Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On a trip how many miles a day do most of you average? On my sport bike 300 is the most per day.

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
An average would be hard to determine right now.
Last winter was more than the virtual nothing of this winter.
5 miles a day last winter in "down to" sub-zero temps. A fricken achievement as viewed by my efforts this winter.
I generally only count the adverse with this kind of stuff.
I've a plan to keep better track of my mileage this year though.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,334 Posts
I think he means on trips when the weather is a little better, Cap'n.

I average between 400 and 600 miles in a day. As I get older it has tapered off a bit, but I still keep it close to 500.

That's crusin' the back roads, of course.
Now, if I just want to get somewhere, & I'm going to be on the super-slab...

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
It varies by each person a great deal and what the reason is for riding or type of trip and location of the trip.

If people are just enjoying the ride and sight seeing and checking out the local areas they pass through in no hurry to be anywhere, then many have said they like to do about 350-500 mile days.
Some folks also may like to do 350-400 mile days for reasons like pains and stiffness etc.. riding too long at a time.

Then there are those others like me, I just ride to ride and seldom stop at the sights or tourist traps etc..
I just go till I need gas, coffee, food, or whatever, and if I pass the worlds biggest ball of string I look at the building as I pass by LOL

I often do about 700miles a day if the trip is that long. Problem with living in the middle of the USA is most places I go are too close LOL
If I am going to visit relatives and friends in distant places it's usually only about a 700-900 mile ride and I just do that all in one day.

350-400 miles for me has often just been a Breakfast Run or Toy run LOL
Before the Tornado messed up my favorite places I was riding twisties to Branson MO often for Breakfast, I often got in a 350-400 mile ride.
Where I buy some tools ( my toys) at often is also a 350-400 mile ride for the day.

It just all depends on who and why, and maybe type of bike also.
When I was riding my 1100 I did 750 mile days ( and more ) fine and enjoyed them, but on my 1500's a 900 mile day only feels like a 750 mile day did to me on the 1100.

On a sport bike or crotch rocket I might not want to do much more than 200 miles though depending on the bike itself, but that's just me.

·
Premium Member
17,087 Posts
400 - 500 for me. I have done 600 once and I know I can if I have to, but I would rather not if I don't have to.

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
500-600 on a nice day

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts
I haven't tested my endurance yet on the Wing, so I'm not sure of my comfortable daily range...I'd estimate 3-400 miles. I do know that stats from the Iron Butt Club say that on a multi day trip if you ride as far as you can the first couple of days, you're down to about 65% of that daily distance by the 3rd day. They have an interesting website with lots of helpful info for a "novice" planning his first long distance ride.

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,276 Posts
We were around 500-600 when we did our two trips to Utah.
If I make this trip to NH in May it will be 600-700.
Weather, road condition, whether you are alone or not, etc all make a difference.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I do 600-700 a day on my ST 1300. I just got the wing, and have only done a 400 mile day so far. From that run, a 600-700 mile day on the wing will be easy!

·
Premium Member
1,514 Posts
All of them that I enjoy sometimes that takes all day and half the night.
Had days were other intrusts sent me exploring and if you add it up be lucky to get 200 out of me.:action:

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
If interstate driving about 450 max.
Usually not in that big of a hurry that a day or so matters, so that's what works for me.
Fortunately the only schedules I have anymore are of my own making.
Drive till you get tired and decide that way.
If it's pouring rain, maybe a little less, and same if it's 100+ degrees.
Got to do what feels right for you.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
I don't mind 500-600 miles per day. My longest was a bit over 800 miles in cold and rain. On that one I just kept going to get it over with instead of putting up with another day of rain. I'm an old geezer too so you young whippersnappers ought not to have a problem with a 1000 mile run in a day. Riding two up of course really shortens a days ride, it just isn't as comfortable for a rear seater with nothing to do back there.

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
last summer was our first year on the wing. we did a few trips, longest days were around 400-500. we were riding 2 up and for the most part the heat was the main problem. we spent a lot of time stopped anywhere we could find air conditioning. with that experince behind us our plans this year are for around 500 miles max and hope for cooler temps

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
Cooling vests. I can keep cool for over an hour with my water soaked cooler vest under a mesh jacket.

·
Senior Moment Member
3,707 Posts
I plan on 300 per day, but on trips where I want to look at a lot of stuff I will average much less than that. If I have to be somewhere in a hurry I can and have done 600-800+ per day. That makes it pretty tiring if you do it every day for almost a week.

I also will add in 1 down day per week traveled if I am planning a trip. The "Down" day allows me to stay somewhere for an extra day without worrying about being at a specific location. Our best trips have been ones where we simply said "OK, we have 4 weeks to go somewhere and get back. We just wander in a general direction for about 2.5 weeks taking our time and then start heading back.

Henry

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
I always ride 2-up and we never really plan anything other than the general direction we want to go.We never book rooms ahead either,so we just ride as long as we feel like riding these days.When we first started doing our holidays on the Wing(20 some years ago) there always seemed to be a lack of time and or money ,so it seemed like we were rushing all over the place and had to come home for a rest.A lot more enjoyable for us these days(although there is still a shortage of money it seems)the way we do it.We ride as far as we want to ride on a given day,find a room,I take a RM Road Atlas into the room and pick enough roads for the next day.We stop when we want during the day andmight not even do all of them.Just more enjoyable and relaxing for us this way.Our days of big miles and rushing are over.

BTW Out of a 5k trip we wouldn't do a 100 miles of slab.I have been known to do an extra 100 miles to skirt around a city.If I had to ride slab I'd sell it and do more boating.

·
650 Posts
it all depends on the weather and where you ride. highways rack up the miles where the back roads take forever. we average around 400 to 600 miles on trips

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
this is going to be something new for me. On my 1200 I did mostly around Oregon, and did some 400's. I did 450's on the Wee. With the 15 coming, well who knows.

But, since then, I have had back surgery, and a mitt full of knee surgeries. We shall see...

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
We are planning a trip to Seattle this summer from Reno Nv. Two up on our 84 gl1200 so I'm hoping we can do at least 400 miles a day. On our sport bikes we were lucky to get in 250 a day and 350 was pushing it, okay if had the next day off.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.