Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

How often do you experience a close-call with a car not noticing you?

• 1 per 25 miles (40 km)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1 per 50 miles (80 km)

• 1 per 75 Miles (120 km)

• 1 per 100 miles (160 km)

• 1 per 200 miles (320 km)

• 1 per 400 miles (650 km)

• 1 per 1000 miles (1600 km)

• Less often (Specify)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

So, as I was riding to and from a friend's memorial day BBQ, I was merged into by a woman who was trying to light a cigarette, and on the way back, a car packed with people pushed me into the left shoulder.

That was a 40 mile round-trip. On average, I have one per 100 miles. (160 km's)

How often does it happen to the rest of you?

Also, what kind of roads do you usually use?

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I must be lucky, I've ridden about 4000 miles in the past five weeks and haven't had a single incident. In the past year I've ridden around 12,000 miles and only had one incident where a cager apparently didn't see me and pulled out in front of me on the road. Of course I can't say that has anything to do with motorcycling, I've had more incidents when driving my car or truck.

The roads I ride are 50% two lane 35-55 mph speed limits, 25% four lane non-divided 25-45 mph limits and the rest freeway at 60-75 mph speed limits. I feel safest on the freeway due to the lack of left turners and cross streets. I actually feel more comfortable on the freeway in heavy traffic on my bike because I can see the vehicles around me better.

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
imported post

Hehe! Are you sure you want to pursue this? If some of the wives see this link they may make their other half sell their Wings! :shock:

Or encourage them to go out riding more often! :clapper:

Bob :11grey:

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

Depends where I'm riding. In the city it happens more often.

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
imported post

HI,Exavid,i hope you nver have to ride inEngland in the south east counties,it seems to me most car drivers have tunnel visoin,iride my trike 4 or 5 times a week,over 5 days i cover approx 3 to 4 hundred miles,and i find 80% of cars tailgate me,also on the motorways if i am doing 70mph they all seem to be going at 90mph,maybe to prove to me they can go faster,on the one occasion iexceeded the speed limitby 15mph i got nicked.:XBack to topic of being hasseled on the road,over here if at the lights you are not moving on the amber the car behind you is tooting on his horn,it is very hard to keep your cool,:XOne other thing they do is to come out of side turnings onto main roads without looking left or right,and the mumber of car drivers who use mobile phones while driving is unbelevible,if caught by the police it is quite a big fine,but it does not seem tomake any differance,althougth i ride a trike some car drivers still don't see me till the last moment.bikerfred

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
imported post

I use to have close calls everyday back when a mc was my only transportation in the summer months. FINALLY after years of dealing with the idiots i stopped worrying about what i was doing and started paying attention to what everyone else was doing. Close calls stopped.Now that im riding at lest 40 miles a day again i have not had a single panic situation arise YET but i still don't worry about what im doing. It's the other guy i paying attention to!!

Pat

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

I live in a town of 28000 and everyday I dodge some sonofabeayoch that is such a hurry that gosh forbid they should stop at that nasty sign.

That's in my service vehicle. Old folks that can't see past the nose of their vehicle and kids in such a hurry that stopping is just so much of a problem fer sure.

That's why I have added a headlight modulator and air horns to my bike. When I see a car rolling up fast on a stop sign, I give them a dose of the horns and the modulator winks the headlight deeply day or night.

Nothing replaces paying attention. But geez, shouldn't that apply to cagers too?:whip:

·
Premium Member
299 Posts
imported post

In my city there's plenty of idiots, I like to get out of the city as fast as I can and get on the old country roads, There you just have to watch out for deer running across the roads, but their more predictible then some of the drivers in town, You really gotta watch out for what the other people are doing, I've stayed out of trouble by keeping my eyes open, I've seen enough recks on bikes that I know I don't want to be in one,

You really have to know how to manuver your bike, and don't forget there's all that power at your right hand to get you out of harms way, I've seen way to many bikers lay their bike down, when all they had to do was accelrate to get out of harms way.

Safe riding, and Watch out for the other guys on the road, Expecially the idots on cell phones, Their calls are more important to them then which lanes they wonder around in, and who's around,

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
imported post

I've been riding for 44 years and have come to the conclusion that after I turned about age 35 the number of "close calls" have been reduced to almost nothing.  Before that it was an almost every trip occasion.  Somewhere along the line I slowed down.  When I ride now I usually ride more like I drive a car, taking the normal care that a motorcycle requires, staying at the same speed as the flow of traffic.  The only time I fool around is when I'm in the twisties in the mountains, and then only if traffic is very light.  Can't remember the last time I've ridden over 80 mph, even on the super slab.I remember reading in Reader's Digest years ago that a man becomes middle aged when he's more concerned about how long his car will last rather than how fast it will go.  Guess the same holds true for cycles as well.  Guess I'm definitely middle aged even though i'm in my 60's.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

jkmolt wrote:
I've been riding for 44 years and have come to the conclusion that after I turned about age 35 the number of "close calls" have been reduced to almost nothing. Before that it was an almost every trip occasion. I remember reading in Reader's Digest years ago that a man becomes middle aged when he's more concerned about how long his car will last rather than how fast it will go. Guess the same holds true for cycles as well. Guess I'm definitely middle aged even though i'm in my 60's.
I think when a man gets into his late middle age he's more concerned about how long HE will last! Thinking back on it I think you have the answer, I used to have more close calls when I was young. The habit of defensive driving is pretty strong for me, you can't drive charter buses without being in that mode. Whenever there's another vehicle in sight, I try to consider all the possibilities of what it might do andhow I would respond.If you can anticipate, a surprise won't be an emergency. Sticking close to the speed limits, leaving a good following interval, keeping aware of the big picture, go a long way to safety on the road.

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
imported post

Since I was in a severe crash in 1967, I think every vehicledriver or pedestrian are a complete idiot that can do any stupid thing when I less expect it.

That makes that I never more will be in an incident.

But I still love motorcycledriving and drive about 10.000miles/year

Regards

Thomas / Sweden

:18blue:

(Crash 1967 = 1 dead and 2 severly injured)

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
imported post

PatinIdaho wrote:
I
use to have close calls everyday back when a mc was my only
transportation in the summer months. FINALLY after years of dealing
with the idiots i stopped worrying about what i was doing and started
paying attention to what everyone else was doing. Close calls
stopped.Now that im riding at lest 40 miles a day again i have
not had a single panic situation arise YET but i still don't worry
about what im doing. It's the other guy i paying attention to!!

Pat
I must agree, I also choose back roads as much as possible.

·
Premium Member
1,399 Posts
imported post

I follow what Pat said to a T..And yet I still enjoy my riding time...

You know what your going to do!

But you have to be on the lookout for what the cages are not supposed to be doing!!

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

No problems like that on the Islands. :clapper:Everyone waves to each other and no one is in a hurry. :clapper:

:leprechaun::18red::leprechaun:

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
imported post

Excavid, I find it interesting that you mention driving charter buses.  When I retired from teaching I went back to driving truck for about six months.  Amazing, isn't it, how defensive you have to be, especially when you're driving a large vehicle that some how lots of people find to be invisible!

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

jkmolt wrote:
Excavid, I find it interesting that you mention driving charter buses. When I retired from teaching I went back to driving truck for about six months. Amazing, isn't it, how defensive you have to be, especially when you're driving a large vehicle that some how lots of people find to be invisible!
Too true, I don't expect them to see me on a bike when they can't see a 45' coach.

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
imported post

OT But what the heck.

I have drove school buses(65 pac) and semis.105,500 gvwr. 156,000 gvw once! Man am i glad there were no chicken coups that night!!!!!

People don't look and they just don't realize thereNOT gonna stop. You slam on the binders of a fully loaded heavy haul semi and nothing much happens!!!. You just kinda slowly glide to a stop.

Anyway sandpoint hadcity buses running i would be getting on there for sure. Small world for sure.

Pat

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
imported post

I mainly experience the lane drifter or tailgaiter on my daily commutes to work through Denver. Since I bought the GW, it doesn't happen as much as when I was on the Beemer.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Uncle Tut wrote:
I mainly experience the lane drifter or tailgaiter on my daily commutes to work through Denver. Since I bought the GW, it doesn't happen as much as when I was on the Beemer.
You probably look more like a motorcycle officer!

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Make sure and wear a white helmet and yellow jacket. :whip:

:walker::18red::walker:

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.