. You deserve credit for tackling what I still say is a difficult task for a first timer. :clapper:

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Well done Biker Boy, :clapper:this is a fairly big task and takes a lot of patience and those bloody bolts are a nightmare. The next time will be easier. :grinner:

:waving: :18red: :waving:

·
Older and Wiser
1,734 Posts
imported post

All the service tasks seem easy on the 1800. Plugs, oil and filter and even the brake pads. Its a pity the air cleaner bucks the trend here.

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
imported post

BenMC wrote:
All the service tasks seem easy on the 1800. Plugs, oil and filter and even the brake pads. Its a pity the air cleaner bucks the trend here.
Yes I agree. It is a brave man that takes on this job for the forst time. I am glad it worked out for Bikerboy.

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
imported post

Haveing downloaded the video clip from this site and looked at it a few times, I am confident enough to do this job myself.

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
imported post

Isn't it amazing how a video resampled and mangled down to fit the web can be much more beneficial than all themuch clearer photos!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.