Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I just swapped out the 2 rear bulbs with LEDs from LED Nights and I really pleased with them. Just as bright as the incandescants. But just for curiosity how many amps did I free up?

I did this because I've been wanting some Hot Grips or some brand of heated grips or gloves. Wheres a good place with good prices?

The PO put Kury Iso grips on there but don't really fit these bars.

Any tips or pointers? JR

·
Administrator
26,144 Posts
imported post

The 1157 bulbs you took out used .59 amps each for the tail light and 2.1 amps each for the brake lights.
Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
imported post

Hi oldtoys1961, I don't know how much your old bulb drew, but I do know that an LED light draws 2/3 rds less than the old one. That is each LED. I swaped over all my lights except 2 as I would have a light on the dash all the time as the drop in current tells it that a bulb is out when it really isn't. Now I can run a pair of driving lights . This is for your info on LED's. And Don't get the LED's that are made in China,as you may only get 2-3 Hrs out of them if your lucky. The new ones I found will give you 20,000 Hrs ea.

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
imported post

i have alot of running lights and when they are on it will not charge at idle. if i come to a stop i have to turn lights off, get up to speed, then turn the lights back on. will switching to leds fix this problem or do i have a possible ground problem?

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
imported post

How many LED Lights are supposed to be in a 1980 GL1100? Mine is very dim at night.
Thanks,
Nightrider1

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
imported post

noobrider1,

This is normal. No old wing (I don't know about the new) will charge until the rpm's start at 1200-1800 rpm's. Mine seems to start at 1200. Goldwings are a touring bike, and if you use it alot around town, you will have to do a small 2 amp per hour overnight charge.

Nightrider1

noobrider1 wrote:
i have alot of running lights and when they are on it will not charge at idle. if i come to a stop i have to turn lights off, get up to speed, then turn the lights back on. will switching to leds fix this problem or do i have a possible ground problem?

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
imported post

noobrider1 wrote:
LEDs use almost no power, so switching to them in all your running lights would probably fix this, if it's the problem. If your stator is weak, it may not, but that's a different problem. (FYI, customarily, you should start your own thread for your own question, even though it's related.)

oldtoys61, you can figure the amps by dividing the watts by 12 (in a 12 volt system). This should help you decide what grips/gloves you get by figuring how much current draw you can cut from other systems. The 1100s have a pretty low output, so not a ton of wiggle room.

·
Premium Member
754 Posts
imported post

Could someone list the bulbs and replacement LEDs for the 1100?

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
imported post

If you go to the parts store with the numbers of the bulbs you want to replace, they will have them marked on the LED packages. Real easy!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.