Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Hi, im taking delivery of the 1800gl Friday, my partner and i are setting of to Lithuania from the UK (London) on Saturday morning, its about 1300miles and plan to do it in 3 days depending on weather.

My question is how many miles to a full tank could i get if cruising at around 80/90MPH, and am i right in thinking the tank holds 25L.



Regards

Richard
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,406 Posts
imported post

I can't give you numbers but when I got up to those speeds my mileage dropped drastically on my 1500. You do mean MPH?
 

·
I am the Hobo
Joined
·
9,690 Posts
imported post

Hi Trik and welcome to the funny farm. At those speeds, you will be starting to seriously think about petrol sations every 160 miles. (That is before the red light, but the second half of the fuel gauge drops quite rapidly).

Yes, the tank nominally holds 25 litres, but it has a kneck in it that goes into the tank. My figures are based on filling it to the brim.

Drop that speed to 70 and you will easily get anothe 40 miles per tank.



For info, I have done 35 miles with the light on before, but at pretty conservative speeds.



Is it a new bike, or new to you?



If it is new to you, i.e. second hand, make sure the back tyre has loads of tread. The last bit wears out very quickly and they are extremely expensive in Europe (saw over £400 a pair at the Dutch Treffen). Likewise make sure there is plenty of meat on the pads or chuck a couple of sets in the topbox - they are easy enough to change on the roadside.



Anyway, enjoy the trip. :)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9 Posts
imported post

Trik wrote:
My question is how many miles to a full tank could i get if cruising at around 80/90MPH, and am i right in thinking the tank holds 25L.
When I go that fast on my 2009 GL1800 I get about 37 mpg. I get about 46 mpg at around 3000 rpm. Cruise control helps.

Why do you want to go so fast?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12 Posts
imported post

I get less than 250 km before my guage shows empty. This concerns me. I have a 1100 1984 Aspencade. It takes about 80-90 km before my guage moves down one bar. I'm wondering if my guage is inaccurate and maybe I have much more gas in my tank when it shows empty that is shows. I thought maybe I'd on purpose run my bike to empty so it runs out of fuel to see how far I can actually run with the guage on empty. Comments?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
913 Posts
imported post

At 90 MPH I would not enjoy my NEW goldwing for long,Its hang on and hope I arrive safely.........
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,004 Posts
imported post

Those are passing speeds, not crusing speeds. It's 65-70 for me, and I can get 260+ miles out of a tank.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,969 Posts
imported post

doctordestiny wrote:
I'm wondering if my guage is inaccurate and maybe I have much more gas in my tank when it shows empty that is shows. I thought maybe I'd on purpose run my bike to empty so it runs out of fuel to see how far I can actually run with the guage on empty. Comments?
Calculate your fuel mileage, then do a little more math and mutiply it by the size of your fuel tank, subtracting the amount of fuel that you want to leave as a safety cushion.



Resetyour trip meter at fuel stops. Old school I know but has worked since before we got spoiled with fuel guages.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
imported post

josephdphillips wrote:
Trik wrote:
My question is how many miles to a full tank could i get if cruising at around 80/90MPH, and am i right in thinking the tank holds 25L.
When I go that fast on my 2009 GL1800 I get about 37 mpg. I get about 46 mpg at around 3000 rpm. Cruise control helps.

Why do you want to go so fast?
Thanks for the for the reply, the reason i stated those speeds is because we will be doing over 700miles on motorway/auto barn, at the price of fuel i think we will keep the speed down to 70mph,im also a 1000 cc HondaFire Blade rider, those are the speeds i do on the motorway here in the uk and i get better mpg than the Wing:shock:



Cheers

Richard
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
imported post

Geordiemuppet wrote:
Hi Trik and welcome to the funny farm. At those speeds, you will be starting to seriously think about petrol sations every 160 miles. (That is before the red light, but the second half of the fuel gauge drops quite rapidly).

Yes, the tank nominally holds 25 litres, but it has a kneck in it that goes into the tank. My figures are based on filling it to the brim.

Drop that speed to 70 and you will easily get anothe 40 miles per tank.



For info, I have done 35 miles with the light on before, but at pretty conservative speeds.



Is it a new bike, or new to you?



If it is new to you, i.e. second hand, make sure the back tyre has loads of tread. The last bit wears out very quickly and they are extremely expensive in Europe (saw over £400 a pair at the Dutch Treffen). Likewise make sure there is plenty of meat on the pads or chuck a couple of sets in the topbox - they are easy enough to change on the roadside.



Anyway, enjoy the trip. :)
Thanks for the good tips



Richard
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
552 Posts
imported post

:shock:hi trik hope your always on the look out for plod at 90 mph on british speed camera,d roads.

Have a good safe trip;)



AL
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,765 Posts
imported post

On my 82 1100 I get exactly 200 miles to a tank. I know I've ran it out twice just to make sure. :cheeky1:The 1200 has side car and gets around 125 miles per tank. (notice I don't know the exact mileage :cheeky1:) As geezeglider does, I too reset my trip odometer after every fill up. I would rather trust what i know works rather than worry about the gauge working properly.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,004 Posts
imported post

82gl1100iwingman wrote:
On my 82 1100 I get exactly 200 miles to a tank. I know I've ran it out twice just to make sure. :cheeky1:The 1200 has side car and gets around 125 miles per tank. (notice I don't know the exact mileage :cheeky1:) As geezeglider does, I too reset my trip odometer after every fill up. I would rather trust what i know works rather than worry about the gauge working properly.
Yep, I reset the trip odometer at each fill up too. Right after I got this bike, I carried a spare container of gas and was going to run it until it sputtered and quit just so I'd know what the guage and odometer would show. At 260 miles it was still going, so I poured the extra fuel in at that point.
 

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
Joined
·
60,793 Posts
imported post

I also reset the trip meter on every fillup.

I do not trust gauges, those are just a neat way of making sure you get to walk for a while.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
imported post

AZgl1500 wrote:
I also reset the trip meter on every fillup.

I do not trust gauges, those are just a neat way of making sure you get to walk for a while.
LOL, very true.



Thanks for all the replies guys/girls.



With the most respect,

Richard
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top