Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
815 Posts
imported post

Very carefully.

Welding aluminium takes the right equipment and a lot of skill, you cannot do it with an ark welder.

You need a mig welder.

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

...how big is the hole?

Anyway, use the 700° flux rods like in the pic below.

Use a stainless steel brush before and after heating to de-ox the aluminum and then apply the rod as directed on the label.

Easy. If the hole is larger than a dime or so, then I would have something backing the inside, like a small plate of steel of some sort. Make sure it's clean whatever it is.

Acetelyne will get it hot enough. MAPP will also. Propane may as well but might take a while to get that hot. Gotta heat the metal to the temp and then flow the rod in.

Attachments

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
imported post

The weld is going to look ugly. Would you consider buying a used cover instead?

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
imported post

choppas wrote:
The weld is going to look ugly. Would you consider buying a used cover instead?
+1

While I applaud your effort $50 or less buys a pair on ebay or one of the other used parts sites.

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
imported post

Why don't you just bop over to my place and I'll give you a valve cover or you can bring yours and I will Tig weld it for you.

Steve

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
imported post

those rods work remarkably well,but cleanliness is priority 1,i have used them for a lot of repairs,i found by really good brushing and then soaking the parts in vinegar(yes,vinegar)because its a citric acid it will clean any grease or oil residue fron the area,soak for a day and brush the area and then dry.dont over heat ,heat the area and while doing so keep touching the rod to the heated area and then it will flow when it has reached the proper tenpature,kinda like soldering copper pipe,hope this helps and good luck

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

get an used part on ebay, aluminum is hard to weld and if you dont have the skills it may crack while on the middle of nowhere giving you more problems than you have already.

·
Premium Member
6,422 Posts
imported post

SuperSkypilot made the best offer and that just show how great our family here is.!!!!!!!
If you have no choice but to do it yourself. Remember "clean" is the "must", and slow heat the part to be welded,
if it is a crack then i always drill a tiny hole at each end of crack as well as VEE it. .
****DO NOT Quench cool after weld***** let it cool on its own. and as above has already mentioned if its a whole use a backer Brass or steel but must be clean. that allows you to fill the hole without fall out or over heating trying to fill without a backer. it can be dressed and sanded and buffed after your cool completley. Best of luck.

·
Premium Member
332 Posts
imported post

I once J-B welded the plastic hood of my '68 VW baja-bug to the metal hinges, and it's still holding today !

·
Premium Member
4,910 Posts
imported post

That stuff CaptainMidnight mentioned is what I would try, IF you're gonna try patching it.

I have welded Aluminum with Oxy-Acetylene, and I'll tell ya',the stuff gives no warning. It will collapse the instant it goes liquid, and there is no color change...only an oxide film that forms immediately prior to melting. Ifmemory serves, I think Borax is the flux of choice for oxy-acetylene welding.

The other thing is, you prolly don't know the alloy of the cover (it may not be just aluminum, the Japanese have become near-genius at alloying aluminum, magnesium, etc. for special design enhancement).

Be sure to practice on some junk pieces a lot, before going for it. Experience will be your only salvation.

I, too, tend to lean toward SuperSkyPilot's suggestion... :3sum: :waving:

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
imported post

My question is how did you get a hole in it in the first place, Just wondering??????????

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

If you have to ask you probly shouldn't do it. Good question on where the hole cale from crash damage.
Wilf

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Aluminum brazing rods work well for that kind of repair. You can do it with Mapp gas easily. I wouldn't use an acetylene torch for the job it's just too difficult not to overheat the metal and have a big hunk of it fall out. There are several brands and you can find them at Lowe's and Home Depot.

http://durafix.com/

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

Actuall exavid, acetylene alone (meaning air/acetylene and not oxygen/acetylene, which I've shown in the pic above with a common torch handle) does not get as hot as MAPP gas. MAPP gas has the addition of oxygen within its mixture in the bottle.

Air/Acetylene is @ roughly 2,400°C

MAPP is @ roughly 2,980°C ...and

Propane is @ roughly 1,980°C

Oxygen/Acetylene has a flame temp of about 3,100°C.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.