Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

A friend and I went riding the other day, and we switched bikes (he has a 2004) to check handling characteristics. Man Oh Man is his peppy!:boo: He has about 59000 on his, but when you just slightly twist the throttle at about 1500rpm, that thing really pulls hard like you went into warp drive or something.:cooldevil: He swears its stock and he hasn't done anything special to it. I believe him, but I'm puzzled. He said that he hasn't changed the air filter or plugs in about 30,000.

I've never bought a new bike before, does anyone know many miles it takes before the 1800 loosens up enough to really give you a kick when you twist the grip?

I'm running Honda GP4 standard oil, I've got some HGP4 synthetic that I was going to start using, but I've been waiting to get through to about 8,000 or so. Maybe longer depending on the actual break in period.

Any ideas?

Thanks!:bowing:

Daveo

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,198 Posts
imported post

I have only ridden one gl1800, and that was a rental bike.
It had about 3,500 miles on it when I rode it and the comparison is to my gl1500.

To me, that one seemed to be plenty willing to get up and run with the slightest hint of a twist on the throttle.

But, you are comparing two different bikes and after you have a lot of miles on the one you've been riding.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
imported post

Just an example.

A Friend and I bought identical bikes when I got out of Marine Corps back in the 70's.

These were duplicate XS750 Specials.

They were identical in every respect and both ran the same in the beginning.

I babied Mine and he beat his hard.

I followed the maintenance schedule and he maybe changed his oil once a year and never the air filters or plugs.

After awhile. His was always faster in every respect.

Used to piss me off.

My bike ran fine, Just like New and was a strong runner but not the screaming Banshee Bike he had.

I have seen this in Autos too.

I have heard all my Life to drive it like you want to and it will run that way.

Now the mechanic in me says that is not possible or logical. But I myself have seen it more than once.

Just my two cents.

Mohawk

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Hmmm... I see your point, and the illogic too. I hope that mine gets a little more willing as time goes on. My friend did recommend that I open it up to 100 or more a few times a year to blow it out. Maybe that's part of his 'maintenance'. After riding his, I'm not in a big hurry to change the plugs every 8000 or the airfilter either. Seems like somethings can wait and performance not be decreased. He also tells me that he averages about 220-240 between fillups. Thats a good 20-40 miles more per tank than I am getting right now. If I baby mine, I'll get about 41mpg doing around town and some highway driving. So I don't think there is any particular mechanical issue. It is just amazing how much difference there is in how his runs.

·
Administrator
26,569 Posts
imported post

I have over 18000 on mine and can't tell if it's any different than it was when new but any change would be gradual and wouldn't be noticeable by me. Going from an 1100 to an 1800 was like from a bicycle to a rocket initially but now I'm used to it and it's not quite as awesome as it was.

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
imported post

I got my 2008 GL1800 just over two months ago. Since then I have put 4000 miles on it. I got it with 1 mile on it. It took off like a rocket from the dealer then and this morning as well. Last weekend on the highway passing cars was a pleasure and has been since I drove it home the first time.

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Maybe its the color. My friend's was Metallic Red! I've got titanium.

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

Y u know red --is the fastes color !

·
Premium Member
3,403 Posts
imported post

You have to remember that the 1800 has fuel injection and all that computer stuff.

It will adapt to the way you ride to a certain extent. If you are in the habit of opening it up periodically, running the revs up and so on in the lower gears, the adaptive part of the programming will set up the mapping for that type of riding.

I don't really understand the details of all this, but my son, who is a mechanic and a Mustang freak, is always telling me that if you want it to run like a bat out of hell you have to drive it like that.

As for running in, my 06 kept improving on gas mileage until about 15000 km, then it seemed to level off, which sort of tells me that the innards were as polished as they were going to get.

Ride safe, but ride it like you stole it when you can!

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

EB - can you point me someplace that describes the adaptive aspects of the FI system? This is intriguing! I do ride like an old woman most of the time. :cooldevil:

I forgot to add 'on her way to church on sunday' to the above description.

Davogd430 - you're right. I wouldn't have noticed it myself if I hadn't ridden my friends 2004.

·
Premium Member
63,058 Posts
imported post

I think it has to do with what Mohawk and English Bob said.. The break in..
I swapped my 1500 with a friend that has a 1500, same year.. My bike had about 4k more miles.. He has never pushed his bike from day one.. I'm the 3rd owner of mine.. I don't know what the first guy did but the 2nd guy only put 59 miles on it before I bought it.. Since I bought mine, I pretty much drive it like I stole it..
My friends bike was a complete Dog.. He said it had been tuned about 4k ago.. I couldn't believe the difference.. It had no jump and you had to wind the crap out of it to get it going.. I also get about 2/3 more MPG.. He was amazed at the difference also.. Even his bikes handling was sluggish..We have different tires.. The whole thing felt like I was dragging an anchor.. It wasn't dragging brakes, I checked that and tire pressure with right on.. Out of gear it rolled fine..
Got to be break in..........

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,198 Posts
imported post

When I bought my gl1500se, it had 57,300 miles on the clock.

Ran like a piece of shi*

I managed to the crap out of the carbs and just rode it like it was stolen and I didn't care if it broke.

It never broke, it just kept running better and better over time.

Towards the last, it would pull the front wheel off the ground in 1st gear at every stop light if I didn't keep my hands off the throttle.

I remember riding the twisties with RedWinger out in Poway, California and up that mountain there that everybody likes. I loved the Apple Pie at the mountain top restaurant. Oh, back to the bike.

I managed to stay on RedWinger's tail nearly all the way. Him on his gl1800 and me on my gl1500. How? I kept the tach above 4,000 rpm the whole day long. It was consistently topping 6,000 rpm at times, but the motor never once offered to stop. It did hit the rev limiter a couple of times too.

But this is where a lot of the front wheel lift offs occurred. Especially when pulling hard at an intersection and he had turned left. 3,500 or more and hitting 1st gear and the wheel comes up.

Ride 'em like you stole 'em. You can't hurt one of them flat horizontal engines.

·
Premium Member
63,058 Posts
imported post

Where's Poway CA, I love apple pie...........

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

Thanks William!:) I found a video of the factory assembly of the goldwing and they do run the engine on a test stand and then again on a dyno. I'll bet that is the break in this guy is talking about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVJXtYoGk9I (needs to be set as a link) or cut and paste it into a new session.

It is a good video showing the assembly of a goldwing at the factory. It has a Discovery logo

Thanks for that great article!

Daveo

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

put some fuel injector cleaner in yours and check the air cleaner

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

yes but they only run it thru gears to test it. not to break them in. i have a history channel video where they also assembly a 1800. they test the engine on the bench. then when it is complete. they run it on a dyno just to check the speed reading, lights, gears, funny sounds and brakes.

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

Well, I guess I'm condemned to a little ol lady granny running bike. I'm way past the 1st twenty miles. :crying:This guy was claiming you need an oil change at 20 miles.

·
Premium Member
6,278 Posts
imported post

grambo wrote:
put some fuel injector cleaner in yours and check the air cleaner
:shock::shock:the bikes only done just under 3000, dont touch it for ages ,,, take it out and thrash it!!!!,, red line it,, in second and third,,feel the world pass you by ,like your stuck in a vcr on fast forward:cheeky1:itll do you both the world of good;):waving:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.