Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi all

Can anyone give me an idea of how easy an 1100 coldwing motor should be to turn using a socket and 12" bar with THE PLUGS IN on the crankshaft nut?

IE. should it be easy, hard or just impossible?

Many thanks

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Fairly hard if the compression is good but not impossible.
Pull the plugs and try it if you think you might be having problems with it.

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks for that unfortunately my problem is the other way i can turn it without much effort which makes me suspect the compression is poor

any more thoughts?

·
Premium Member
1,221 Posts
imported post

Be aware do not turn that crankshaft nut anti clockwise !!! you run the risk of undoing it!!! IT IS SAFER TO PUT THE BIKE ON CENTRE STAND AND PUT INTO GEAR AND ROTATE THE REAR WHEEL . :waving::waving::waving:

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

miroku800 wrote:
Thanks for that unfortunately my problem is the other way i can turn it without much effort which makes me suspect the compression is poor

any more thoughts?
Sure. Do a compression test so you know where you stand.

·
Premium Member
12,781 Posts
imported post

:waving:Hello and Welcome . Is this a new to you bike ? Was it running and suddenly quit ? Its possible you have had the timing belts slip a cog and now the valves are bent ,so no more compression . BTW this could also happen if you just replaced the belts incorrectly. If the bike has beensitting a great while the valves could have been stuck in an open position and damaged.

Please come back and visit often with us . Lots of info here to share .

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Hi
I think I may have found my problem after a quick look in daylight I have found a couple of very tight tappets which seem to have improved things after readjustment

The engine is a new one to me and I have bought it to replace a siezed one on a bike I have arranged to buy (waiting on some patio work to be done to give more manouvering room before I collect it), so it is just on the 'bench' getting the once over in the meantime

ATB
Rob

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
imported post

That should be a great time to check over that motor. When were the timing belts replaced?
Later Rumple

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Timing belts were apparently replaced a year or so ago before the donor bike was taken off the road (they don't even look dirty)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.