Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

There seems to be a limit to what can be done with the gl1100. If anyone knows how I can get more poke and better stoppers for a gl1100 I would be interested.

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Hey Goldwinger1984, :gunhead: I dont know where your coming from or what your trying to source, :baffled: but any goldwing rider that uses their wing for high performance needs their head examined. :whip:Having said that, i have another lady out in my garage that keeps my :18red:company, :clapper:and when the urge gets to me now and again :weightlifter:she gives me all the performance that one ever needs. :jumper:I know this is a big topic in the states where some of ye guys ride your :18red:like a sports bike, but believe me there not. :stumped:

:leprechaun: :18red: :leprechaun:

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
imported post

goldwinger

your not the only one. ride my 1500 everyday nothing better than leaving full leather

clad race rep 600 riders in my wake shame most of them dont learn to ride properly

instead of buying the in bike to have every year .learn to be smooth/fast and in control at all times i dont have the top speed butfaster corner speed givesyou anedge

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts
imported post

Why do the various motorcycle manufactures make more than one model, and that model has alternative specifications? most models have a close sister model with higher or lower spec as alternatives.

So why the hell do people prat around with a proven models, when £ milions ofresearch time has been invested, to insure that the bike we buy is safe and fit for purpose.

Yes, lets add shiney bits on to make the machine personal, but not to think we can out do the manufacturer in a double up and over garage.

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
imported post

Vic, I presume you mean how many of us ride fast and use the potential of the wing? I for one like to ride my GL1500 fast, and tend to use the gears a lot more than others. I find that with good maintenance ie: brakes in good order, good gripping tyres and suspension set correctly that the 1500 can fly. I have progressive springs and 450ias shock, which firms the bike up nicely. I have toured the Swiss Alps on a number of occasions, and also the west coast of Scotland and find the bike is really good in the twisties and stable. Others on the board will not agree, however I enjoy the buzz when "scratching through the twisties". We are all different, so each to his own. The 1500 has more performance, than most give it credit for.

Cheers

Joe

·
Banned
596 Posts
imported post

Done that! Modified GL1200 pulled front wheel in 2 gears without clutching, and burnt off the new back tyre in 5000 miles/ 8050 Km. Left 60 foot of rear tyre on the roadway in second gear. Redline over 10,000 RPM - neat to watch the digital warning bar go from red to FLASHING WILDLY!

One might not think its worth it until the horsepower pulls you away from a potential accident scene! 0 - 60 m.p.h in 4 seconds has proven handy more than once. Ive avoided many potential freeway accidents while on entrance ramps bygoing from 35 to80 mph before they know what happened. Also useful to minimise the effect of air gust passing large vehicles (lorries).

FitzAl : theres a ton of mustard in those engines, but takes a lot of work to get to it since performance parts arent made. It can be done!

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

I think that I have to agree with glenuk and scotwing about riding the Wing to its potential.A lot ofpeople just scoff at the Wing because they feel that it's just a big heavy beast, suitable only for parade duty. Little do they realize just how much performance is really there if you know how to use it.

I like to hear stories about guys who can ride their Wings safely and yet wring every ounce of performance out ofthe machine as possible. Too many times I have heard guys state that they never rev their engines over 4500 rpm (GL1200 redline is 7500 rpm)because they think it might blow if they go higher or they can't go fast around a corner because they might drag the pegs or boards on the ground. If they were to give it a little throttle around the corner, the bike would lift and not touch the ground.

Some Wing owners have taken the ultimate step by installing superchargers and/or nitrous oxide to enhance performance dramatically. I was just wondering how far anyone here has gone with performance modifying their own Wing and just how hard they normally push their bikes even if it's completely stock.

Vic

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Dave, I have to agree with you totally. It's an awesome feeling to grab a handful of throttle even if it's only to get you up to 60 miles per hour and to have the torque pulling hard against the musles in your fingerswith the adrenalin pumping and keeping you on your toes as you rocket forward. I guess my drag racing days will never exit my heart as long as the gasoline is still running through my veins.

I would strongly urge anyone, (with an inclination to do so,)who hasa Wing to go take a high performance safe driving course and then take the time to make a few passes down a dragstrip a couple of times just to experience what the Wing can really do. You just might be suprised completely. You don't have to beat the bike, just drive it to its limits and enjoy the fun before you get old.

When all is said and done you just might find yourself to be a much better and safer driver who smiles a lot more.

Vic

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
imported post

Glenn, have I misunderstood what you've written above, that you leave race rep 600s? in your wake and carry more corner speed than them ?

cheers, Craig

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
imported post

The nature of bikes makes it hard not to try and tweak them for optimal performance. That's just a fact of life and loads of people do it.

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts
imported post

Dave Campbell wrote:
One might not think its worth it until the horsepower pulls you away from a potential accident scene! 0 - 60 m.p.h in 4 seconds has proven handy more than once. Ive avoided many potential freeway accidents while on entrance ramps bygoing from 35 to80 mph before they know what happened. Also useful to minimise the effect of air gust passing large vehicles (lorries).

There are two sets of repliesin reply. 1st don't get your self into the position of requiring such drastic action to avert a situation. Secondlyone wouldrequire extensive training to ride a two wheeled machine to these limits. It may be thatDave have been instructed to drive to these limits, if you have I'll take my hat of to you, but other road uses may not be able to predicte such acceleration.

Don't get me wrong Im am not a 'Sunday' rider. I red line my 1500 and my footpegs have scares. If I require more adrenaline, I would purchase a machine to suit.

When you have body baged as meny asI have at road accidents, I look at safety issues all the time, from all sides.

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

manxblackcat, safety first is always the best bet in any case, but, one can be sitting at a traffic light waiting for it to change to green and some car could run into the back of your bike and kill you. I know first hand what it feels like to smash into a car when travelling at highway speed, because I had a drunk driver pull out in front of after he drove through a stop sign. The accident was not my fault and could not be avoided by me even though I tried my best to do so,according to witnesses.

I believe that the essence of this thread is more about knowing your Gold Wing and how you can make it perform to its maiximum potential, either through better driving style or through machine modification. Gold Wings are very capable performers in the hands of someone knowledgeable, but, at the same time can be downright dangerous in the hands of an inexperienced or careless driver.

What I'm trying to find out in this thread is how most Gold Wing owners utilize their bikes potential and if they have expanded the potential of their Wings by enhancing, braking,handling or engine performance. If you have found ways to improve your Gold Wing driving style or have found ways to improve performance I'd sure like to hear from you.

Vic

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
imported post

My brother in law is bringing a braided brake line set back from the USA next month. I'll be fitting them to my GL1500 over the Easter weekend. I think the brakes on the GL1500 are very poor and am wondering if the callipers off the non-abs GL1800 (or any other bike) will fit.

I'd like to improve other areas of the bike as well, but I'm doing nothing rastic until I've sorted the brakes.

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

I did the same thing Vic did and went with the braided brake lines. I haven't done it yet, but a good quality sintered brake pad, and my brake system will be as good as it can be. Before I could stop fine, but I could see the front brake hose flexing upon heavy braking. After the new hoses, I can lock up the front and back brakes if needed. The brakes feel a whole lot better now.

And my bike does see the redline from time to time. The Goldwing loves it!

Raymond

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
imported post

craig

i mean that a large percentage of week end riders dont learn to ride

to the max and theyrely on sheer power which if you live in the country side a 160mph is no dam good but holding 10mph + in bends gives you a big advantage

the way to win on a wing is be smooth and fast

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
imported post

During my sportsbike days, I spent many a Sunday cranked over on Scottish twisties at 100mph, only to be over taken by others doing 150mph. The main reason I didn't compete with them was due to being afraid of what might be round the bend eg. a cow, a tractor, a deer or a camper ( trailler ) van. I always wanted to keep a chance of braking in time, having seen riders in front pile into the above obstacles over the years. Now, on my 86 Aspencade ( with it's additonal 200 kilograms and poor brakes ) I don't have the option of "chasing" the nutters.

Craig

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

dudenstumpy, why don't you spend some time with your brakes and get them sorted out so that they work properly? Start by flushing the brake fluid, checking the calipers/pistons to make sure they are free and most importantly, make certain that all pivots and linkages are clean and well lubricated.

Also, I have seen it happen time and again where guys have installed floorboards, but they interfere with the brake pedal causing a severe and unsafe loss of brake pedal travel. Make sure this is not the case with your bike, as you should be able to lock up your brakes (with extreme pressure applied)as I can do on my 84 GL1200.

Vic

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

dudenstumpy wrote:
During my sportsbike days, I spent many a Sunday cranked over on Scottish twisties at 100mph, only to be over taken by others doing 150mph. The main reason I didn't compete with them was due to being afraid of what might be round the bend eg. a cow, a tractor, a deer or a camper ( trailler ) van.
Craig
Once you get up to those speeds it doesn't seem that the difference between 100 and 150 would make much difference if something's around the bend. Been more than once I've come around a curve and found a truck or car stopped on the road. Have to be a pretty broad curve to be able to see all the way around for such high speed hi-jinks. I like to wind things up too, but to do it in anyway that can harm some innocent bystander is beyond stupid. Wiping oneself out having fun isn't the same, if there's no risk to someone else, push it as hard as you like. I do every once in awhile when I can get my hands on an aerobatic airplane. But I sure as hell don't do it over a town!

On the other hand I can easily understand why someone would want to hop up and engine. Did a good bit of that in the late fifties when it was easier, read carbs, and cams, shaved heads, headers etc., no computer chips. There's a lot of satisfaction in getting more oomph out of a machine. I don't have much interest in working over my bike, it's just fine for what I want to do just like Mother Honda made it. But that doesn't make someone a fool for wanting to find out what more they can get out of it -----------------------End of Rant, please continue your day-------------------------------------

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
imported post

I haven't modded my 1100 A at all but I do get into the throttle quite a bit. I am (still) pleasantly surprised at the response and overall power available when in the mood!

I have a couple of dirt bikes I can use to help satisfy my lust for adrenalin with also!

Bob

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.