Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello all well i have this little problem today. i have been trying to find a way to lower my goldwing. I bought this bike for my wife but she has a hard time holding it up at a stop ( she has droped it once not bad but it did go) the problem is it is about 2 to 3 " to tall i know i can drop the shocks some and get a lower seat but i cant get the shocks to drop down i have bent the wrinch doing this so maby someone knows a better way to do this...

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
imported post

What you can try, is to remove a shock and measure the center of the eyes. then try and find a set thats 2or 3 inches shorter ,that will not have clearence problems when fully compressed.Also riding boots with a thicker sole and heel will help, at least it helped my wife on her sportster.I had to teach my wife not to put her feet right next to the bike when she stopped. once she got the hang of that she didn't drop the bike anymore.,,

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
imported post

NJJACk on this forum has a 78 that he replaced the air shocks with harley shocks. If he was able to do that I bet a pair of sprtster lowering shocks may also fit.
I would do what BIGCAHUNA mentioned and browse all the cycle catalouges to see if you find a good set.
I do think that riding solo she shouldnt bottom out but you risk lkosing side clearance in turns.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

You'll need to be careful putting shorter shocks on the bike. It's important that the shock hits the end of it's travel before the swing arm does. It's the shock that's the up stop on the swing arm.

·
Premium Member
655 Posts
imported post

you might have to modify the side kick stand if lowered. I know on my bike if I have the air pressure on the forks and back shocks at its minium the bike almost does not lean enough for the kick stand.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
imported post

Consider lacing a 16 inch, (or even 15 inch if you can find tires,) rim to your hub. Or find a set of lester mags, They were 16 in. Find some 1 inch shorter shocks. Shave the seat a little lower. Make it a little narrower while your at if you can. Combined they should get you the 3 inches.

Walter

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
imported post

hello navycopman if you will look at eay
under mid 70,s cb750 honda you will find a set lowering blocks thay will work for you. i have a set on my 77 gl1000 and it droped about 3 ins.look at my pic good luck colt33

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
imported post

hello navycopman,
Get the wife some high heels!

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
imported post

i'm on my way to scrap yard getting an old set of shock's to cut down the bottom
just a test to see if possible to cut down and reweld, i think this is possible.
if you wish i will keep you informed;;

dk

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
imported post

actually the shop is closed today, so you will have to wait a day or 2, but no matter what mine is going to be lowered......

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Fixed the porblem i got her a shorter bike a VT1100c

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.