Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

how do you check CB 1100 Interstate

1K views 20 replies 7 participants last post by  jjones0187 
#1 ·
imported post

I have read a couple of articles about CB's on here recently my problem is slightly different, I am trying to determine if my CB is bad or if the splitter is bad, I finally got an SWR meter and cables and tried to adjust my new antenna, I noticed the watts meter and the SWR gives me two different readings if I bypass the splitter or hook up through the splitter I get over a 100 watts through the splitter and less than 10 watts if I bypass the splitter, but the SWR seems to read to high no matter what I do once I calibrate the gauge which reads a set mark the gauge wont ever back off toward the perferred setting of 2.0 no matter how much I cut off the antenna or even if I disconnect the antenna it still reads the same thing, does this mean I need to send the CB to sierra for repair? unfortunately I dont have another CB to test if its really working or not, the SWR with watts meter should tell me if this thing is going to work right?

#2 ·
imported post

Since the radio has output, I would say that the problem is in the antenna, splitter, or cable (not the radio) Since you can't seem to affect the results with length changes, I'd lean towards the cable or splitter.. but the coil in the mid section of the antenna could have a problem too..

Incidently, the power meter only reads correct power wihen it is hooked up to a proper load (50 ohms). A non working antenna or a high SWR is not a proper load...

#3 ·
imported post

And to add to what Jim has posted, cb's are regulated to 4 watts output power by the FCC. Properly setup and adjusted that's the max output you should see on the meter, not 10 or 100 watts.

Is this the first time you've used a SWR meter? It sounds like you could also not be calibrating the meter properly.

There is another thread going right now with links in it to the Firestik website that explains why and how to properly use the meter and tune the antenna for lower readings of the meter.

http://goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum1/76416.html

#4 ·
imported post

thanks for the fast reply guys, I was leaning toward an antenna problem myself but I am using a new antenna its aftermarket made by bigbike parts or something but its identical to the original, it came with a new coaxial that I havent installed yet I just threaded the new antenna down onto my existing antenna post thanking it should work fine, I am familiar with the firestick antenna website would you recmmend one of those over the original equipment type? is their anything else I can test or check to determine if my antenna is bad or splitter bad or CB bad it could be alot of things causing this problem I am afraid.

#5 ·
imported post

Get out your multimeter and check your antenna. You should have continuity from the antenna itself all the way to the center connector where the antenna lead connects to the splitter. If you don't, then you have a broken cable or the cable isn't connected to the antenna. Be careful, trying to transmit in that condition could damage your radio.

#6 ·
imported post

The stinger, top wire, on the A/O antenna is 24 inches long and is 5.5 inches longer than the stock antenna. The A/O antenna is designed to be uses without the splitter, that is the reason for the extra length. If you are going to use the splitter just cut the wire to 19.5 inches and then start your tuning. From what you describe about the meter you are using, the right switch needs to be set to SWR and then left switch set to FWD/10 watt and then adjusted to set line and then switch to REF/100 watt to get the SWR reading.

#8 ·
imported post

you were right about the cable checked for continuity and found out the cable is bad, so I replaced the cable and rechecked it from the top of the antenna to the end of the coaxle where it comes into the fairing and it now shows continuity, although when I hook it through the splitter and turn the key on it wont show continuity but if you turn the key off it will then show continuity through the splitter, does that mean my splitter is bad also or does that sound normal. I also think my CB is starting to overheat or something while im trying to check the SWR's because it will show to transmit through the meter through all channels at first then after 15 or 20 minutes of checking this thing it stops transmitting until I let it set for a while, cant seem to get the SWR's down still reading above 3.

#9 ·
imported post

If the SWR is still that high then I would guess the transmitter is definitely overheating. Is it possible to bypass the splitter and check the SWR without it? Also, be sure you are away from potential interference when checking it. Don't do it with the bike sitting the garage, it can affect the reading. Best advice is in the middle of an empty parking lot away from power lines, light poles, etc.

#11 ·
imported post

I am using an aftermarket antenna made like the original I think I got it from big bike parts, are you recommending cutting 6 inches off the top stinger on that antenna? I have cut about 3 inches off so far trying to lower the SWR's I could cut another 3 inches off and see what happens. I did have a extremely long stinger on it about twice as long as my original stinger that fell off on the road somewhere along time ago. I appreciate the input guys keep em comming..

#12 ·
imported post

Don't forget that the splitter has adjustments on it too, takes a very fine tipped straight slot screw driver, plastic tv tuner ones preferred.

Splitters can also go bad that's why I run separate antennas and coax leads.

#13 ·
imported post

As I stated earlier the antenna you have was imported by Add On and sold by a lot of dealers. It was designed to be put on the left side as a second antenna and used for the cb without the splitter. That is the reason for the extra 4.5 inches in length, to make up for the splitter not being in line. Since the Honda splitter capacitively couples the CB to the antenna there should be no continuity on the center conductor through the splitter to the antenna. The stinger should be 19.5 inches long if using the splitter and then do the fine tuning at the splitter.

#14 ·
imported post

hey guys your advice is priceless I adjusted my splitter and brought those SRW's down to just below 2 on the meter and it should work fine, I dont have another CB right now to test it with but according to my meter its transmitting flawlessly and is staying anround 1 to 2 on the meter throughout all channels. I have a question though how can you ever tune an antenna without a CB matching capable splitter? do you just keep chopping off the stinger till you get those SRW's low enough, caue I dont think it ever would have worked without having that splitter it really made tunning the SRW's a pieace of cake. My splitter still had sauder on the screws from the factory, so I had to heat'em up to turn the screw, worked like a charm. thanks again guys without your knowledge of this euipment I dont know what I would do.

#15 ·
imported post

Did you go to that other thread with the information links from the Firestik site? An antenna can be too short or too long electrically. You have to know which one it is before cutting the top stinger too short.

#16 ·
imported post

yeah I checked out the site, was just curious if a original type antenna could be tuned correctly without the use of an adjustable splitter. once I learned that the splitter was adjustable it really made life easier, I dont think any amount of trimming of the stinger on my oem antenna would have lowered the SRW's.

#17 ·
imported post

Here are the proper directions for checking the SWR on your CB.
Hope this helps,
Nightrider1
#1. Turn CB off and disconnect the antenna coax cable from the back of it.
#2. Connect the end of you antenna coax to the SWR meter where it indicates "antenna"
#3. Connect the short coax cable coming from the transmitter position on the SWR meter to the back of the CB.
#4. Turn on the CB.
#5. Set the CB to Channel 1.
#5. Set the SWR meter to the FWD position.
#7. Key microphone and turn knob until the SWR meter indicates the "set" position. Un-key microphone.
#8. Flip SWR meter to the Reflect position.
#9. Key microphone and look at the reading on the SWR meter. The lower the reading, the better. If the meter shows in red DO NOT operate CB. Re-check your connections.
#10. Turn CB to channel 40. Follow instructions 7-10 again.
#11. Adjusting your antenna (matching the 40 channel bandwidth).
#12. If the reading on channel 1 is higher than the reading on channel 40, you need to lengthen your antenna. Alternately, if the reading on 40 is higher, your antenna is too long.
#13. For example, if your reading is 1.3 on channel 1 and 2.1 on channel 40 you need to trim down the tip, turn adjusting ring, or pull out wire a small amount, cut it, and tuck it back against the coil.
#14. If your reading is 2.7 on channel 1 and 1.5 on channel 40 your antenna is too short. The only solution is to add a spring, raise the antenna, or reposition it.
#15. If any adjustments are needed, they should be made in small increments. Re-check after each adjustment. Be sure to have all components on the antenna when testing, including the tip if there is one.

#16. Re-connect the antenna after adjustment

#18 ·
imported post

Beware of any reading over 3. Do not transmit when your antenna is at or over this. You will burn out your reception completely. Make sure it is properly grounded. A good ground can be purchased from any auto store. (Its like the ground from an auto engine to the firewall.) I finally went to a black firestick. It's best to get a non groundable antenna now though. I'm gonna get me one as soon as I win the lottery, LOL
Good luck,
Nightrider1

#19 ·
imported post

thanks for the info, I think I have a working CB now I just dont have another CB at the moment to test it with, but my numbers are under 3 on the meter across all channels and I achieved most of that by just adjusting my splitter, I did cut 3-4 inches off the stinger as well. thanks again for the help guys, hopefully now my dad will get a CB on his 1800 so I can test this thing out.:action:

#20 ·
imported post

jjones0187 wrote:
thanks for the info, I think I have a working CB now I just dont have another CB at the moment to test it with, but my numbers are under 3 on the meter across all channels and I achieved most of that by just adjusting my splitter, I did cut 3-4 inches off the stinger as well. thanks again for the help guys, hopefully now my dad will get a CB on his 1800 so I can test this thing out.:action:
Just go park at a truck stop and give a shout on 19. Somebody will respond even if it's to cuss you out!!:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.