Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I was stopping for a light today in town and noticed a chevy impala slowing up beside me with plenty of space between him and the next car.

Killing my Ipod so I could hear him, he spoke up again and said "I used to have a Goldwing and man do I miss it." We talked until the light changed.

But then he added"I got scared real bad and got rid of it."

It's amazing how many people I have talked to that "Had one of those."

·
Premium Member
12,781 Posts
imported post

I like the " I had one just like that , except it was a'76 1000 and it was yellow and it didnt have a fairing . " But it was just like it . Uh huh just like it .

·
Premium Member
1,847 Posts
imported post

over here we get the same questions all the time and the last statement, basically it goes is it heavy, how fast, how much and i used to have an old ,,,,,,,,,,,

·
Premium Member
61,440 Posts
imported post

Talk about "I got scared".. The bike I bought had traveled less then 60 miles between owners one and two.. The guy I get it from, #2 drive it 25 miles to the Honda shop, Payed $700 plus for all the fluid changes plugs and some other stuff.. Drove it less then 35 miles and parked it for 2 months before I bought it..
Skid marks in the shorts do happen.....

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
imported post

Well, I've not been privy to much motorcycle talk outside of this forum, as generally when folks see me coming, they run and hide because they know I'm going to want to talk about my Goldwing.. I've been scared, but not enough to think about selling my wing.. I'm not saying that it couldn't happen, I just pray that it doesn't.. These first 51 years have been great....Let's go out with a BANG!!

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
imported post

Yup, I have a 1972 Chevelle, that my great-grandmother bought brand new, got the receipt in the glovebox, 3250.00 cash. I have talked to many people "I had one of those...""I wish I still had mine..."etc. etc. etc. I hope to never be one of those people. I have had it for about 15 years now.

·
Premium Member
3,403 Posts
imported post

"I had one of those.."

That's my favourite line for attractive young mothers in the supermarket line, followed by "Then he/she grew up".

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

"I got scared" :D

Pucker factor 1 to 10 feel free to fill in the blanks

1= skid marks in your shorts

5=Anus issucking air harder and faster than your lungs move airand there is this full body tingle along with the adrenalin rush, last thought on your mind is “this is gonna hurt” :realshocked:

10= When it is all over your motorcycle seat must be removed by a doctor, you hear the doctor texting as he sends photos to his buds as he calls the nurses to come look at this

:action:a near miss may be better than never seeing it:action:

·
Premium Member
6,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

At one time or another I've had things scare me, some worse than others.

When I was 18 and did a static line parachute jump. Back then they had no idea yet of the new wings or doing a tandem jump.

Loosing the prop on my ultralight at 800 feet. :shock:

Waking up one morning after a bout of partying and drinking with a friend and wondering if we had really had a wreck that night. Then really getting scared when I realized we hadsideswiped a bridge banister. We could have hit it head on and been impaled.

Saying I do.

Seeing my first daughter born and wondering if I was really ready for the job.

Lots of scares during my life. But only one scared me enough to stop something and that's another long story.

·
Premium Member
7,574 Posts
imported post

lostinflorida wrote:

So this now begs the question, where you ready? and another any regrets?

Enquiring minds just need to know!

·
Probationary
4,535 Posts
imported post

lostinflorida wrote:
I was stopping for a light today in town and noticed a chevy impala slowing up beside me with plenty of space between him and the next car.

Killing my Ipod so I could hear him, he spoke up again and said "I used to have a Goldwing and man do I miss it." We talked until the light changed.

But then he added"I got scared real bad and got rid of it."

It's amazing how many people I have talked to that "Had one of those."
At least he said Goldwing...I've spoke to many who, "Used to have one of those" & it turned out to be a black motorcycle, often enough, not even aHonda.

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
imported post

tanygaer wrote:
lostinflorida wrote:

Are you ever really ready? I have three sons, age 19, 20 and 22 Each day they write a new page in the manual for me to try to figure out. Meanwhile I have to figure out just when did I get old enough to be their father. I mean, after all I am far to immature to be this old.

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
imported post

There is a guy that shows up on alot of our poker runs, to this day I do not know his name, but I know he currently rides a Roadking, and he used to own an '82 Interstate in Candy Muse Red...I know this because he never fails to walk up and tell me about this '82 Wing that he "never should have gotten rid of", or to ask if "That one there could be it?".

I've told him countless times that mine is 2 years older than his was, and I'd had my Wing for 10 years prior to the sale of his...You'd think one of these days he'd remember? :D

As for the kids thing...If we all waited until we were "ready" to have children...there would be no children.

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
imported post

Hell if we waited till we were smart enough we would never be dumb enough to have kids

·
Registered
517 Posts
imported post

1. 1977 college roomate and I riding out to CA from Milwaukee, hes on '77 GS750 & me on a 1974 Z-1. We're somewhere in NEbraska and bored.

we decide to do a roll on, up to about 110 mph. bikes are loaded with clothes and camping gear.

when I roll off the throttle the bike goes into a frame wobble and tries to slap the tank with the handlebar.

by some miracle I stop it and push it back to center. as soon as it gets near center it tries to slap the other side. it goes back and forth several times with my bike swooping from shoulder to shoulder on the interstate.

finally I get it settled down. my roomate catches up and tells me I'm white as a ghost.

did I mention I was wearing cutoff shorts and tenis shoes. (I'm a little smarter now.)

2. 1st snowmobiling trip with my 16 year old daughter riding with the "guys". we;re riding pretty hard but not insanely. I see her in front of me losing it on a turn. I have to stop watching long enough to negotiate the turn myself and park the sled in a safe place.

I run back to the spot she went off and its a VERY steep decline. I can see the sled, sitting upright, stopped by a tree, pointed uphill, about 25' down the slope.

No daughter. I look closer and see her boot sticking out from under the sled.

I lifted the sled off her (don't know how, it took 2 of us to lift if free of the log later)

she was OK.

·
Premium Member
725 Posts
imported post

my wife just rolls her eyes eery time i say that about a particular bike. since i've owned so many ,she seems to do it a lot.:action:

·
Premium Member
6,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

tanygaer wrote:
lostinflorida wrote:

Well yes and no. My problem is and probably always will be I just can't seem to grow up myself.

I guess I didn't do too bad. One started college, but got married and had grandsons and didn't finish it. She's married now to a Coast Guardie that looks like he'll retire from them. Much better than Dad's done.

The second got a two year degree. The first one one our side of the family. That's saying alot from a family with four sons of which only one finished high school. (Me!)

Seems some of the things that should come natural are the most scary.

Nope no regrets. I would only do one thing different, but if it meant not having the wife and kids I have now, I wouldn't do that. My only real regret is that I never joined and served in the armed forces. I'll always regret that one.

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
imported post

rideing motorcycles is alot like hores rideing .if you get tossed off , get back on as soon as your able.. better to have memories of things that you did not things THAT you wished you had done. and .remember INSANITY is caused by children .

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
imported post

I've never ridden a hore but my Triumph gets a lot of "I used to"s or "a friend/neigbor had" and my CBRs get a lot of that "those things scare the crap out of me" or "I crashed/sold/had it taken away before I killed myself.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.