Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have had Carpal Tunnel for about as long as I can remember. I can sometimesgo for about a couple of months without a problem. Other times it flares up just holding a can of pop.

Since I bought my bike this spring (a 32 year gap between rides), It has just been terrible. Just holding the clutch in at a red light, my hand will go numb. Taking the IRC & ERC was absolutely miserable. Before anybody tells me to relax my grip, I DON"T grip hardly at all. There are times just resting my hand on the grip will trigger it. It effects both hand. So most of the time I ride with one hand & rotated them. I found that If I place my wrist on the grip with my thumb & pinkie behind the clutch/brake lever & the middle three finger over the lever, I can ride for a while before the tingling sets in.

Are there any slick tricks to combat Carpal Tunnel?:?

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
imported post

I found that putting bigger/wider grips on did it for me along with a throttle boss. Also look into aftermarket adjustable levers that might help. Not sure if the 1500 has them but the 1800 does so I did not have to get some.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,142 Posts
imported post

Don't know if it would be appropriate for you, but I just went in today to get a chiropractor to fix my back again.

I had lost the feeling in both of the small fingers on my left hand. It is better now, but it will take a few trips to keep everything where it belongs.

I also have carpal tunnel a bit and have to be extremely careful how I hold my wrists while typing...

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

AZgl1500 wrote:
I had lost the feeling in both of the small fingers on my left hand.
You have 2 small fingers on your left hand..........

Sorry.... Couldn't resist..........:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

·
Premium Member
8,072 Posts
imported post

Your chiropractor should be able to get you some relief. a cold can of pop held against your wrist will help,advil will reduce swelling and heat then cold then heat will alos give relief, stretching the area wil also help.

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

JAPWING wrote:
I found that putting bigger/wider grips on did it for me along with a throttle boss. Also look into aftermarket adjustable levers that might help. Not sure if the 1500 has them but the 1800 does so I did not have to get some.
I had ISO grips in the 1200 that I had. When I got the 1500, it just has the stock grips. I have been looking to get set of ISO w/ the throttle boss attachment.

Cruse control !
YES, That IS the main reasonI bought the 1500. I use it at every opportunity.

I've been going to a Chiropractor. I'll have to has him about the Carpal Tunnel.

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
imported post

Simple.......Surgery.

I had it bad, in both wrists. I had one dons and a couple weeks later, the other. That was over 20 years ago, and narry a problem since.

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
imported post

If my hands stay in one place too long my fingers tingle like they're going to sleep- is this carpal tunnel? I thought it was a pinched nerve in my neck...

I wear gloves, use the cruise, switch hands on the handle bars and flex the hands often, it helps.

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
imported post

I feel your pain. Stretching always works but it takes time util then take alieve

·
Pwhoever
3,181 Posts
imported post

Back in 08, I had a problem with both hands. It had been going on for a while but got progressively worse. The biggest issue was my middle finger (The one used for 1 finger salutes to express how you feel to someone who just got on your bad side) on both hands would lock closed. If I made a fist and then opened it, all the other fingers popped back open except for that one. I thought the man upstairs was just having a little fun with me at my expense for being a little to free with the salutes at times. I was diagnosed with "trigger finger" and surgery was highly recommended. Because of my job, full use of my hands was an absolute neccessity for my safety and those around me. While being diagnosed with that, I was also diagnosed with carpal tunnel in both hands. It was also recommended that since surgery was being done anyway, it was the perfect time to have the surgery for the carpal tunnel as well. It really wasn't a big issue. It was outpatient and the whole procedure took about a half hour each time. Pain was very manageable and I only really needed pain killers the night of the surgery and the next morning. The doctor made the incisions along existing lines and now that they have healed, you would never know it was done. I had one hand done, six weeks of rehab, then the other one, and 6 more weeks of rehab. It really ruined my riding season that year but I'm glad I got it done. Since I had 2 different issues going on, I'm sure my recovery took a little longer than if I was just healing from carpal tunnel surgery only. One thing though, it really makes you appreciate having two hands. Especially when you have the hand done that you really rely on. Diaper wipes will become your friend if you know what I mean.....:blushing:

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
imported post

I agree with Mike K. If your hands are that bad you probably have no choice other than surgery. As far as post op you might even want to consider a bidet.

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Richardrwg wrote:
Simple.......Surgery.

I had it bad, in both wrists. I had one dons and a couple weeks later, the other. That was over 20 years ago, and narry a problem since.
Unfortunately, I'm one of the millions of American that does not (and can not get) have any insurance. I have a Niece that's in the health care profession and she's always telling me that Carpal Tunnel surgery is quick with little down time. If I could, I would do it.

Oh well, I guess I;ll just have to live with it.:lash:

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
imported post

Have you tried going to a doctor?

·
Premium Member
1,064 Posts
imported post

galaxyhunter wrote:
Richardrwg wrote:
Simple.......Surgery.

Unfortunately, I'm one of the millions of American that does not (and can not get) have any insurance.  I have a Niece that's in the health care profession and she's always telling me that Carpal Tunnel surgery is quick with little down time.  If I could, I would do it.

Oh well, I guess I;ll just have to live with it.:lash:
Have you checked how much it costs? My Grandfather had the surgery a few years ago. It was a routine procedure, he was in and out in a day.

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
imported post

try sleeping with your hand under the pillow to keep your hand fully open for a long time and doing carpal stretching will help

·
Honda Guru
2,053 Posts
imported post

GH….
If you don't mind me asking???? what was/is your vocation?

I turned a wrench (professionally) for 35 years and got carpel tunnel in both hands. Dr's 'suggested' that I could file for workers comp because it might be work related. I had to jump through a few hoops to get the proper authorization but workers comp ended up paying for it.

It helped my case that I had the surgery done…. and then filed. It showed that I was serious about having it done… that I needed it regardless of the outcome. Fortunately I have insurance but workers comp reimbursed the ins. company.

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

rayworx wrote:
GH….
If you don't mind me asking???? what was/is your vocation?
I'm a Pattern-maker. I started in '79. I have had this back when I was a teenager. It mostly effects me at night. I have tried putting a hand under the pillow, But once asleep, It doesn't stay there long. During the night, I'll grab the blanket and if I have my hand bent all the way forward or backwards, It will get me. It is not unusual to wake up a couple times a night to shake out my hands.
I have even tried those wrist braces that the bowlers use to keep from bending my wrist. But that was so uncomfortable that I didn't get much sleep.

Luckily, Most of my riding is (/ has been) Rural, so I have lots of time to shake out the bee's. It's when I'm in town dealing with traffic lights & holding the clutchis whereI have the problem.

I've started Googling "Carpal Tunnel", & I'm going to try some of the stretching exercises.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.