Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Has anyone figured out how to fix the original mirrors on my '81 1100 Interstate? When I drive they simply begin shifting and within minutes, they are out out adjustment and useless. I considered putting a rubber washer made of soft rubber such as inner tube between the main swivel joint. Can this work? I have not ideas about how to fix the joint right beside the mirror for the vertical adjustment.

Thanks,

NavyMarine1978

·
Administrator
28,083 Posts
imported post

If it is the main swivel on the fairing you can remove the mirror and tighten it I believe.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

What Dave said, However I have tightened mine till theres nothing left...... There is a spring inside that compresses so that you can still make adjustments.

What I ended up doing was loosening the nut all the way out so the ball and socket come apart. WITHOUT cleaning the ball and the socket that it fit into, I squeezed some hot glue in it and quickly squeez it together by hand. Not a lot of glue, just enough to put a coat on the inside of the joint when squeezed. Because I didn't clean it, it didn't stick to everything, and I can still move the mirror when needed. It's kinda like putting a spacer in there. It's been that way for 8000 miles so far and they are still holding OK, I noticed the left mirror drooping every 500 or so mile and hit it up a notch.

But they still move with the fairing. I put a third mirror in place where there is a screw socket on the right side brake fluid canister.

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
imported post

I assume that a silicon would act similarly to the hot glue. That fixes the main swivel portion but, how about the other adjustment beside the mirror? There is a knuckle there as well which allows the mirror to swivel up and down. Put some silicon there as well? I noticed that JC Whitney sells the mirrors for $40 some dollars per pair except they do not ship to Canada.

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

I assume that a silicon would act similarly to the hot glue. That fixes the main swivel portion but, how about the other adjustment beside the mirror? There is a knuckle there as well which allows the mirror to swivel up and down. Put some silicon there as well? I noticed that JC Whitney sells the mirrors for $40 some dollars per pair except they do not ship to Canada.

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
imported post

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
imported post

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

That knuckle is what Im talking about. It;s a ball and socket? Thats what it is on mine. Yes, Silicone would work just as well...... maybe better. Just needs more drying time.

·
Premium Member
501 Posts
imported post

Well, i for one, am fed up with those floppy fairing mount mirrors.. and am returning to the use of handlebar mount mirrors. got a set too... 5 and a quarter inches wide by 4 inches high. VERY lightly convex glass. A huge field of view over those fairing mirrors. and i can be sure those won't get out of adjustment... Better than the fairing mirrors. Hands down!... these are going on my'83 interstate.. BIG ONES!... :waving:

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
imported post

Regarding the JC Whitney mirrors, I was told they are not of comparable quality to the OEM ones, and they vibrate excessively when moving. No experience with then, just what I was told.

Steve

·
Alaskan Explorer on a Valk
585 Posts
imported post

I put the mirrors in place and then I put fix-it-stick (all purpose bonding putty) at the base. The mirror has not moved in three years.

I got the fix it stick at lowes in the plumbing section.

·
Banned
7,545 Posts
imported post

Trash them and be very happy with the handle bar mounted YOU SHOULD BUY.. New ones FOR FARING MOUNTS that aRE NOT ORIGINAL hONDA ARE NOT WORTH THE MONEY AT ALL.

·
Banned
7,545 Posts
imported post

hES NOT TALKING ABOUT THE BASE wILCOY , BUT WHERE THE PIVOT IS , THEY WILL NOT STAY ADJUSTED AND YOU DO NOT WANT TO AFFIX THEM PERMANTELY AT THAT POINT.

·
Cyclebusters.com
908 Posts
imported post

Emgo replacement mirrors are $24 MSRP, at most cycle shops. My new right mirror does not move. the oem left is a hula doll. I have considered taking it apaort and sanding off the chrome, and leaving a rough finish so it can grab, as well as tightening it with maybe awasher under the spring
I have even considered making a washer out of sandpaper and putting it under the socket

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
imported post

I pulled mine apart and sprayed the "knuckle" with several coats of clear coat. Put them back together and no problems. Can adjust them AND they will stay in place. Be careful though when tightening because it's just pot metal and will break easily.

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
imported post

I like the duct tape idea...lol. I managed to have the JC Whitney mirrors (Emgo) shipped through a place called Bongo US which will ship to Canada. Apparently, JC Whitney has products which they do not ship internationally and the mirrors fall under that category. I will try the Emgo mirrors. JC Whitney has a 21 day return policy after I receive them so, if they vibrate around a lot or won't stay adjusted, I will simply return them. I had paid $75 for the used pair which are now mounted and flop around. The Emgo mirrors are $50 shipped to Bongo and what ever they change to get them to me. I assume less than $50. If $25 or less, the Emgo mirrors will have cost the same as the used mirrors. If more than $25 up to $50 to ship, than they will have cost less than half of OEM mirrors which cost $100/side or $200/pair plus taxes. I think the Emgo mirrors are worth the try. I can return the used mirrors and get that $75 back.

Thanks everyone and keep the suggestions rolling in,

NavyMarine1978

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.