Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Alaskan Explorer on a Valk
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My rear brake pedal is sticking down on my 1100. I was going to take the pedal off to clean it up.

HOW DO YOU GET THAT COTTER PIN OUT?????

I sprayed liquid wrench on it, took the battery brkt out, and removed the worthless black bottle.

Any help!!

·
Premium Member
5,624 Posts
Heat can help. Then wiggle wiggle and spray. It can be a pain. :) No magice fix

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
cotter pin

Not sure how much access you have? If you can get something with a sharp point in the eye of the pin, maybe you can lever it out.

Rayjoe

·
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well 6 hrs later-the key has been removed. vice grips would not fit, needle nose could not get the right angle, but a long nail ground to a razor shape finally got it off.

2 hours later and I am still trying to get the pedal off the frame. I think the spring is holding it on but I can not get the spring off.
I have gotten to the point of a piece of wood and a sledge hammer. to no avail. I can only get it about 1/2 off.

This 20 min maintenance has turned into a day of frustration.

Does the pedal actually come off?

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
brake pedal

How about a couple of pictures? Maybe we will see something you haven't noticed.

I looked at partszilla but it just shows the brake pedal. Not what it's mounted to?

Rayjoe

·
Administrator
24,406 Posts
Well 6 hrs later-the key has been removed. vice grips would not fit, needle nose could not get the right angle, but a long nail ground to a razor shape finally got it off.

2 hours later and I am still trying to get the pedal off the frame. I think the spring is holding it on but I can not get the spring off.
I have gotten to the point of a piece of wood and a sledge hammer. to no avail. I can only get it about 1/2 off.

This 20 min maintenance has turned into a day of frustration.

Does the pedal actually come off?
Raise the pedal as high as it will go and the spring will come off.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Went through all that years ago with my 1100 wing. After you do get it off, polish the snot out of the shaft with a long piece of emery paper. Then make a polisher that will fit inside the arm and polish that also. I use a old aluminum arrow with a slot in it, stuff the sand paper in the slot and spin with a electric drill. Grease the hzxz out of the shaft and slide it all back together. Mine has been good for about 20 years now and the bike sits outside most of the time in my back yard.

·
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After 11 hours of dealing with this pedal, It is all back together . Now works like it should.
Will change the brake fluid tomorrow. I figure the fluid got hot or boiled with the brake sticking

Did use a lot of your info-THANKS

1 - 9 of 9 Posts