Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I often find that when I leave the bitumen / hardtop there is no a area adjacent with a surface hard enough to hold either side stand or centre stand? Any good ideas going round?:sadguy:

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
Not sure why this is in the For Sale section, but just carry one or two 3-5" round metal discs to set under the side stand foot. Carry them in your side bag if you have one, or carry them on the bike somewhere. You didn't state which bike you had, so taking a guess.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
I carry a small piece of diamond Plate, 3x4" roughly. I used Dusty's idea of drilling a hole in it, and adding a string to it. I keep it in the left pocket so when I stop, I just take it out, drop it on the ground (while holding onto the rope) and kick it under the kick stand. Tie the rope to the handle bar. When I leave, get on the bike, start it, warm it up. When I get ready to go, Just lean the bike up, pull the rope up and store it away.

·
Premium Member
5,319 Posts
Moved post to General Motorcycle Discussion forum.

Like the others, I use a 4" X 4"metal plate off an electrical junction box (square cover with no holes). I covered it with yellow duct tape for visibility. I also attached a lightweight bungee cord to it with a clip on the end that is used to attach to my clutch lever. Anything similar works well for those occasions where it might be needed.

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
Here in Texas, you'll likely need that metal plate when you park in a new asphalt parking lot. Heavy bikes tend to sink in fresh asphalt. And the J-Box cover is a good and cheap idea. Should find a used one free at a construction or better yet, a demo site.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
My 1800 came with a "Wide Foot Kickstand which works well in most instances that I have ran into so far:

http://wingstuff.com/products/3293-wide-foot-kickstand?from_search=1

The only thing I don't like about it is in tight left hand turns it scrapes first, and when it hits, it hits hard, bounces up and hits the bottom of my foot on the pegs.

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
When we arrive at the rallies,being most of the time camping grounds,grass and softish ground,before we get off the bike we have a beer ( can ) and after we finish the beer,squash the can and put it under the side stand ! The good thing about it is that when you ride a Goldwing you can not reach your beer so you are offered one !
When ride on your own have a can of "something "in the drink holder !

·
ɹoᴉuǝS ɯoʇsnƆ
2,634 Posts
Just turn your helmet upsidedown, presto changeo, kickstand holder!

·
Mile high on a Gold Wing
41 Posts
Here in Texas, you'll likely need that metal plate when you park in a new asphalt parking lot. Heavy bikes tend to sink in fresh asphalt. And the J-Box cover is a good and cheap idea. Should find a used one free at a construction or better yet, a demo site.
This is the best stand plate I have used. I use a 4 11/16" cover plate. You can get them in any hard ware store Home Depot etc.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Stand pads

Thanks for that info! I never knew! - and do they clip on and stay on? Is there one that is recommended for the Goldwing?:)

·
Premium Member
2,656 Posts
I can mail you one that was a freebie at a rally but IDK how much it'll cost to get it down under. I've never mailed anything to Australia.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oldishwinger showed me an ebay site where they are for sale for less than $10 - you could see what it would cost to mail to my friend, Gary at Manhattan Beach LA! - if that's easy! And once put on to the tiny Goldwing stand plate does it just tuck up and stay on?
Ta
Coops

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
Oldishwinger showed me an ebay site where they are for sale for less than $10 - you could see what it would cost to mail to my friend, Gary at Manhattan Beach LA! - if that's easy! And once put on to the tiny Goldwing stand plate does it just tuck up and stay on?
Ta
Coops
I've got an orange one the same style as in the link and it works great. They don't attach to the side stand, they need to be picked up before you take off. I've got one in the left side pocket with fishing line attached. I simply hold the bike up off the stand, pull the puck up by the line, wrap the fishing line around the puck and slide it back in the pocket. Beats having to try to bend over and pick it up while balancing the bike.

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
Anything that is solid and maybe 4-8 square inches works great!
All you need to do is spread the weight out from a tiny spot at kickstand to a larger spot on a solid surface. ANY scrap chunk of thin wood should do. Plywood, chip board, etc.. or any piece of metal.
Just spread the weight of the kickstands when supporting the bike over a larger area that the kickstands actually do. That is all there is to it!

How much to spread out the weight depends how soft the area you are parking on. Semi solid blacktop does not need much, wet soft dirt/mud needs more, sand more, quick sand well it probably will sink no matter what. LOL

At home I just use a scrap of plywood whatever is handy like 1/4" or 3/8" or a rock.

The important thing is to make sure you still have a nice lean to the left side side stand. If too thick and bike to straight up then it could fall over to right side without much effort.

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
i have a metal foot(looks like the old hang ten foot), that is @ 6" long and 3" wide that has a string attatched to lift it up once you get back on the bike. i keep it in the drivers backrest pocket.

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
I have used a 4x4 electric box plate with great success. you can wrap it in duct tape if you want to make sure you don't have any sharp edges. I have been to several affairs at MC dealers and at many they have given away what look like oversized poker chips with their logo and info on it. Those tend to crack quickly. I put mine in the rear speaker pocket which I don't use for much but it is always easily gotten to when I need it. I have been tempted to tie a cord to it to make it easier to pick up when I ride away.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks inventors for ideas - I have a little shed work to do now. ... but fancy such a great bike having this major problem for us who don't live in wall to wall concrete!

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
When using a beer can in a pinch, it's best to stomp on the can to squash it vertically. It will be stiffer that way than flattening it sideways. I had a Big Foot kick stand on my previous 1800 and need to get one for this bike. They work very well. I got the last one for $3 at a garage sale, never going to be that lucky again.
Here's two possibilities from Wing Stuff:http://wingstuff.com/shop/gold_wing_gl1800-footrests_stands

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.