Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello everyone. Sorry for the beginner question, but I'm relatively new to bikes. used to ride when I was a kid and am just trying to get back in the saddle.

I'm fixing up a 1975 goldwing and want to put fresh tires on front and rear. I can figure out the tire sizes well enough, but don't understand all of the measurements for the inner tubes. I see tubes for sale with different size valves, etc.

first I need to know what inner tube is correct for stock 1975 goldwing DID aluminum rims.

second, now my curiousity is up and I'm just curious about what these different sizes mean and how to measure of figure out this sizing system.

thanks all and I apologize in advance for the newbie question. This site looks absolutely wonderful and I've been luriking around for a week or two!

brant

·
Registered
819 Posts
imported post

The 75 and 76 GL1000 have spoke rims and do require an innertube.

The parts manual list the front tube size as 3.50 - 19

and the rear tube size is listed as 4.50 - 17

I am assuming that the numbers are inches.

Hope this helps.

Peter

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Thanks a ton fella's
the manuals are amazing, this is going to take a while to read through

regarding the inner tubes. I was looking on bike bandit to purchase new ones and they showed options for valve length and valve size. For example my front tire is a 100/90/19 so when I select that size of tube it shows a
19inch tube with options for:

- stem type: "standard" or "offset" are the 2 options
- stem offset: the options are "TR4/TR6", "TR87c",
and "JS87c"
- stem diameter: the options are "8mm" or "10mm"

wow.. lots of options for a tube
anybody know what TR4/6 means?

I can measure the diameter and I'm assuming the "type" of standard is probably the right one..

but I have no idea what the different stem offset measurements mean?

thanks again for any further insights.
I'll scroll through the manuals

the stock DID rim does have spokes by the way. Pretty cool of Honda to make a spoked wheel with an aluminum rim.. those guys were thinking!

brant

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
imported post

I don't know exactly what year Honda finally went to tubeless rims but it was sometime in the early 80's. My 1980 interstate had tube type rims still. ALL pre 80's are tube type even if the look like tubless rims they are not...

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
imported post

The 75 and 76 wereare tubeless. No dealer will put a tbe in a tubeless wheel. I ssuppose a crooked one would, but it could put your life at risk. It's just not worth it. When I can finally afford to get new tires, I am going with the runflat tires. They are lifesavers.

Nightrider1

retiredintime wrote:

I don't know exactly what year Honda finally went to tubeless rims but it was sometime in the early 80's. My 1980 interstate had tube type rims still. ALL pre 80's are tube type even if the look like tubless rims they are not...

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

I don't think so..75 and 76 had tubes, spokes etc. every tire I have taken apart has a tube inside..75 to 79. All the parts diagrams show a tube too??? In 80 they went to tubeless.

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

Sorry guys but there are several incorrect statements in this thread.

All 75-79 GL1000's came from the factory requiring tubes. 75-77 had spokes and required the Rim Bands and tubes. The 78/79 were Comstar Rims and did not require a rim band but do require Tubes by the book.

Some folks have taken it upon themselves to run the Comstars without tubes but the Book requires them on all the 1000 models.

Reactions: pidjones

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

oops looks like RB got in ahead of me.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

Morram,

oh my god
that link is amazing
thank you, thank you...

my bike is a project in a box and needs everything!
I was just about to start rebuilding the carbs
thank you again!

brant

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.