Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I don't have a bike yet but am looking at a 1979 GL1100. The guy who's selling it said it needs to have the most expensive gas or it won't run. Is there any truth to that? He said dirt bikes can run anything but street bikes have to have the most expensive. I drove a Honda 750 for over a hundred thousand miles on regular gas without ever having a problem with it. Does it matter that much more with a GL1100? If so, why?

Thanks!

David Harrison

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum David. My GL1100 runs on any type of petrol. The last few years all we can get here is unleaded, and it runs fine on that too.

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
imported post

My 1200 runs better on regular. Tried premium just one time and won't go there again.

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
imported post

You should only need premium on high compression motors. My understanding is anything over 10.5:1 should be running premium. I'm not sure what the ratio on the goldwing is, but I know I run 87 in my 1200and it works just fine with no pinging or detination even in the phoenix heat. The owners manual will usually tell you if that's the case. For example, I have a friend with a vespa, the owners manual says "minimum 91 octane". I had a BMW 540i, owner's manual said "90 octane or better is suggested". But I didn't see anything like that in my goldwing owner's manual, so I think you're good.

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
imported post

First off, if it's a 79 it's a Gl1000 not an 1100. And if it's only running on hi test something is wrong like timing

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

i have tried premium gas, and i have tried gasohol. but mine seems to run the best on straight regular unleaded.

·
Premium Member
1,851 Posts
imported post

The way I understand it, premium gas will build up deposits on head and pistons effectively raising your compression. After awhile using premium it gets to the point of actually needing the stuff. I always have used regular in all my Gold Wings with no problems.
Tom Bishop
`98 S.E.

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
imported post

nopeda wrote:
I don't have a bike yet but am looking at a 1979 GL1100. The guy who's selling it said it needs to have the most expensive gas or it won't run. Is there any truth to that? He said dirt bikes can run anything but street bikes have to have the most expensive. I drove a Honda 750 for over a hundred thousand miles on regular gas without ever having a problem with it. Does it matter that much more with a GL1100? If so, why?

Thanks!

David Harrison
The guy that sold me a 1200 told me that.I did try one tank full of high octane and it didn't run a lick better. The problem was in the carbs. Once I got that taken care of, it ran great on 87 octane.

Sounds to me that there is a problem & he has no clue what it is.

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
imported post

galaxyhunter wrote:
nopeda wrote:

Thanks!

David Harrison
The guy that sold me a 1200 told me that.I did try one tank full of high octane and it didn't run a lick better. The problem was in the carbs. Once I got that taken care of, it ran great on 87 octane.

+1
Often "dirt" bikes have higher compression and require higher octane gas. A GL1xxx wing should run fine on 86 or 87 octane unless someone increased the compression ratio.

·
Premium Member
1,317 Posts
imported post

jwhitmore44 wrote:
galaxyhunter wrote:
nopeda wrote:

Thanks!

David Harrison

+1
Often "dirt" bikes have higher compression and require higher octane gas. A GL1xxx wing should run fine on 86 or 87 octane unless someone increased the compression ratio.
+1

I have a new chainsaw and an old 2 stroke lawnmower. Both require premium. Your bike will be affected by different brands than by different octanes. I find I get best mileage on BP unleaded, and the worst on Holiday gas. Every bike is a little different though.YMMV

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
imported post

I'm running my second wing, the first was a 76 1000, and now an 83 1100. All I've ever run in either was regular unleaded. I did use the expensive grade once and there was no improvement in running or mileage.

If it indeed is does need the higher octane gas, as you've heard, there's something wrong.

However, there are a lot of people who don't understand the grades of gas and assume that because they pay more for the higher grade that they are getting a better quality of gas. I've actually been told that the cheaper grade is watered down, and a few other opinions that were even more ridiculous.

Is there any other info you give on the bike, how does it run, does it smoke excessively, what is he asking for it, did you think it was an 1100 or did he tell you it was?

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
imported post

my '83 Aspy run great on regular unleaded, I've hear if you do use a higher grade gas you have to use it for several tanks full in order to see any improvements. I've also heard that the cheaper grade or regular unleaded is watered down and or air impregnated, hmmmm, must be one of those ridiculous ideas Richard may be talking about. Seems like the person may have other hidden issues

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
imported post

When my local station started selling regular gas with 10% alcohol I changed to the
premium grade to forestall any carb problems.

·
Bob Cassel
386 Posts
imported post

Owner's Manual says that the engine requires a minimum 87 octane, that's regular grade. I believe mother Honda instead of a former owner when it comes to engine requirements.

·
Administrator
26,173 Posts
imported post

gido wrote:
When my local station started selling regular gas with 10% alcohol I changed to the
premium grade to forestall any carb problems.
Unless it is labeled no ethanol the premium has just as much in it as regular. Even if you use 10% ethanol it will not hurt the carbs, not using fuel i.e. not riding will harm the carbs a lot faster than the alcohol will.

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,253 Posts
imported post

The cheap stuff burns best in mine...

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
imported post

Living in MN, all of our gas has 10% ethanol in it. I didn't see any change in performance during my recent 4700 mile trip. I usually put in whatever was cheapest, including the 85.5 octane out west in the mountains. Never had any problems.

One of the Harleys that I was riding with had several problems. After we filled up at a Shell station in Montrose Colorado, I could actually hear his engine pinging with him following me. It is a 2010 Dresser, fuel injected, with all the bells and whistles and he filled up every time with the highest octance fuel that each station sold. We avoided Shell stations the rest of the trip and didn't have a problem. And yes I could even hear it over his exhaust, that is why all Harleys either ride behind me, or I am 1/2 mile behind them.

I tried premium in one tank and lost 3 miles per gallon when I did. Filled up next tank with the cheapest they had and mileage returned.

After totaling up the gas slips I averaged 40.8 mpg over the 4700 mile trip. Got better on some tanks and worse on others, but overall I was happy with the average.

I would also suspect as others stated that the guy selling the bike is trying to hide a problem. It should burn whatever gas you put in without problems.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

Were premium gases even around when that thing was made? I seem to recall leaded gas at the pumps in 79....

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

I've ran regular gasahol since Ibought my bike 7 years ago. 42-44mpg no matter what. I do give a healthy metric glug or two of that crazy additive Marvel Mystery Oil about every other fill-up. I've noticed that the MMO quiets the valve noise but have no empirical data to support that.

Premium gas as a general rule is a waste of money for most but not all. Your results may vary.:waving:

Hobie using 80 octane right now with citrus additives...:ssshh::cheesygrin::blackstuff:

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
imported post

All I have ever run in my '82 is regular. I can say that in slow moving city traffic , it will ping if I get on it hard. Otherwise it runs great on regular. 40-46 MPG on average.,,

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.