Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

HELP!

I need some help on this. At night, I can barely see my guages, spedo, tack, temp, and fuel readouts. How many lights does this take? (All the rest are ok, Oil, Neutral, and HighBeam) I have only 1 light burning in my Tack/Speedo, and none in my fuel/temp guages.

Thanks,

Nightrider1

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

I think two lights in the tach/speedo.

The bulbs could be bad, but maybe the reflectivity of the inside of the gage is gone due to dirt/corrosion ect.

I suppose a new bulb or higher wattage might help.

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
imported post

be prepared for lots of swearing if yours are the chrome backed type. The backs do come off but the bolts that hold them on are only captured by bent metal flanges on the casing. Once off the dials come out by releasing the centre plastic panel that houses the idiot lights in the centre. You will have a handfull of screws and bolts by the time you have the clocks out. The clocks are in foam cups that will tear easly so be careful They are not available any more so you will have to fabricate them if you do. The bulbs are held in by push in holders but do these one at a time. I crossed two holders over and re assembled it then found that the air suspension light is now in the rev counter!! Its one for the fuel and temp guages and two each for the clocks plus one for the rear air suspension warning light. I think they are all the same type. 5 w small globe type. Don't up rate as the fully lit desplay is a bit scary after your used to the dull glow of one one or two bulbs up till now.

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

I apparently have the top bulb working on both the speedometer and tack. My air light is ok, but my Temp/Fuel I believe is out, and they are one of the most important. I hve always hated idiot lights. Love the gauges though.
thanks for the info!
nightrider1

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

goldtop,

Mine on my Wing does not havenot chrome backs, but I had an old tack that come off of an 81, that did have the chrome rear, and I see what you mean. After I tore it apart, there was no suspension light, but that does not matter. My suspension light is working, and the other 2 lights I pulled and I put them on an old 12volt flashlight battery, and they work ok. I will probably put one in the Temp/Fuel, One in the Bottom of the Speedometer, and just leave the Red suspension and the top light in my tack and not tear it down. I believe that would be the best move. What would you do?

Thanks,

David

goldtop wrote:
be prepared for lots of swearing if yours are the chrome backed type. The backs do come off but the bolts that hold them on are only captured by bent metal flanges on the casing. Once off the dials come out by releasing the centre plastic panel that houses the idiot lights in the centre. You will have a handfull of screws and bolts by the time you have the clocks out. The clocks are in foam cups that will tear easly so be careful They are not available any more so you will have to fabricate them if you do. The bulbs are held in by push in holders but do these one at a time. I crossed two holders over and re assembled it then found that the air suspension light is now in the rev counter!! Its one for the fuel and temp guages and two each for the clocks plus one for the rear air suspension warning light. I think they are all the same type. 5 w small globe type. Don't up rate as the fully lit desplay is a bit scary after your used to the dull glow of one one or two bulbs up till now.

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

sandcastcb750,

I have 3 lights burnt out I know this, but the bike itseld hasbeen kept inside a garage since it come out of the dealer, and been maintained on a regular basis. I sent you a PM.

Thanks,

David

sandcastcb750 wrote:
I think two lights in the tach/speedo.

The bulbs could be bad, but maybe the reflectivity of the inside of the gage is gone due to dirt/corrosion ect.

I suppose a new bulb or higher wattage might help.

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
imported post

Nightrider1
That gives you what you want then thats fine. You have the desired light in the fuel temp guage and that will help at night. My guess is that the difference between the 1980 standard and yours is that they moved the air suspension light out of the rev counter.

They way you solved it will give you light where it is most needed and only weak in the rev counter which is on goldies a bit of a waste of time.

Leave as is and enjoy the new bright world

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
imported post

just figured out that you have disabled the air warning light. Thats fine if you rarely see it come on. The best way to monitor that rear is to measure it any way.

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

If you can find a used set of gages, you can try opening them. The ring can be removed, carefully, by prying.

There was a guy on Ebay, deacodog, I think, that refaced, relighted Honda gages with VDO bulbs and repainted the inside for reflection.

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

goldtop.

The air suspension light is still working.I am going to change all the bulbs in everything, and leave the tack alone.

nightrider1

goldtop wrote:
just figured out that you have disabled the air warning light. Thats fine if you rarely see it come on. The best way to monitor that rear is to measure it any way.

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

sandcastcb750,

I took the old tack off of my parts bike, the one that had the chrome and thering clip around it, andI can see where it is a pain in the rear to replacea single light on the bottom. The air suspension light ws removed from it also. Where can I find the VDO 5 W Bulbs at?

Thanks,

Nightrider1

sandcastcb750 wrote:
If you can find a used set of gages, you can try opening them. The ring can be removed, carefully, by prying.

There was a guy on Ebay, deacodog, I think, that refaced, relighted Honda gages with VDO bulbs and repainted the inside for reflection.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.