Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know, I must be a wimp. I have had lots of motorcycles and learned early on to stand on the center stand while lifting on the passenger handle. Worked well on everything but this 1800. It takes 3 men and a boy to get this one up. Actually, I can do it by myself but it is really difficult even on nice smooth concrete. Maybe I am just getting old. Actually I am getting old but didn't realize that old that soon.:raspberry:

I have seen extensions for other bikes, is there one for Goldwing?

·
Premium Member
5,319 Posts
I started using this method and I'm no spring chicken either! Works for me every time!

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
i had no proublem with my 85ltd, yet couldn't for the life of me get my 1800 on the center stand, a freind told me to put in nuetral, now no problem. i guess as it started to lift being in gear the back wheel would catch like appling the brakes. i also know one guy who backs it on a 2x6 to get it up.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
I'm old and feeble but have no trouble getting the bike on the center stand. The crucial thing is putting some pressure on the stand pedal and making sure that both feet of the stand are on the ground. If they both aren't making contact with the ground you will need a crane. I just put some pressure on the center stand pedal with my right footy while nudging the bike with my right knee until I can feel both stand pads contact the ground. At that point I just put all my weight on my right foot and the bike comes right up. Throughout the process I do hold the handlebar with my left and the passenger grip with my right hand just in case I slip off the pedal or something goes south. No lifting needed. My '06 with stock size tires will almost jump up, it even will slide a half inch backwards.

·
Premium Member
1985 GL1200 A
953 Posts
With ANY Wing/heavy bike it sure helps to be wearing boots with a steel shank in the sole, the only kind I ride with, and steel toe too.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
As has been said, there is a technique to doing it and once mastered it is not too difficult, but if you are really struggling, there is no shame in buying a ride on ride off stand, which uses the reverse gear to lift the bike onto the stand and 1st gear to take it off.
If you are at home and wanting to get the bike on the center stand, then as mentioned you can reverse the bike onto a slim plank of timber before attempting to put it on the stand.

:waving:

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
raising the suspension helps ..I finally put a ride off stand on becuase I installed a 1" lowering bracket .. ride off is a lot easier to get up than stock

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
Also as has already been mentioned, make sure the bike is in neutral. The rear wheel has to turn a bit to allow the bike to rise up.

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
I put my wing on the centerstand wearing wet flipflops. (I had just washed it). My foot slipped off and I dropped it, breaking the right mirror and denting my garage fridge. Cornpone mentioned proper footware, he is right. Don

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
Proper footwear is important though I have put my 'Wing on the center stand wearing Teva sandals. I don't know if I could do it with my current '06, for some reason it's harder to put on the stand than my '01 was.

·
Premium Member
5,319 Posts
I don't know if I could do it with my current '06, for some reason it's harder to put on the stand than my '01 was.
It's not the newer bike, you're older now! :raspberry:

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
I'm old and feeble but have no trouble getting the bike on the center stand. The crucial thing is putting some pressure on the stand pedal and making sure that both feet of the stand are on the ground. If they both aren't making contact with the ground you will need a crane. I just put some pressure on the center stand pedal with my right footy while nudging the bike with my right knee until I can feel both stand pads contact the ground. At that point I just put all my weight on my right foot and the bike comes right up. Throughout the process I do hold the handlebar with my left and the passenger grip with my right hand just in case I slip off the pedal or something goes south. No lifting needed. My '06 with stock size tires will almost jump up, it even will slide a half inch backwards.
Same technique I use with the same results.

Sidestand up, left hand on the driver's side handlebar and right hand on the passenger grip. Slight pressure on the center stand to feel when both sides are in contact with the ground, and your weight plus a little pull-back on the passenger grip should bring it right up. Sometimes I don't push down on the center stand hard enough and I get one bounce, but it always comes up.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
I recommend leaving the side stand down until the bike is on the center stand. It won't get in your way and it will save the day if you slip and the bike decides to take a nap on its left side.

·
Administrator
27,920 Posts
I used to be able to put mine on the stand with authority. A guy asked me if I could so I showed him, it scooted back 6" and lifted the front tire off the ground. Then 2 things happened, I tore a muscle in my right calf then broke my right ankle. Now I struggle some with it since I can't put a lot of pressure on the ball of my right foot.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
My 2001 would do that when I put it up on the centerstand. I do have a pretty smooth concrete floor which helps, but it would lift the front tire off and scoot back a few inches. The 2006 doesn't. It comes up but not as fast. I don't know why because their weights are just about the same. I think I need to take the center stand off and clean and lube it, that made a big difference on a couple of other bikes I had in the shop.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
I recommend leaving the side stand down until the bike is on the center stand. It won't get in your way and it will save the day if you slip and the bike decides to take a nap on its left side.
I follow this routine, for both getting the Wing onto the stand, and also for getting it off too. :claps:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
For a long time I used to drop the bike down from the center stand onto the kick stand before getting on but for the last few years I just get on and rock the bike off the center stand. It seems a lot easier and there's no tendency to lean the bike one way or the other.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
For a long time I used to drop the bike down from the center stand onto the kick stand before getting on but for the last few years I just get on and rock the bike off the center stand. It seems a lot easier and there's no tendency to lean the bike one way or the other.
I have done that a few times, but am not very good at it, I think my inseam is probably an inch or so too short. A pal I ride with often, does that every time, but we know he is longer in the leg than me. He makes it look easy, but I look like Grandma on the porch, in her rocking chair. :ROFL:

·
Administrator
27,920 Posts
I have done that a few times, but am not very good at it, I think my inseam is probably an inch or so too short. A pal I ride with often, does that every time, but we know he is longer in the leg than me. He makes it look easy, but I look like Grandma on the porch, in her rocking chair. :ROFL:
Inseam doesn't really matter, I rock it off the stand with my feet on the pegs.

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
I used to be able to put mine on the stand with authority. A guy asked me if I could so I showed him, it scooted back 6" and lifted the front tire off the ground. Then 2 things happened, I tore a muscle in my right calf then broke my right ankle. Now I struggle some with it since I can't put a lot of pressure on the ball of my right foot.
I learned to put my 2009 on the center stand using my left foot, as I have a bad right knee. It is no more difficult. Just feels a little strange the first time or two, as you are faced more into the bike.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.