Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Depends on the bike as some switch power and some switch ground, on all time will strain charging circuit but short term bypass when you know its hot outside is ok

·
Premium Member
6,292 Posts
i have read the original post "three times". Did not see anything about "overheating".

I might need new glasses....!!:confused:
I made an assumption. I can not think of any other logical reason to run the fan all the time. I thought I typed "why do you want the fan to run all the time" but I guess not. If you type as slow as I do you would understand that saving words is saving time. I know people who can type as fast as I talk. Even faster than I can read. :unsure:

·
Administrator
25,584 Posts
Presuming I have everything wired properly, how do I do this?
The question everyone is trying to get at is why would you want to? It's not a good idea, the fan doesn't need to run until the engine warms up and not after about 20mph. Running it constantly just strains the charging system & if it's an 1800 will cause it to run hot when running over 15mph.

Reactions: CrystalPistol

·
It aint rocket science
3,890 Posts
I made an assumption. I can not think of any other logical reason to run the fan all the time.
You and 99.9% of the population.:D The remaining believing maybe it would be a good idea to keep gnats and corona virus away from their personal space by running the fan.
And I will also make an assumption that because fan is not plural in the title it would be a 1200 or older.

Reactions: DaveO430

·
It aint rocket science
3,890 Posts
Could be that the OP added A/C to his ride and needs the air flow across the condenser or maybe charging voltage is too high cooking the battery and running the fan brings that voltage down.
Will wait to hear from the OP with no more speculating from me unless I think of some other valid reasons.:)
Obsolete temp sensor? Stop while you ahead kid, I got half dozen more reasons.

Reactions: DaveO430

·
Premium Member
6,292 Posts
Could be that the OP added A/C to his ride and needs the air flow across the condenser or maybe charging voltage is too high cooking the battery and running the fan brings that voltage down.
Will wait to hear from the OP with no more speculating from me unless I think of some other valid reasons.:)
Obsolete temp sensor? Stop while you ahead kid, I got half dozen more reasons.
I like the first one the best. The fan will probably dp more to protect the driver than a mask. I really look forward to a day when I can turn on the news and not hear the word Corona unless they are talking beer. I wonder how there sales are? Remember the old diet candy Aids? (was spelled Ayds)

·
Registered
40 Posts
I’ve repaired a few 1200’s with blown stators because of cooling system overheat condition. They melt the wires from the temp sensor for fan engagement (Making contact). Owner says; well, I never worried about it overheating anymore, until it wouldn’t keep the battery charged anymore. Bad water pumps on 2, and head gaskets on another 1.
If the bike is working correctly, the fan only needs to run when it’s very hot.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Gl1000 is model, fan was always on when I bought it and I'm just trying to avoid buying the plug, however a yellow wire(unlikely original?) from the fan harness is disconnected from I don't know where that's supposed to loop to and I'm putting a new harness on. Actually having trouble getting this thing going at all.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Depends on the bike as some switch power and some switch ground, on all time will strain charging circuit but short term bypass when you know its hot outside is ok
It's always hot here, this is Arizona. Having the fan run most of the time wouldn't be the worst. Just replaced rectifier.

·
Registered
305 Posts
As i remember the 1000 the fan is switched on the power line so you need to put a +ve (fused and switched) lead into the fan power supply.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Honestly, I'm feeling sort of defeated by this right now. I've made no progress after trying to wire this up. Can't get it to turn over, headlight won't come on, nothing. Been trying to line up what wires are what with a multimeter continuity test since the new harness isn't dead on balls exact coloring from the diagram as I bought it from somebody on ebay that made it new. Idk what to do.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts