Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

A sample of what can go wrong .

I just came homefrom a store 2 miles away , i go there often . Where i pulled out , looking to the left the road has a long sweeping curve and the store has a 2 ' wide sign maybe 7 ' tall sitting near the curb . What happened is this , The motorcycle coming at me was completely blocked by that narrow 2 ' sign . He was riding just the rightline around the curve to be totally hidden by a very narrow sign .

I drive like a 90 year old but if i was the typeto come pulling out quickly neither i or the bike would have had time to react .

As a motorcycle rider i will be very careful of that driveway in the future as well .

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
imported post

It's amazing (scary) how many of those little blind spots are out there. I've got a few around here I've learned to wary of as well.

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
imported post

now i understand why all the signs out here have shotgun holes in them, for visibility!! makes perfect sense...

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Talk to the Dept Of Highways, they'll get it moved as it's probably on the highway right of way and is a safety hazard.

·
Premium Member
2,019 Posts
imported post

YIPES!!!!

Can anyone say, "Contributory Negligence"??

I'm sure the store owner would LOVE to know of your experience. You just might save him or her a bundle of money, as well as a precious human life.

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
imported post

Or just pass the location and store's phone number up here; I'll call (as I'm sure others would)

Around here, there's quite a few businesses looking for any edge in getting noticed, watching for the permanant signs is enough work, but these temporary signs are something that I watch, and call on as soon as I see they are a hazard.

After all, if I'm not the rider that goes down, it'll be some other rider.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Sounds to me that the rider could use some waking up too. Riding the fog line is always a risk because it gives one very little time to do anything if something comes out on the road. That's why it makes more sense to ride the left tire track. Unless you're really carving the curves and are willing to accept the additional risk of hitting what you can't see.

·
Administrator
58,192 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
Sounds to me that the rider could use some waking up too. Riding the fog line is always a risk because it gives one very little time to do anything if something comes out on the road. That's why it makes more sense to ride the left tire track. Unless you're really carving the curves and are willing to accept the additional risk of hitting what you can't see.
+1

I will NOT drive the right hand lane of a multi-lane road. It is just far too dangerous for the reasons described above. That includes when I am in my car/truck.

It negates you having enough reaction distance, and takes away what I call, "My moving firewall between Me and Them."

If I intend to go straight through an intersection, I do NOT want to be in the right hand lane. No buffers there to handle the idiot red light runners.

I want a buffer vehicle to the right of me, forward enough to be seen before I venture into the intersection. IF, that buffer vehicle is not available, then I wait for that Green light to be lit about 5 seconds or so before I start moving. IF the light turns green as I am approaching the intersection, I want to be 10-15 seconds late going through that intersection.

Call me what ever you want, but those are my rules.

I drive my ride to stay alive.

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
imported post

We have many two lane(same direction) roads around here that have unlimited access and many of them have no left turn lane at intxns--so if you get in the left lane, you get hung up by vehicles that are making left turns. Gotta stay in the right lane if you want to make progress.

I have only one rule, and that is to use extreme due diligence.

·
Premium Member
1,169 Posts
imported post

If I was a store owner, I would not want to get any kind of call from "Satan".
Go Man Go!!!!!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.