Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Well,

After reading many topics it has become apparent that I am not the only Goldwing owner to also own an R1.

Recent Bikes go like this GL1200/Thunderace, GL1200/ZX9RE2, GL1500/R1(03), GL1500/R1(04), I could go back more than 4 years but then it would start reading like war and peace.

I find it amusing the amount of times that I have read 'handles like a sportsbike' in reference to the GL1800. Take my word for it - IT DOESN'T.

I have ridden bikes (and fell off quite a few) since 13. I have had fun out riding with my friends and then equally I've had some fun while in hospital (18th birthday in hospital with a broken back with mates bringing in the alcohol which went down extremely well with the morphine and nurses).

Modern sportsbikes can be considered nothing like the sportsbikes of old. If when statements are made of the GL1800 handling like a sportsbike they refer to the like of the Z1, KH750, GT750, CB750 of the seventies then there lies the truth. If on the otherhand references are being made to modern state of the art sportsbikes then I wholeheartedly have to have my say.

So how many of you fellow Goldwing owners are going to admit to owning a sportsbike?

Steve

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
imported post

I don't own any sports bikes but I do have a Yamaha XT500 street/trail and a Suzuki 250 stripped down and strictly for dirt use.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

I love the XT500, nearly bought one and have some spares (including microfiche and OE manual), bought a CR500 instead as a Green laner, awesome bit of kit and not for the feint hearted. It took a while to master kick starting it though as it was such a tall bike.

Steve

·
Premium Member
407 Posts
imported post

Hi SteveKT

I don't own a Wing to make any special claims, I own a Goldwing for the experience!, I want to spend time getting there, to see the countryside I'm riding through.:cool:

Young Bull [R1 owner]- "lets run down the hill and F&&& a few cows"

Old Bull [GOLDWING Owner]- "son lets walk and F%%% em all"

My "sports" bike is a Pan European St1300, it is without a doubt the best bike I have ever ridden. I can wheelie it, i can chuck it round corners, it will do 140mph - 2 up -fully laden. It is as happy out cornering most modern "sports" bikes as it is lugging huge amounts of gear. It is my "weapon" of choice. I don't want all that uncomfortable , knees bent , aching after 20 miles , arse singing to the beat of my headache from the wail of an after market exhaust...you can keep it all

I wanna get there fast, comfortable, quiet , dry and with more than a toothbrush :D

I own a GOLDWING because they are simply the best luxury motorcycle on the planet. :clapper:

Nuff said

Oh BTW the xt500 was the most fun I've ever had on 2 wheels ,anyone else ever "bagged a Munro" on an XT500?....:grinner:

BB

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
imported post

I rebuilt my 1976 KZ 900 - and love the speed, the Kawasaki wobble, and the fact that its older than most of the people I work with! But for comfort, grace and style my 1982 gl 1100 interstate can't be beat.

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
imported post

My GL1200 certainly doesn't handle like a sports bike and there is a very good reason for that. It's not one!!!

Additionally to my wing I have 2 XJ900's, however they are for sale.

I don't think there is anything to be gained from a sports bike vs Goldwing debate. About the only thing the 2 types of bikes have is the number of wheels. I love sports bikes and I love wings. My fav sports bike is the CBR1000, however my brother has a Hyabusa and that is certainly something else to ride. However on this I still get sore wrists and neck.

I think I'll stick to riding a wing for a while.

Also you just don't get forums like this for sports bikes.

Andrew

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Hi Andrew,

The amount of forums on the net for bikes is ever increasing. The ZX9R forum offers loads of help and friendly banter, in much the same way as this one as did the thunderacers forum.

It is more a matter of curiousity and the amount of people owning more than one bike, again, is increasing.

Everybody has there choices and preferences, some out of the financial reach of many of us, but all the same choices are there.

I don't think there are many bad bikes available (maybe excluding Buell which is getting a bit of a reputation for unreliability)

Steve

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

21 speed Trek, 3200 miles

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
imported post

1980 KZ750LTD 4 cyl.

That would be my zip-zap bike. Currently in many itty bitty peices, did a whole carb rebuild, and stage 3 upgrade, new clutch, cylinder hone, valve grind, electrical upgrade, rebuilt forks, added an oil cooler with thermostat bybpass, rebuilt brakes, Kerker 4-1 exhaust. Not sure if I'm going to add my spare Cylinder head temp guage to the Kaw, or the wing. I love those old kaws because they are a real sleeper. I've smoked Porches on that bike. There is also something to be said to being able to service almost the entire engine (crankshaft and tranny excluded) while it's still in the frame.

·
Banned
596 Posts
imported post

"Other" column. '77 750K honda that turned15,000 RPM redline and broke 10 spokes in the rear wheel on holeshot, and 86 GL1200A that burned a NEW back tire down in 5000 miles - front wheel high in first and second gears without dumping the clutch and 60 foot black mark on the pavement in second gear. Both engines were stock, no aftermarket parts.

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

Hi Dave and welcome to the forum ,,glad to see you got off to a busy start ,keep up the good advice ,I have read the your other messages and am impressed ....cheers Ciaran:waving::waving:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.