Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
7,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have never had to charge a brand new battery before, they have always come filled and charged before, I got this one at Batteries Plus.
( I don't think they make an oddesy battery for this bike , a 1986 Honds VT 500 c.)
It came filled and has sat overnight.
The charger I have is a cheap automatic one made by Schumacher.
The only buttons on it are to change voltage- 6 or 12 and a charge rate of 2 4 or 6 amps. I want to do this right. The instructions that came with it seem vague.
Can you help me? Thank You !

·
Banned
7,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
imported post

Ok , I think I have it figured out.

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
imported post

I use Autozone its free!!!!.....

·
Premium Member
1,235 Posts
imported post

You're supposed to get the bottle of electrons to fill it up. :ROFL: Yep, just use the 2 amp setting.

·
Banned
7,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

ok , the instructions said to charge at 30% of stated amp hours,( I had to look up specs online , not stated on box)it was 12 so I used 4 amp charge setting, it took about 4 to 5 hours to charge, will install today.
Let you know the outcome.

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
imported post

When your not in a hurry use the lowest amp setting you can for best results.

Batteries will get sulphated sitting over time in a discharged state. The slower you charge the better as it gives more time to slowly dissolve the hardened sulphates back into the acid. Even for a new dry battery you have to add the acid to after you buy it it's a good idea to slow charge for same reason.
Charging slow never hurts anything and is better for the battery.

You just don't want to charge to high as that can boil the battery or over heat the plates and warp them.
With Gell or Glass Matt types charging to fast can also trap bubbles inside which weakens the battery.

·
Premium Member
1,170 Posts
imported post

Agree with Chromo I use the 1.5 amp charge rate when I have new batts and if I have to fill with acid I let sit for a few hours before I start the charging process. The shumacher MC charger and maintainer is a good deal.

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
imported post

I killed a battery on a trip. Bought a Walmart battery, filled it, put it in the bike, fired it up and rode away. I let the bike charge it. No problems....paul

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
imported post

You can do that, fill a new dry battery and let the car charge it, or if you run one dead with lights on you forgot to turn off, just jump start it and let car charge it.

Problem is every time you do that your hurting the battery a little and shortening it's useful life.

·
Official "Cheeky Plonker"
1,199 Posts
imported post

12v, 2 amp +1, the only way to do it, just don't overdo it, you can get tenders that will cut out at certain setpoints, I need to look for one of those too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.