Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Is there a way to find out what # my bike was manufactured? I have a 80 Goldwing Interstate and from what I've read that is the first year they came out with the Interstate and I'm wonder how close mine was to being the first one off the line. Ive tried that pronto site and all I get is my vin has been decoded and nothing else.

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks for the info but it asks for a 17 digit vin and mine is only 11.

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

The 1980 models started with serial number SC02-2000040.

What is your bikes date of manufacture? It's listed on the steering neck...

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

The date shows 1/80. vin starts with Sc02401xxxx

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

I did, all I get is DECODED and nothing else. Am I doing something worng on there?

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

1980 models were made starting in May or June of 1979, so you have a mid year model. And your S/N is pretty far off of 2000040....

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

wow 2.5 million bikes in that short of time.

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

Not necessarily. Many, many manufacturers skip numbers ahead to keep competitors from knowing how many bikes, widgets, etc, etc they sell.

The last 7 digits are not always in order, and any one of the numbers could be a check digit, to insure the serial number is a valid one.

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Aah sneeky sneeky. Well I was just curious about the "what if" it was close to the first. thanks alot for the info.

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
imported post

Hi....

I have a 1980 GL1100 Interstate too. Same here, NONE of the VIN decoders work w/our 11 digit VIN. I guess we'll never know.... :?

Sincerely,

Ken

SC02401xxxx

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

What is it you really want to know? The tag tells you what month and year the bike was made. You can also tell where it's made by the tag.

My '83's were both made in July of '82, and their S/N are only something like 325 numbers off. Could have been made the same week.

Did they made Interstates one week, then Aspencades the next, or did they mix and match on the line?

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
imported post

I saw a program a while back on HD Theater channel called, "Twist the Throttle" and it showed the Marysville, OH plant. They (now) mix bikes on the assembly line. Don't know if they did back in the day.

Sincerely,

Ken

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.