Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I'm not very silent about things I don't like about the Goldwing, especially looks. The Goldwing is like putting a Porsche inside an old 1985 Cadillac body. What a big ugly old thing. But how the heck do you buy something else? You have to give up too much to get a little. I'm a sport bike lover. If I were a young man I'd be on a zoomsplat so fast it would make my grandmas head spin. I'd love to grab up something like a Kawasaki Concours and enjoy a sport touring bike but I just don't know how to give up all the good things about the Goldwing. There's too much to give up if you intend on touring. I wish Honda would do a makeover of the Wing. I wish they would upgrade the looks of these things. I know a lot of you ride and love older Goldwings but I want a Goldwing that looks like a modern zoomsplat only more upright. There's just no way. I have to settle in and ride what I got. Every bike I look at from the BMWs to the Kawasakis to whatever just don't have it all. There is no perfect bike. The truth is the Goldwing still comes the closest. I have to ride a grampa bike or I have to settle for less. I should have never bought a Goldwing. Then I'd never know what I'm missing.
End of rant-----

·
Premium Member
2,525 Posts
imported post

Hey Bob, I think I know where you're coming from. Ny wife has a Honda Shadow and my son has a Ninja so I get a little variety in my riding. The Goldwing is the King of bikes but sometimes you just want to ride something different. Maybe you should get your self a secondbike so you can have a little variety.

·
Premium Member
6,193 Posts
imported post

Maybe you should take a ride on one of these, unless I missed somthing, it has everything a Goldwing has with a little more sporty look, I like the bike myself........

Yamaha royal star venture

I think it is as close as you will get

Attachments

·
Ornery Old Cuss
308 Posts
imported post

I'm gonna get my head bit off off for this. Now don't get me wrong I love my GL 1100 I and I won't be replacing it anytime soon. I just don't have the funds. That said, if I was gonna replace it (and had the funds) I've just developed an itch for a Victory Vizion Tour. I won't bad mouth my wing, heck I love the old girl! That Victory just gave me a rush when I first saw it and I've spoken with lots of guys that went for it after a wing. I'm not sure what I like but Man I like the looks of it.
'nuff said
Richard

·
Premium Member
12,803 Posts
imported post

Bob , would the 1800 be ok if they could wrap the front in tupperware like the ST1300 ? Its not a problem I have so Iam just asking . Perhaps you can luck up and find someone with a Valk who wants to upgrade , of course thats not really crotchrocket either . I dunno ,just thinking aloud i guess .

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
imported post

wodam wrote:
I'm gonna get my head bit off off for this. Now don't get me wrong I love my GL 1100 I and I won't be replacing it anytime soon. I just don't have the funds. That said, if I was gonna replace it (and had the funds) I've just developed an itch for a Victory Vizion Tour. I won't bad mouth my wing, heck I love the old girl! That Victory just gave me a rush when I first saw it and I've spoken with lots of guys that went for it after a wing. I'm not sure what I like but Man I like the looks of it.
'nuff said
Richard

Ditto..that thing is sweet and Itest rode one a while back.

How about the Triumph Rocket III tourer? Other than a top trunk (which you might be able to get), thats looks like a possiblility too.

On the "dark" side, word has it that the new FLH Chassis is stiffer and allows for a much more sporty ride, and looks work for me.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

The Big Dog wrote:
Maybe you should take a ride on one of these, unless I missed somthing, it has everything a Goldwing has with a little more sporty look, I like the bike myself........

Dang, do those backrests look comfy!!

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
imported post

The Victory Vision handles well, I've ridden two of them for several miles in different terrain...that being said:

It doesn't have the storage of my 'Wing
It doesn't have the performance of my 'Wing
The bride did think it was comfortable

No, I'm not bashing Victory...I have an '03 Vegas that is my daily rider to work and the wife and I have logged some pretty long trips(3900 and 4600 mile trips) on it, along with numerous weekend trips to neighboring states. I just believe that despite what shortcomings the 'Wing may have in others eyes, there isn't a better motorcycle for the open road for 2 up riding. I've tried Harley's, BMW's, Yamaha's, and the big Kawasaki, all of which are good bikes. I bought the 'Wing for what it is...as someone on this forum put it, a "crotch rocket with storage". :)

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

cubix wrote:
The Victory Vision handles well, I've ridden two of them for several miles in different terrain...that being said:

It doesn't have the storage of my 'Wing
It doesn't have the performance of my 'Wing
The bride did think it was comfortable

No, I'm not bashing Victory...I have an '03 Vegas that is my daily rider to work and the wife and I have logged some pretty long trips(3900 and 4600 mile trips) on it, along with numerous weekend trips to neighboring states. I just believe that despite what shortcomings the 'Wing may have in others eyes, there isn't a better motorcycle for the open road for 2 up riding. I've tried Harley's, BMW's, Yamaha's, and the big Kawasaki, all of which are good bikes. I bought the 'Wing for what it is...as someone on this forum put it, a "crotch rocket with storage". :)
You know that's just what I'm finding. I've been running around to all the shops thinking I could find something I feel is more sporty looking but each time I find more I have to give up than what I'm gaining. All I'm really saying to someone is that if you want something else, don't buy a Wing because it's really hard to give up even if your eyes are taking you elsewhere.

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

The Big Dog wrote:

Whoa, that is a sharp bike. I wonder how she rides?

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Goldwings 4 ever wrote:
Hey Bob, I think I know where you're coming from. Ny wife has a Honda Shadow and my son has a Ninja so I get a little variety in my riding. The Goldwing is the King of bikes but sometimes you just want to ride something different. Maybe you should get your self a secondbike so you can have a little variety.
The second bike thing has crossed my mind. I don't think I'd get that by the wife. She let the first one come home without a fight but a second one would get her dander up. I don't think she'd say anything if I'd trade, but two, I might be sleeping in a tent in the back yard.
I'd kind of like to have one of these. I might be test riding one here shortly.

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

It's funny that you mentioned the "grandpa bike" thing. I used to think that way also until we were in Ocean City, MD and a teenager walked by the wing with his dad and said "look, what a cool bike" his dad just shrugged his shoulders and said yep (secret sign language meaning "no you can't have one"). Ever since then I think a lot different.:action::action::action:

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
imported post

BBach.... you have a pm......

Attachments

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
imported post

BBach, if the cost and the giving up of comforts is too much..... you could keep your Wing and:

-- get a younger girlfriend!

-- get a multi-colored tattoo!

-- trailer a Harley to rallies and sit on it!

Actually, I don't think Goldwings look "old" at all..... beautiful bikes..... I would probably have one now, but they got too "rich" for my blood.....

·
Premium Member
6,193 Posts
imported post

I hope nobody thinks I was bashing my wing..... I love my wing, but if I had to chose a different bike, it would be the Venture I put a picture of on here..... That bike rides as well as ................................... well, you get the idea...:DAnd it's less than Mel's st1300

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
imported post

Shoot, I like my wing too, but as an old sportbike rider I long for a sportier look and catlike handling and gobs of power quick. I really like the Concours and the old YamFJ's. If I went to a cruiser again I'd go Silverstar,Vulcan, Shadow..I think the Kawasaki Vulcan has the sweetest sounding thump to it. Sounds almost like a Harley only a much better smoother sound to me.

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

oldtoys1961 wrote:
Shoot, I like my wing too, but as an old sportbike rider I long for a sportier look and catlike handling and gobs of power quick. I really like the Concours and the old YamFJ's. If I went to a cruiser again I'd go Silverstar,Vulcan, Shadow..I think the Kawasaki Vulcan has the sweetest sounding thump to it. Sounds almost like a Harley only a much better smoother sound to me.
It's kind of like wanting a vette or a porsche or whatever your flavor is. I have a luxury car with a lot of power that handles extremely well (the Wing), but I want the sportscar (sport bike) too. I get a little envious when I get pictures of my son on his Ninja ZX-14 emailed to me.

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

The Big Dog wrote:
I hope nobody thinks I was bashing my wing..... I love my wing, but if I had to chose a different bike, it would be the Venture I put a picture of on here..... That bike rides as well as ................................... well, you get the idea...:DAnd it's less than Mel's st1300
It didn't sound like you were bashing your wing at all. I am not bashing mine either. In fact, I'm finding it frustrating that it is so difficult to find anything else suitable. The Goldwing is special, no doubt.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.