Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I just made my qualifying ride last weekend. Did the basic Saddlesore 1000 and mailed in the required info and dollars to get the official certification.

Just wondering how many others have already donethe same?

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
imported post

I'm planning on doing my first this summer, still working on the route.

·
Premium Member
683 Posts
imported post

I'm planning on Memorial Day weekend 2010. Don't know which route I'm going to take either.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
6,097 Posts
imported post

I've done one that I certified and several that were so close that I didn't send them in.
I'm wanting to do another SS1000 in state soon and then try a Bun Burner Gold.
I've got to do the smaller one though to get my flesh butt back to ironbutt toughness.

·
Probationary
4,535 Posts
imported post

I've done 3 in Canada & the Great Lakes Regions, but they were before I even thought about a Goldwing. Now it's easier with windshields, tanks over 2 gallons, mug holders, cruise control, etc.

Good planning will decide if it's a decent ride or not. I would choose a nice interstate and go 500 miles out & back to avoid cross traffic.

Keep water real handy at all times, the wind is VERY dehydrating. Dehydration = Confusion = Trouble.

The basic Iron-Butt should take 19 to 21 hours.

Many have difficulty maintaining speed during the dark hours, so I like to get that out of the way while my brain is fresh. Otherwise, I'd see imaginary truck treads, roadkills, bricks and e/thing else at night, with a tired brain ... the real ones are enough for me.

Also, it's a lot easier to do later in the riding season since you've built-up your riding butt. For me, anyway. If anything gets weird, be ready to just call it a day and do it another time. :)

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
imported post

I've nerver heard of "Iron Butt Riders", What is it?

·
Premium Member
1,591 Posts
imported post

stevefl wrote:
I've nerver heard of "Iron Butt Riders", What is it?
Riding 1000 miles in a 24 hour period.

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
imported post

WOW ! That's kick'n it....How does one qualify a run? Is there a club or organization?

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
imported post

stevefl wrote:
WOW ! That's kick'n it....How does one qualify a run? Is there a club or organization?
Just goggle Iron Butt and have your safe search on:Dthey are very popular.

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
imported post

Did it about 3 weeks ago on my GL1200. Took about 21 hours.

·
Premium Member
1,969 Posts
imported post

Nothing official .... did not know about "iron butt" until way after I did it ....

Upstate Washington to mid state California in one sitting pulling a trailer... don't remember how long or far....Oklahoma to Californiain 26.5 hours appx 1800 miles.

Did it out of necessity NOT for fun.

·
Life Time Premium Member
3,919 Posts
imported post

For some real excitement try what our member Yellow Wolf did. Over 1000 miles back and forth on the dragon's tail in under 24 hours. They didn't count it as official because they want you to travel more of a route than a racetrack going back and forth. But what he did and where he did it is quite an accomplishment.

Kudos Yellow Wolf!

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
imported post

did 1000 miles ,no cert but thats ok!!

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
imported post

My daughter and I are doing ours very soon, looking for the proper day now. Even the easiest ride is surely a test, and as with all riding, there's an element of danger....why make it worse with rain, cold, etc? We're going, we want the braggin' rights, plates, pins, certificate, etc! LOL

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
imported post

Did mine last Sept. Did iton my Honda VTX 1300R. I truly had an "ironbutt" when I got done. And IMHO, running 500 mi back and forth on an interstate is "cheating". Find a nice route that does some interstate and some secondary highways. Even with fuel stops and short breaks I was back home in just over 21 hrs. Got to agree with others here, safety first. If you get to tired to ride...STOP...

For those of you planning to do it.....ride safe and enjoy

·
Premium Member
1,169 Posts
imported post

I did a Saddle Sore 1000 inside the state of Missouri.
From Joplin to I-35 and Hwy 136 North of Kansas City, East to North of Hannibal, MO (Wayland), South through St. Louis to 60 Hwy at Sikeston,MO, West to Springfield, MO, then I-44 back to Joplin.
It took a little over 15 hours. Not all interstate for sure, look at a map.
To do 1000 miles in 15 hours takes 66.7 mph average. That is not hard to do.
The biggest time killer is stops, you have to do them fast.

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

I made a run from Swainboro Ga., to Austin Texas, last year. Straight through, all 1061 miles worth. Think it took about 16.5 hours. Had I known I was going to do that, I would have set everything up.

If I do it again, I will indeed set it up so my night riding comes first. Popeye is correct.

·
Pops
4,519 Posts
imported post

I'm a member. I'll be doing the border to border run this summer.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.