Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

:?Just wondering what method works best to avoid a cooler from becoming a flying bomb on the freeway. My mount is,so far just a platform welded onto the tongue. Are bungees strong enough to keep the cooler seated in it's place? Thanks. jimsjinx:waving:

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
imported post

I don't have a trailer yet, so no real experience. But considering safety and liability issues, I'd have a back-up......such as a bungee and a ratchet strap at minimum. Others here may have better ideas.......

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

We use 2 ratchet straps crisscrossed over the top, coast to coast more than once & never had a problem.:waving::waving::action::action::action:

·
Premium Member
2009 Honda Goldwing with Hannigan Trike
16 Posts
imported post

Bungees will work quite well. You should use at least 2, more if you like.

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

I would safety wire it.

I can testify that safety devices are a wonderful idea after my trailer disconnected at the ball hitch on I95 at 60mph!

If I only had 3 days to live , it would have been an exciting occasion.

·
Old School Guru
7,887 Posts
imported post

I've used one heavy duty bungee across my cooler for years, and empty or full, have never lost the cooler. I do replace the bungee cord each year.:) I have pictures of my trailer in the gallery.:)

Gene:waving:

·
Premium Member
913 Posts
imported post

on my trailer I made a frame out of angle iron to fit the cooler.next I had a vinyl cover made to fit over the cooler,at the botom of cover had it extended and put snaps on to hold it on the angle frame.the top has a zipper covering the cooler lid.unzip the top cover and open cooler...works great...here is a pic allthough not the best angle

Attachments

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
imported post

A couple of good quality bungees has worked quite well for me. One time my brother and I stopped along side the road and got some water from the cooler. About 5 to 10 miles further along he came over the CB telling me something was dragging under the trailer. Turns out I'd spaced it out and didn't strap the cooler down. It sat there in the aluminum angle frame just as though it was strapped down. I've been more careful about that ever since.

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Thanks! Man the cooler cover pic was nice. Made me hate you,though! (kidding) Very nice set up. Beautiful trailer,too.I guess I'll weld some loops for bungees to hook to. I saw the Bushtec type trailers have an elaborate little tubular frame around thier cooler mount.Now I know others use bungees,that's my answer. Thanks again. jimsjinx

·
Premium Member
93 Honda Aspencade, 112,000 + miles
162 Posts
imported post

My Cyclemate trailer has the cooler rack with a latch on each side that snaps the cooler down, they also lock with a key.

·
Registered
297 Posts
imported post

I use 2 bungee cords on each side. I've never had a problem.

·
Premium Member
2,250 Posts
imported post

I use a motorcycle cargo net. Like a bunge but square pattern with 6 hooks. They are found at most bike shops. I think they hold better than a regular bunge cord. Plus where it wraps the whole cooler it holds the lid down tight.

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
imported post

Built one using aluminum Diamond plate and angle iron. Made it to fit an Igloo Cooler - the red and white kind with the attached cover. I made the sides high enough to hold the cooler in place. Drilled a hole in the diamond plate in the front and back and use a bungee that goes over the top of the cooler - threaded thru the handle. I can open the cooler without removing the bungee. I too replace the bungee every year, and never lost a cooler. I also have four eye hooks inside my trailer that fit around a large metal coleman cooler that I use bungee cords to hold in place.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

If you look closely at mine you'll see the bungee cords on my going through the handles down to eyelets welded onto the rack. There's also a notch in the rail for the drain plug of the cooler. This pic was took before I cut the notch in it.

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
imported post

One ratchet strap and a couple of bungees works for me.
Several thousand miles with no problems.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

2slim wrote:
One ratchet strap and a couple of bungees works for me.
Several thousand miles with no problems.
What are you guys talking about? I don't use anything to tie mine down... it's built right into the trailer. :cool::cool: :cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
167 Posts
imported post

I dont carry a big cooler out side, just a small one like a 16qt or whatever. Its the size of one that most put into the hitch carrier. anyhow I made a hitch carrier and then drilled it and then the trailer tonge accordingly so that if I want I can disconnect the trailer and take a hitch cooler with me like when you go to lke at Arches or some other parks and dont want to tow. I use a couple of 1/4 x 20 bolts with the tonge nuts being welded on under the tonge.

Its an angle iron frame and I installed "dot" snaps and for the cooler made (actually wife did) an insulated cover which snaps over the carrier and to the frame. I Put some reflective insulation under the cooler.

The cover top is velcroed so we can keep lid closed but have ease of getting into the cooler. I use bunge cords thru the handles to hold the cooler to the carrier both on the trailer and as a hitch carrier. been to canada and back no problems.

If you dont understand my rambling i can send ya picture. Like I said this allows me to have a hitch carrier and cooler along whenever. We carry a larger cooler for meals etc in the trailer along with the tent etc.

·
Probationary
4,535 Posts
imported post

I use one black rubber bungee since rack has edges.... it ain't going anywhere. East in/out.

I'd post a pic, but the site isn't working well today.

·
Premium Member
20,586 Posts
imported post

I'm with Popeye.......a bungee and your good to go! :action:

What is going on with the site?? I can't post a pic..........:shock:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.