Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My '81 1100I is taking a very long time to warm up. And it really runs poorly until it warms up so it is difficult to ride after first starting it up in the morning. I pull the choke, start it up and as the rpms start to rise I push the choke in slowly. It can take 5 minutes before I can push the choke all the way back in. By then the temp has come up and the engine smooths out. I have sync'd the carbs btw.

Is this normal behavior or is something not adjusted correctly on my carbs?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,929 Posts
imported post

More than likely it's a stuck thermostat that is causing your problem. Even when very cold out, my 1100 can run smoothly without choke after 30-45 seconds.

If the thermostat is stuck wide open, it is letting coolant flow through the engine as if it was extremely hot, even though it's cold...so any heat the engine IS generating, is being sucked right out of it.

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
imported post

Eh, mine takes at least 5 minutes to get driveable, and I've done the full Randakk rebuild with numerous synchs.

I can certainly ride off before that provided the choke is half on, but it's just not happy until the needle gets off 'c'. It's an old bike, and I accept the fact it may take longer to clear it's lungs.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

My 1500 also needs a good warm up, in cold weather I leave enough choke on to keep the idle rpms up around 1200rpm or so. Once the temperature gauge needle gets above the lowest mark I can take the choke off. If I pull the choke off too soon the bike will hesitate badly after a stop. If I'm on a road without any stops I can take the choke off sooner. The 1100's I've had also didn't like running well until they had a good warm up.

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
imported post

I juyst posted the same question yesterday. My 1200 is so stubborn in the early am.She does not want to cooperate and start. i sometimes fear she will kill her battery before starting.
Once started its the same you have said. I need to wait till the temp goes up to the normal point before she quits her complaining.
My questions asked if there was anything to do with the oil I am using, as I feel it is heavy ion the cold and the engine is forced.

What ambient temps are you whitnessing now. I start her in the morning when its between 28 and 40 fareheit.
Wonder if it will be different when temps rise.

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
imported post

my 1200 aspy runs rugh on part chock until two bars are showing on the temp gage

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
imported post

My 1200 is also very cold natured, I plan on carb sync with new Morgan Carb tune this weekend , although I think that is just her nature taking a while to warm from sleep:)

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
imported post

These bikes are cold blooded they have long runners to the heads. This is 30 yr old technology at work.

We all have gotten spoiled with fuel injection. Start the bike with full choke & then slowly push in part way and then drive away with the choke on. Once you get a couple of blocks you should be able to push the choke in the rest of the way. An engine takes a lot longer to warm up at idle than it does if it is moving.

Hard starting is not always a carb issue, can be fuel pump or timing as well.

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
imported post

She starts very easily, and as you say after a couple eighthsof a mile, disengage choke,purrs like a kitten, although here in Ga., not that cold cold weather... Prior to sync I should definately do plugs, air filter, fuel filter, and change out belts.

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
imported post

My 1200 used to be the same way. A few years ago my carbs were really blocked up after several years of storing without draining the floats. I took it in and had a mechanic disassemble, clean, and reassemble the carbs. Now it's like having a different bike. I can start it and ride it away (with a touch of choke) after only 1 minute. Used to be at least 5 minutes. Still cold blooded, but not anything like it used to be.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

The mention that it's old technology is pretty much on the mark. My '86 SEi would start right up and ride off with no hesitation in cold weather. The EFI made a HUGE difference, the bike would start and idle the same hot or cold.

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
imported post

My '80 1100I is cold blooded. It takes a while to get the choke completely off.

I removed the thermostat & tested it in a pan of water on the kitchen stove. It opened & closed at the temperatures stated in the Honda manual.

The bike is new to me & I have only ridden it around the block a few times so far.

Once the temperature gauge moves into the white area the bike rides just fine. Takes quite awhile running in the driveway to warm up. Much better now that the idle mixture screws are set properly & the carbs synch'd.

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
imported post

i think it's a Honda thing. seems i had to keep a fire lit under them just to keep them warm so they would fire in cooler weather. although since pistol Pete rebuilt my carbs my 1000 does start better in cold weather.

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
imported post

I must be the lucky one. An 80 I ( sold) and an 83 A . After I cleaned the carbs etc. both would start in 25f weather with the choke on about 30 seconds then run great as long as I took off right away. Idle was low (650 rpms)for 2 or three minutes but it would idle.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.