Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Just off the top of my head figuring at $2 a gallon for gas $2.25 for diesel in the last few years, figuring all maintenance, registration, insurance, repairs ect. Not counting the initial purchase costs I came up with the cost per mile of my 3 primary vehicals. Doing all repairs and maintenance myself.

1977 Kawasaki KZ650 motorcycle, $0.12 a mile

1997 Ford F350 Diesel truck, $0.34 a mile

1984 Honda GL1200 Aspencade, $1.70 a mile

I hope things improve someday on this Aspencade, not doing real well.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,702 Posts
imported post

There was a time that I was in the same boat when I had my gl1200. My problem was having to use a mechanic to keep it tuned up, just was not a profitable thing for me to keep it.

I upgraded to the gl1500 and things improved because of less need for maintenance and better parts availability from the mechanic's viewpoint.

·
Premium Member
3,403 Posts
imported post

On a very quick look I got the following

Gas $0.10 per mile

Insurance, maintenance $0.19 per mile

Nissan truck

Gas $0.25 per mile

Insurance maintenance $0.26 per mile

It works out this way because I make a point of doing everything on the Wing when I can

·
Premium Member
3,344 Posts
imported post

i dont save anything, my car is twice as good on fuel than the wing

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

I do not save any money owning a motorcycle. The UPS truck beats a steady path to my door with all kinds of gadgets for it. :D Kit

·
Premium Member
6,097 Posts
imported post

When gas got to pushing $4.00 I figured that getting 40mpg meant about $0.10 a mile just for gas.

It's hard to figure the maintenance, I've been bless with a great used 1200 and it's mainly oil and tires.

Insurance is cheap too. I've had my bike going on two years. If I figure about $500.00 a year for insurance that's a grand.

I've done almost 40,000 miles in those two years. That figures to about 2 1/2 cent pere mile.

I just wish I had more expendable money coming in so I could start doing the little things to keep my ole girl happy. I haven't seen a girl yet that doesn't like a little bling! :cheeky1:

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Don't know or care too much but I do know the Mrs was a lot happier when I filled up for $18/week vs $80/week commuting to work and back.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

I do recall many a gas stop on vacation... wife driving sidecar with kids, me driving solo (or with one kid on back) people would walk up and say.... "I bet that is economical"

·
Premium Member
973 Posts
imported post

My Hyundai gets about 40 mpg. the same as my Wing. I can buy a set of good Uniroyal tires for the car for about the same price as 2 tires for the bike. The car tires go about 80,000 miles for a set. The car is much cheaper to drive.
Now for the truth about my summer driving-I park the car in April and ride the Wing until November. I drive 45 miles each way to work with the bike, 32 miles each way with the car. The crooked roads add about 13 miles and way more fun.
I don't ride to save money, I JUST LOVE TO RIDE.

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
imported post

:?I don’t, it cost me more to have my motorcycles. Why? Because I drive just for the ride and not the destination. I average 45k miles on my bikes a year and have only put 19500 on my 07 F150. I have bought a lot of bling on the Valk and need only a pair of lights on the wing. I have added several large pieces (ad ons) on the truck. I am certain, with or without my bikes; I would run a hefty transport bill

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
imported post

32 miles to work one way
34MPG on GL1200
12MPG in 2001 Dodge truck
21MPG 2005 Ford Taurus
31MPG Chevy Cavalier
1.79 per gallon gas

Knees in the breeze.......... PRICELESS

·
Administrator
26,173 Posts
imported post

Just the cost of keeping tires on my 40MPG wing overcomes the gas savings compared to my 28MPG Honda car. Never mind the cost of the bike, 3 payments on it is more than I have in the car. I don't care, I'll ride any time I can.

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

I'd spend less money with the bike if I could leave it in the garage. :action::action::action:

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

Are you serious?!?!?!?!? :dude:

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
imported post

My bike cost me my first wife!

"It's either me or that damn motorcycle!"

Don't think I can ever repay the debt I owe to my bike!

:jumper::jumper::jumper:

don't miss her either......

Well, I did once, and I'm a pretty good shot. Not enough windage, I think......

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Per mile cost of running my 1500 most likely exceed those of driving my F250 with it's always hungry 460 V8. Tires on the truck last 75,000 or more miles. Brakes last nearly as long. The bike would require around six sets of tires and three or four sets of brake pads in that many miles. The savings in fuel burn don't quite balance it out.

On the other hand I get a lot more pleasure out of riding the 'Wing and that's what counts. I'd still ride the 'Wing at twice the cost per mile and enjoy it. If you're looking for cheaptransportation you'd be on a 49cc scooter or a moped.

·
Premium Member
5,381 Posts
imported post

Depreciation is a bigger factor in cars and trucks. A 20 year old car is just about worthless up here but a 20 year old wing is worth 50% of what it was new +/- a bit.

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
imported post

Cousin Jack wrote:
don't miss her either......

Well, I did once, and I'm a pretty good shot. Not enough windage, I think......
Prop your elbow on a stump or fence post next time, it'll steady the shot. :cheeky1::cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

Careful.......she may feel the same way..................and be a better shot.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.