Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

84 GL1200 Aspencade...just repaired....1/3 throttle post....For starters, I live in the mountains of Arizona around 5200ft. During the day, it gets above 90 out but never past 95. Now that the bike is running a lot better, just wondering if temperature running at 1 to 2 bars above 1/2 is normal for that temperature out? When I ride at night(60s-70) it runs at 1/2-1 bar above 1/2. Does that sound typical?

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
imported post

I have and 84A it runs at 4bars on the highway,though its fully serviced before srvice it still was @ four..Have you flushed it out before and added fresh antifreeze??At idle it wil rise till the fan kicks on then drops though
i dont let it idle long.

·
Premium Member
229 Posts
imported post

My LTD does it we have been running around 95-98 here in central Georgia but at night it runs half way like yours.I rode my bike from Forsyth Ga. to Perry Ga down I-75-I-475 then I-75 this is 30 miles south of Macon Ga.I was running about 70 miles per hour with my wife and myself on back about 60 miles this is the first time I really cut it loose since I got everything right the old girl run like a charm the only gripe is when I came off of the ramp and had to sit at a stop lite to go through Perry Ga when the fan comes on you cook but once you get rolling things get some better but in 95 degree weather the heater works great but the air ain't hitting on spit had to through that in.Maybe someone else could tell what kind of reading they are getting in 95 degree weather.Have a blessed day.

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
imported post

There is at least one other thread (maybe a couple) that folks gave input on what the temp shows on the 1200 Aspy. It seems there may be two different sensors as about half the folks said normal operating temp was 4 bars and the other half said 6 bars. On really hot days (100 degrees an over) and running hard into a head wind I can see 8 bars on my aspy, I don't see this very often an I usually slow down when I do :) Typically it runs around 5 to 6 bars once warmed up. It sounds like yours is running about right.

·
Premium Member
3,200 Posts
imported post

4-5 bars all the time

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
imported post

i think its relative to the guage and the sending unit therefore i would get a laser thermometer and check the temp, at the head water pipes and the radiator top and bottom that way you know the cooling system is doing its job.
my 86 sei runs 3 bars on 100+ deg. days and up to 4 when the fan comes on and cools back down to 3 bars at this time it is like 200 deg.

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
imported post

'86 Aspy 3 bars normal for mine, sitting at a stop light or idling in heavy traffic goes up to 4,5 bars. I get worried when it starts to hit 6 bars (I don't know why, seldom happens I guess.)

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
imported post

'86 Aspy 3 bars normal for mine, sitting at a stop light or idling in heavy traffic goes up to 4,5 bars. I get worried when it starts to hit 6 bars (I don't know why, seldom happens I guess.)

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
imported post

'84 Aspy - 4 bars on cooler days, 5 bars on hotter days. Sometimes it hits 6, but fan comes on and brings it down.

·
Premium Member
689 Posts
imported post

manual saya anywhere between 2 and eight bars is normal

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.