Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

How many Oil Filters numbers OEM Honda

3K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  joe in calif 
#1 ·
My 92 Wing has about 67,000. The time between oil and filter changes has been as low as 750 miles but never more than 1,500 miles. I had been buying 10 packs of Oil filters with a part no 15410-MM9-003. Now when I try to buy those OEM filters they are difficult to find and I think the NUMBERS must have changed.
I believe that Honda OEM filter nos 15410-MM9-003, 15410-MFJ-D01 and 15410-MCJ-000 are correct for the 1992 GL 1500. Please tell me if there are other Honda OEM filter, by number, that are also for that application.

#2 ·
The same oil filter fits 1988 - 2000 Gold Wing's. Also fits the GL1800...!

All of the numbers you mentioned are OEM filter numbers.

Honda has changed the numbers throughout the years. The most recent (latest) number is 15410-MFJ-D01.

At one time, they listed a different number for the GL1500 and the GL1800. Now they list the same number for the GL1500 and GL1800.

PS: I have a cousin that lives in Yakima....!

#3 ·
just get a Wix or NAPA Gold
Oil Filter:
NAPA Gold 1358 this is the longer one. Diameter is the same, the flats are the same, can use the same filter wrench tool

as Dave said, it fits all goldwings

or most any year Honda car in certain models.

#6 ·
One more comment:

FRAM PH6017A in years gone by, has had some bad experiences by some users.
the glue that seals the end caps came loose, and the oil can bypass the filter medium.

with so many good manufacturers out there, why even consider a FRAM ?

Wix is a prime manufacturer, and sells to other branding companies, they most likely are the largest oil filter manufacturer in the USA.... NAPA filters are made by Wix.

#7 ·
My 92 Wing has about 67,000. The time between oil and filter changes has been as low as 750 miles but never more than 1,500 miles.

I change the oil in my bikes, and car, and truck annually.
or at about 8,000-10,000 miles.

the oil always comes out clean, clean enough that you can see thru it while draining. But, that is a pure synthetic.

Our car has always used a pure synthetic since it was new, and always changed annually. it currently has right at 99,000 miles on it. I once let it go to 16,500 miles once when my wife was extremely ill, spending most of her life in a hospital.
with me driving to the hospital and home everyday, I just forgot about the car. That car is a 2007 Pontiac Vibe.

I was concerned that the oil would be very dirty, and the engine suffered?
Not so, I sent an oil sample into Blackstone Laboratories and they said that the oil was fine, that if I wished to continue on 16,000 mile interval, the engine would not be harmed.

Your heart might feel better with the frequent oil changes you are doing, but you are wasting a lot of money.

#8 ·
My 92 Wing has about 67,000. The time between oil and filter changes has been as low as 750 miles but never more than 1,500 miles. .
You are doing more harm than good changing oil that often. Every time you change it the engine has to run dry until the pump fills the filter. It's like some commercial said, starting your engine is the worst thing you can do to it, only worse.

#10 ·
My 92 Wing has about 67,000. The time between oil and filter changes has been as low as 750 miles but never more than 1,500 miles. I had been buying 10 packs of Oil filters with a part no 15410-MM9-003. Now when I try to buy those OEM filters they are difficult to find and I think the NUMBERS must have changed.
I believe that Honda OEM filter nos 15410-MM9-003, 15410-MFJ-D01 and 15410-MCJ-000 are correct for the 1992 GL 1500. Please tell me if there are other Honda OEM filter, by number, that are also for that application.
Lets think about this 67,000 miles on a 27 year old bike = 2,481 miles per year. Don't know your driving/riding history or if you are the original owner of the bike but:

If you are only putting between 750 - 1500 miles per year on the bike, then I can see changing the oil and filter at those mileages....!!

Did you mean to say the "mileage" (not time) between oil and filter changes...??

If the above is true, 27 (or maybe just a few more) starts "running dry" has not significantly damaged your engine.....!!

The glass is not "half empty", it is "half full".......:grin3:

#12 ·
Lets think about this 67,000 miles on a 27 year old bike = 2,481 miles per year. Don't know your driving/riding history or if you are the original owner of the bike but:

If you are only putting between 750 - 1500 miles per year on the bike, then I can see changing the oil and filter at those mileages....!!

Did you mean to say the "mileage" (not time) between oil and filter changes...??

If the above is true, 27 (or maybe just a few more) starts "running dry" has not significantly damaged your engine.....!!

The glass is not "half empty", it is "half full".......:grin3:
Some owners ride a lot when they first get a bike and due to things that life throws at them the riding time changes. My wife and I rode about 10,000 miles a year when we were active in our club and vacationing with others. Once she hurt her back and I went 1 up my riding time changed. I still rode a lot but mostly local rides of around 100 miles at a time.

If I don't put 3,000 miles on my vehicle in 6 months I change the oil anyway. Cheap insurance for me

#11 ·
I am the original owner. During the early years I rode closer to 4 or 5,000 mi/yr. Then from about yr 2000 to now I may have ridden between nothing to a max of 500 miles per year. So an average over 27 years is misleading. I like my Wing but there is as much fun in polishing and maintenance as there used to be in riding. So during the early years I would change the oil and filter 4-6 times a season. Heck if I missed a shift I'd make an oil change before the next ride with no regard for the number of miles. In the later years I tried to change the oil at least once a year but when there would only be 200 miles between the change I would let it drag a couple of years. When the bike had ~40,000 miles on it I pulled the valve covers to get them chrome plated. The inside was crystal clear with oil and there were no carbon deposits anywhere to be found. I keep the bike in a heated garage so I'm forced to start it several times a year because I use the garage as a work shop and I need the relocate the bike to keep it away from projects that need the space. During the recent years the mileage between oil changes as become time since I don't accumulate enough miles to do it often.

Also, when changing the oil I put some new oil in the new filter and swirl the oil to wet the filter, that is enough oil so when it is sideways it spills a little when installing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.