Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I let my Wing warm up until the temp guage shows its first bar. Is it necessary to warm it up that long, or can I start out after about 2-3 minutes and ride slowly until the temp guage shows its first bar and then give 'er?

·
Premium Member
973 Posts
imported post

I fire mine up and head out the driveway without any warm up. I take it easy on the bike for the first half mile (this is the stop sign at the end of my dead end road) After I get up to speed from the stop sign, I take the choke off and ride away without thinking about it. I ride a 1200 and if it dows not like the choke being off it will definitely let you know about it.

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
imported post

I let it warm up for about a minute, half-choked. Long enough to install the helmet and Oakleys. I take off and about the same 1/2 mile down the road, lift the choke and go 3 miles or 300, whichever day it happens to be, either workdays or weekends.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

By the time I get my gloves and helmet on my old 1100 is ready to go full throttle. Most the time when it's above 50 degrees I don't even use the choke to start her.

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

I let mine warm up while I put on the helmet and gloves. By that time it is ready to go. Summer, no choke, winter, I keep it at about 1500 rpm again, until I have my helmet and gloves on.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,793 Posts
imported post

Back it out of the garage, hit the starter, let it burble a couple of times, and off I go.

It is actually easier on the engine to just take off, than to let it idle cold for a long time. Warms it up faster.

Just don't get crazy with the throttle until the gauge is up a mark or two.
:leprechaun:

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

If you have oil pressure, you have protection. Just be kind for the first couple miles until your rubber seals become more pliable from heat & lubrication. That way things wont start to leak!

On my "Hawg", I have to let it get warm first because the barrels actually float until they expand from the heat. If I torque on it cold, I leak oil from the lower seals.:X

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

SpiderBob wrote:
I let mine warm up while I put on the helmet and gloves. By that time it is ready to go. Summer, no choke, winter, I keep it at about 1500 rpm again, until I have my helmet and gloves on.
Winter. :dude:

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
imported post

Rudy, You are a cruel, cruel man!

Bernie

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Dubswing wrote:

Bernie
That's true:cooldevil: but in this case I was ragging SpiderBob for referring to 'winter' from San Dimas California. :cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
imported post

Whats this choke thingy you guys keep talking about?:cooldevil:

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
imported post

Rudy wrote:
Dubswing wrote:

Bernie
That's true:cooldevil: but in this case I was ragging SpiderBob for referring to 'winter' from San Dimas California. :cheeky1:
What is winter for Californians? An overnight or two of 55 and maybe a little rain? :D

·
Senior Moment Member
3,707 Posts
imported post

Choke is what you do to someone who gets in the way when you want to go out for a ride, the colder the weather the longer you have to choke them to get them out of the way....

:D

·
Senior Moment Member
3,707 Posts
imported post

I lived on Oxnard/Port Hueneme CA (just north of LA on the coast for those who are California challenged) for 10 years and rode year round.

The only bad part about winter there was you had to put on a warmer coat before you could ride!!

·
Premium Member
3,791 Posts
imported post

Hanko wrote:
Choke is what you do to someone who gets in the way when you want to go out for a ride, the colder the weather the longer you have to choke them to get them out of the way....

:D
That's one reply that I'm gonna' have to remember... :gunhead:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Pretty easy to tell, if the engine stumbles and hesitates you need more choke or warm up, if not it's warm enough.

·
Premium Member
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
imported post

Thanks, guys. You've saved me some warm-up time, gas and wear and tear.

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
imported post

I think all bikes are a little different. You are the best judge of what your bike needs. I choke mine at about 1500 and let it go about a min. then check it. If it idles smooth with the choke off it's ready to go. the colder it is the longer it takes.

keep the wind in your face

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.