Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hey guys, well, from my previous post I have discovered that I need an engine. So I'm in the market for a used one. I have found acouple with 90thousand plus miles that run. But how many miles is too many before you need to rering it, etc. How many miles do these engines typically go? It's a 81 gl 1100.

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
imported post

It all depends on how it has been treated and how is has been cared for. If it has normal use and maintenance you can expect 150,000 up. If it has been mistreated it is any ones guess...

:12red::cool:

Dean

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
imported post

I've seen them on Ebay, not sure that all the 1100's are the same though.

Are you going to tear down the one you have to see if it can be repaired?

·
Old School Guru
7,876 Posts
imported post

My 81 has at least 167,000 miles, still has great compression, runs good, and I feel it good for at least another 100,000.:D

Gene:waving:

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Not that you will trust anyone telling you anything anymore, I'd still get one on eBay when you can.

At least that seller will have a reputation to defend and a history.

I would say < 100000 mi should be good if the guy gives you some assurances about it.

You want to be able to put at least that many more on it yourself.

Or just go buy Matt's bike in Ohio.

It's ready to go.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Thanks for the input guys. You are right, if you told me the world was round right now, I'd have to check it myself to make sure you weren't lying. That's about as far as I can take anyones word right now. I'm pretty pissed, just pulled the front left piston out to see what I could see withought opening the engine up and the engine is destroyed. Must have sounded like a grenade going off in the engine. The rod snapped in half after it hit the head/valves, spund around, gouged the cylinder wall, punched a whole in the top of the block right underneath the carbs where I couldn't see with the carbs inplace, spun around again and locked up on the other side of the engine. There is no saving this engine.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Sorry man.

Go get another one (See my edit above).
Take this one and part it out on eBay and get some of your money back.

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

The bike that Emilio Scotto rode had the engine was refurbished, but not replaced, somewhere along the way by Honda, but still, 460,000 miles on the bike is awesome.

Raymond

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
imported post

Bummer about the engine atowley.

I think it's worth taking a chance on a 90,000 mile engine although one with less than 60k would be a better investment.

Personally I wouldnt pay any more than $300 including shipping for a engine I couldnt hear run, it's a crap shoot if you cant hear it running.
I would probably go so far as to working out a payment agreement with the seller like 1/2 now 1/2 after its installed and running.

I'd also try to get the cost of the engine out of the prior owner, as you said he rode it into the garage before storage.

Good luck

Edit: well, maybe alittle more than $300, depending on what shipping cost and how much I want it :gunhead:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I'd certainly go for another engine, much cheaper than trying to rebuild what you have. Odds are pretty good on a used engine unless it was left out in the rain with the spark plugs out. I've got one like that, had 70,000 miles on it and was froze up. I've got it running, 175psi on all four cylinders, and good oil pressure. So you can restore a pretty much abused engine. An eBay store like Pinwall or one of those often have engines available. I doubt you'd be shafted by someone with a permanent eBay presence. It's too easy for them to lose their business if they get a bunch of negative feedbacks. All the 1100 engines should interchange with no problem. The '80 had a chinzy little sight glass for checking the oil, the later ones had a larger round glass. I'd go with a J.C. Whitney dipstick anyway. If an engine wasn't seriously abused I wouldn't worry about getting 150,000 miles out of it. These things are well built.

Timing belts don't slip. They can break but they don't slip. Unless you found them flopping around completely loose it sounds like someone did a bad job of timing belt change. These are interference engines and a mistimed belt can well cause a valve to break and jam a piston.

First order a new engine, then go visit the PO at 0130 and set fire to his house after nailing the door shut.

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
........it sounds like someone did a bad job of timing belt change. These are interference engines and a mistimed belt can well cause a valve to break and jam a piston.
That's probably why I'll pay to have mine done this spring. I consider myself fairly mechanically inclined, but my biggest fear is trying it myself and paying in the end. I hate the thought of spending money unnecessarily, but I think it's worth it in this case, at least for me. My local guy will do it for ~$300.

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
imported post

A heads up about the replacement engine you go with.

I replaced my 83 engine with a 81 and thought all was well until riding, to my surprise the gear ratios are different. I never concidered that.

The 81 is geared lower with a 1 inch taller rear tire and different ratio in the final drive. I had to put the 81 wheel and final drive together for an acceptable highway RPM. Power was great though, I could easily pull the front up in second but I was constantly shifting, there wasnt even a reason for 2nd and fourth gears.

If you go with a 82 or 83 engine tied to your 81 driveline then your take off RPM's and torque will be pretty low in first and difficult to ride and keeping from lugging the engine from a stop.

I have an excel spread sheet which shows the 'wing differences.
PM me with your email I'll end it to you if you like.

Edit: I posted the excel file to my server so anybody who likes can download it here

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

mikef wrote:
exavid wrote:
........it sounds like someone did a bad job of timing belt change. These are interference engines and a mistimed belt can well cause a valve to break and jam a piston.
That's probably why I'll pay to have mine done this spring. I consider myself fairly mechanically inclined, but my biggest fear is trying it myself and paying in the end. I hate the thought of spending money unnecessarily, but I think it's worth it in this case, at least for me. My local guy will do it for ~$300.
When you are ready to go at it, just let us know and we can guide you through each step you feel aprehensive about.

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

Rudy wrote:
When you are ready to go at it, just let us know and we can guide you through each step you feel aprehensive about.

I might just do that. I have a jack and all the tools and 2 different manuals.My fan isn't kicking in either, so I could go after that, at the same time. It doesn't seem all that hard, just reading all about what CAN go wrong, places some doubt. I've changed afewtiming chains in small block Chevy's, but this isn't the same. I might give it a shot. Thanks.........

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

mikef wrote:
Rudy wrote:

I might just do that. I have a jack and all the tools and 2 different manuals.My fan isn't kicking in either, so I could go after that, at the same time. It doesn't seem all that hard, just reading all about what CAN go wrong, places some doubt. I've changed afewtiming chains in small block Chevy's, but this isn't the same. I might give it a shot. Thanks.........
The main thing is to be sure to felt pen mark the timing marks before the belts come off and to stop and ask once you get the new ones on just so we can go through the checks before you tighten things down and hand turn the crank a couple of times.

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
imported post

atowley- There is a Company call

Planet Gold wing Motorcycle Repair Shop, they repair and stock old Gold wing Parts. The Honda Dealer sends him all the old stuff, when I was down there the other day he said he had some engine's for sale. What he does is he has some old motorcycle frames he uses as test beds, and he test run the engines before he sells them, also he test carb's the same way. It is a whole in the wall place I could spend all day down there talking to those guy's.The problem with E-bay is unless it is buy it now, THE EBAY-JACKAL'S jack the price up at the very end. If you are interested his number is: 770-707-1400 / e-mail: [email protected]. It doesn't hurt to call.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

Thanks for the info. Yeah, I hate using ebay now. Unless you can sit and babysit an auction at the end, you almost never win. I love it when the auction jumps 300 bucks or whatever in the last ten seconds of it.

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

I do to, unless I'm on the receiving end......

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.