Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
920 Posts
Walt I can take pictures of the mounting points from my Wing but depending on the model of car your getting they may not be what you need. what make and model do you have ordered

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm looking for bike side only. I have the ability to manufacture what I need. By seeing the bike side mounts I will have a good starting point. I sort of figured to remove the center stand and use that for the rear lower mount.

·
Premium Member
920 Posts
what brand car are you getting

each model of sidecar uses different type of mounting hardware that come from the car and go to the bike. depending on what type car you are getting will determine where it will mount to the bike and what would be needed because the cars subframes are different. as an example on mine it came with the hardware designed to fit my bike, it is a Motorvation II. I had to drill one hole in the webbing of the frame under the seat as the top rear mount, I had to drill and tap the threads larger on the frame at the front for the front lower mount, the top mount bolted to the frame at the radiator with a bracket for the arm and the lower rear bolted to the frame at the passenger floor board.
I did not have to touch my center stand.
now you take a champion sidecar and it will mount completely different and most likely in different places and require different type hardware
so as I said it depends on the car your getting as to whether pictures of my set up will help you

·
Registered
18 Posts
I am forced to use universal hardware. Rectangular tubing in a rectangular form. I can mount anywhere on my frame. looking for take offs on the bike. My bike is a 93 1500.

·
Premium Member
920 Posts
Walt, I can only strongly suggest that you get advise and help from someone experienced in installing sidecars. I can only strongly suggest that you NOT use universal mounts on your set up, especially with something as heavy as a Gold Wing
I say this for your safety. universal mounts just DON'T work for anything safely. sidecars when set up right are great and a lot of fun to ride, however if you use sub par mounting hardware it can very quickly become a NIGHTMARE not only in the struggle to get it together but in the risk of it failing while riding
Go to sidecar.com and ask for advise and help with you build. there are a lot of people that can offer advise and maybe even help you hunt down bike specific mounting hardware to work with your sidecar
you still haven't said what sidecar your buying
Good luck

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks, I have a very good Wing man doing this. He's been building and riding for about 40 years. My car is not to carry a passenger (except in case of emergency), it is to hold the bike up and haul groceries. 99 % of my riding will be within 20 miles of home. Mostly below highway speeds.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts