Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
May not be the place for this but I was wondering how long people have been riding.

I'm 75 and have been riding one type of bike or another since I was 22 starting with a 1958 165CC Harley I bought for $200.00 that wouldn't make it up the Blue Ridge Mountains out of DC.

The winner gets the Old Man's/Person's Longevity Award.

ErnieB

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
ErnieB,

I'm 67 and started riding at age 25 (because my folks wouldn't let me buy a bike until I left home!!)... My first bike was a chopped CB160, then a CB750, then a host of other Honda's, Triumph's, etc. ... Been on Gold Wings for the last 23 years...

Les

·
Premium Member
948 Posts
My dad brought home a CB 350 when I was still in grade school. I learned to use sandpaper, spray bombs and chrome cleaner. I cleaned, disassembled, repaired and did anything that I wanted to and it was always clean and ready for my dad to ride. That was before the internet but those little owners manuals and Cycle magazine was all that I needed. I rode that bike on the road soon after that, after proving that I could handle riding it in the yard, I was big for my age. My two sons did the same thing. We would go for short rides with expired plates on Sunday mornings. Both of my sons got their cycle endorsements with their first licenses. I've never had a dirt bike except for a Honda 70 that I bought for my sons, my interest has always been for street bikes of all kinds.

Scott

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,276 Posts
I was 19- a Yamaha 650 ASpecial. I am now 44.

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
May not be the place for this but I was wondering how long people have been riding.

I'm 75 and have been riding one type of bike or another since I was 22 starting with a 1958 165CC Harley I bought for $200.00 that wouldn't make it up the Blue Ridge Mountains out of DC.

The winner gets the Old Man's/Person's Longevity Award.

ErnieB
On the way out did You take Rt. 7 towards Winchester over the mountain at the Shenandoah to 81?

If so, you drove right past my old driveway on that first ridge out...
Just getting to the top, to my driveway, would've been something for that little bike. Everybody doing 80+ mph trying to get over that hill today.

Pics of the old house up there in Bluemont and then looking out from that back porch towards Winchester...

Edit: actually, that second pic looks towards the west side of Winchester through the valley and centers on Berryville. ...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,190 Posts
I started "unofficially" riding an Uncles Honda 90 when I was 14, just under 40 years ago. Bought my first bike a Honda CD175 when I was 16, which was the legal age to get a motorcycle licence.

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
Since 1972. Where did the time go?

·
Registered
39 Posts
I started riding actual road bikes when I was 17. Bought an '82 honda v45 sabre 750 to learn on. Had to keep it at a friend's house, because my parents refused to let me have a bike. I'm 43 now. (and my parents still aren't crazy about me riding a motorcycle!)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Since I was 10 when I rebuilt my first flat head tecumseh and put in an old minbike frame with o brakes to speak of....
I will never forget that first ride..or the first wreck....or the time I tried pulling the unshielded plug wire off to get it to stop before the second wreck...Them was some good times.

·
Premium Member
3,796 Posts
Started/learned on a friends new Step-Thru- Honda 50 in 1965 when I was 14. Got my cycle endorsed license at 16, and my first bike at 17. I've been trying to improve for the last 46 years... :raspberry:

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
Bought myself a Cub65 scooter when 18 in 1967. Had a bike as my main commuter ever since. Between the cub and the goldwing , a Honda, yamaha and a suzuki .

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
1960 age 14-16, took 19 year break, rode for 3 years, took a 20year break, been riding steady for the last 8 years. Someone else will have to do the math. LOL 67 now.

·
Premium Member
17,087 Posts
I started riding on a friends Indian 50 that had training wheels when I was about 6 years old. I am 47 now. Started riding street bikes in 1985 but I rode a lot of dirt bikes while growing up.

·
Premium Member
445 Posts
Legally for the last 8 years. Illegally since I was 7 and my brother got a 1969 Honda CL 90 that was street legal. I use to ride that bike all over, w/o permission.

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
I am 50 and rode dirt bikes most all of my childhood until I joined the Air Force at the age of 19. Did not ride again until 1999 when I bought a new Honda Sabre and took the MSF, which was mandatory for active folks that wanted to ride on base. Rode the Sabre until 2005 when I traded for a VTX1800C model. Rode that thing until last year when the wife said our rides would be more comfortable on a Goldwing!!! So we bought a 2012 Navi/XM in July of last year and have been loving it ever since.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Rode for a while in my 20's, I am now 47 and got my wing in May of this year. Quite an adjustment to go from not riding for over 20 years, to jumping on a Goldwing. But one of the best choices I ever made !!

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
54 this year, been riding since 1968 when I was 9. Started the bigger bikes in 1974. On my fourth wing and will ride until I can't put my foot over the seat, then I will trike the bike I have.

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
Started riding at about 10, mini-bike and have been moving up in size and power ever since. 1966 Honda 50 street bike, Suzuki TS125, Yamaha TX500, Suzuki GS650, 79 GL1000, 86 GL1200. 98 GL1500 and finially a 2013 GL1800. I am now 52. Can't quite match the years of some of you guys.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Bought a used Honda CB175 right out of high school in 1971. Traded it in for a brand new Kawasaki 175 Enduro in 1974, while in college in Daytona. Bought a new Suzuki GS400 in 1978 with windshield, sissy bar, luggage rack. Livin' large, rode that bike all over. Sold the Kaw and the Suzuki in 1982 when my daughter was born, so I wouldn't have to worry about being around for her growing up. She returned the favor last November by giving me a used GL1500 at her wedding reception. Kept my motorcycle certificate all those years, just in case. I guess she saw me slobbering all over every bike I passed for too many years, and figured I was still in withdrawal. Moving right up to a Goldwing after 30 years away, and the previous bike only having been a 400, was quite an eye opener. But, I've enjoyed having my eyes opened :waving:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 68 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.