Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

How many miles do you guys go before checking your valves and adjusting? I'm put 20k on the bike and was thinking about that last night. Is it hard to do? Any tips appreciated.JR

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
imported post

:waving:Per the maintenance schedule in the GL1100 owners manual and the Honda 1980-1983 GoldWing Service Manual inspectevery 8,000 miles and adjust if necessary.

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
imported post

I feel that if your bike is running good, and there's is no valve train noise your valves are about adjusted as good as you need them to be.If they get "ticky" that's a sign they have loosened up and need adjustment.If they're quiet I wouldn't touch them.,,

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I've checked quite a few 1100 valves for lash and really haven't found any that were very far off the book value of .004" for intakes and .005" for the exhaust. I really think more than every year if you ride a lot or every other year if you don't put more than 8000miles per year. When you set the valves remember it's better to have the exhaust a tad loose than a bit snug to prevent burning. So if you err a tiny bit don't do it to the snug side. One good reason not to overdo the valve checking is if your rocker covers aren't leaking it's best not to disturb them too much. If your covers haven't been off the bike for a long time it's a good idea to get a new set before you take off the covers. They tend to harden up over the years due to heat and then they want to leak.

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
imported post

It is important to check the valves periodically because they can get 'tight' or too little clearance, which means they are not closing all the way and they will burn pretty fast when this happens. GL1000's recommend checking every 6,000 miles which is about for low mileage. I have 215,000 on my bike and I usually only have to adjust 1 or 2 valves after 20,000 miles. With only 56,000 on your bike, if you haven't checked them for 20,000 miles, I would definitely check them and recheck them in another 6,000 and you should start to get a feel for how often is necessary for your particular bike.

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
imported post

Thanks guys. I've put 20k on it since I bought it and don't really have any idea when the PO did it last.Its definately past the maintenance schedule time for them. Now its got 76k now and I'm planning a trip in 3 weeks. I'm getting a little rattling on the left side. Thought I might as well adjust them or check them out close as I've done just about everything else maintenance wise. JR

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
imported post

Big Cahuna wrote:
I feel that if your bike is running good, and there's is no valve train noise your valves are about adjusted as good as you need them to be.If they get "ticky" that's a sign they have loosened up and need adjustment.If they're quiet I wouldn't touch them.,,
Problem with that, No noise also could mean valve/valves are too tight which leads to burning the valve/valves .Bummer. Should check/have them checked on a regular basis like changing your oil. Preventative maintainance saves lots of headackes/money............ Love your Bike,Live to Ride,Take Care, Where you are, You'll both Be there.................A bike can still run good with tight valve/valves Not too tight where they are open slightly but on the verge.

·
751 Posts
imported post

Old toys just sell the 1100 & get a 1500 that way you don`t have to adjust your :Dany more Just kidding I would have said a 1800 but on 1800`s you stil have to adjust valves lol !

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

Big Cahuna wrote:
Actually if they are noisy I wouldn't worry as much as I would if theywere too tight because as the valve wears into its seat it starts to lose clearance at the rockers. I have seen some valves worn so far that there was no compression during cranking and when they are tight like this the chance of burning valvesis really great because the hot combustion gaseswill actually start to burn away at the valves and seats because it is being forced through the tiny gap of the open valve.

Vic

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
imported post

Well at this point I guess I'll have to say again if your bike is running good. If you have a tight valve, tight enough to hold a valve open your bike won't be running good. It will have sluggish acceleration and take longer to rev up, and have a lack of power. Only you know how your particular bike runs when it;s running good vs dragging the anchor.Chances are if you have over 30k miles on your bike the valves have been adjusted several times and have finally seated. Going thru the hassle of removing the covers and possibly have them leak isn't worth the trouble to me, only to find they are fine.,,

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.