Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My hazard light switch was sticking in the on position and a little graphite spray and a lot of fiddling with it got it working consistently again.. Not so lucky with the cruse switch.

Does it have to come apart? or do you know a trick to these?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
I took mine apart and lost a small part and had to replace it,you can remove it from the handlebar and use contact cleaner,it works most of the time,WD40 works but not recommended by some owners,try that before taking it apart.

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
On my switches for the 1800 Ive had better luck with silicone lube loosening the switch and getting it operating. I tried the Radio Shack tv tuner and lube and most of the time it will work. But if the grease is too dried out the silicone lube will do the trick. Just make sure when you get the spray silicone it doesnt have any acetone or plastic solvent chemicals in the base formula.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So silicone spray will soften the factory grease that has probably hardened up in there where as the graphite wouldn't?

How about a spray electrical contact cleaner?

·
Administrator
24,490 Posts
Do what I do, if it's on why worry about it?

·
Administrator
21,889 Posts
I have sprayed WD-40 around the stuck button for a quick fix and most of the time, it worked fine. I always open the switch pod up when I get a chance and clean things correctly.

Always make sure you use a plastic-safe cleaner. (it will say it on the can...see pic) Some of them can melt the plastic.

Dielectric grease is readily available at any hardware store, if you want to do the job right.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
I don’t think it’s the grease,it’s just Time taking it’s toll,the switch just gets dirty and doesn’t make contact.its a tiny ball in there and don’t take much to make it fail.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well... last night I got desperate to fix it. I squirted Liquid Wrench in around the switch and BLASTED it with the air nozzle!!

That did it - It is working consistently now! I'm very happy and satisfied.

·
Administrator
24,490 Posts
Well... last night I got desperate to fix it. I squirted Liquid Wrench in around the switch and BLASTED it with the air nozzle!!

That did it - It is working consistently now! I'm very happy and satisfied.
Now leave it on and don't worry about it.

·
Premium Member
1,684 Posts
My solution to these switches is "use it or lose it." I frequently use my on and off cruise switch. And I do use the hazard one too. To occasionally unstuck the hazard switch I use the back of my fingernail to swipe the button under pressure. This way when i reach the edge will have a sudden release. When it starts to work I turn it on and off multiple times and Im good for a long time. The only switch I don't use any longer is the one for fog lights. I had a problem long time ago and disassembled it and fixed it. Decided to leave it on for good.

·
Administrator
24,490 Posts
My solution to these switches is "use it or lose it." I frequently use my on and off cruise switch. And I do use the hazard one too. To occasionally unstuck the hazard switch I use the back of my fingernail to swipe the button under pressure. This way when i reach the edge will have a sudden release. When it starts to work I turn it on and off multiple times and Im good for a long time. The only switch I don't use any longer is the one for fog lights. I had a problem long time ago and disassembled it and fixed it. Decided to leave it on for good.
The thing with the cruise main switch is "why is it there?" there is no reason I can think of to even have a main switch so mine has been on since I've had the current bike and on the one before.

·
Administrator
21,889 Posts
The switch is there because there is a remote possibility someone may accidentally hit the set switch, and not know what's going on when they let off the gas and the bike doesn't slow down, so they might freak out and jump off the bike at speed and while tumbling down the tarmac, crash into a baby carriage and seriously injure a small child, opening up Honda to a huge lawsuit...and the lawyers would say; "if only you had put an on/off switch on that cruise control panel..."

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
What Bike said but it's more likely some gubernment reglitution than a Honda decision.

I remember one of our representatives in the federal legislature proposing a regulation on the size of windshield washer fluid tanks in cars because he'd run out before winter was over.:surprise:

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Oh boy, you guys crack me up

Really you do, - yesterday I was grumpy after dinner and my wife suggested I get on the forum for a half hour to cheer up--

Umm, It works!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts