Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Itinerant Wing Preacher
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Do you get much more seat room on a 1200 vs a 1100? My wife has started to ride and the 1100 is tight. I am going to move the trunk back a smidge. I also am going to some progressive springs front and rear. She wants me to buy a bigger bike. I keep looking at my wallet, and that doesn't seem likely at this time. Although an 1800 has crossed my mind, it sucks to be a responsible adult sometimes. Jay

·
Premium Member
1,173 Posts
imported post

I have a 1200 and the folks I talk to say the 1500 is the best for two up riding.

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

+1 - I really don't see a significant change in the driver/rider accommodations until you hit the 1500.

If the topbox is in the way, you can engineer a few bits of metal to allow it to relocate further back.

·
Premium Member
732 Posts
imported post

A GL1500 is considerably larger than a GL1100 or GL1200, and there is more room for rider and passenger. The GL1800 not so much, since it’s smaller than a GL1500. I rode GL1200s for many years and now have a GL1800 as well. The wife says that there is really not that much more room on the back of the GL1800 for her as there is on our ’87 GL1200. (She’s small, however, so that may have something to do with it.)

Honda did take 2 inches of fore-and-aft room from the rider portion of the GL1800 seat and give it to the passenger when they designed the GL1800 seat. They did that at the request of their passenger demographic, which are typically a good sized people. Large riders have a problem on GL1800s since this puts their knees too close to the fairing. Many buy aftermarket seats to fix that issue.

If you go with a GL1200 I would strongly recommend getting a 1987 model. That year had a great seat redesign! It was a one year only seat for the GL1200s. The seat was made flatter, with no crown in the middle (from side-to-side), and the passenger seat had a slight upward angle toward the front to keep the passenger from sliding forward. These changes made the seat WAY more comfortable than any previous Gold Wing seat. I had a new ’84 years ago, and as soon as the ’87 came out, I bought an ’87 seat and put it on my ’84. Big difference. Wife said it made a world of difference for her as well. My current ’87 has a stock ’87 seat as well, and it’s a great seat. Also have a trunk relocation kit on the ’87 to move the passenger backrest back a couple inches. This gives everybody more room.

To answer your original question "How much more roomy is a GL1200 compared to a GL1100?" Not that much really! But a seat changecan make a big difference. Maybe all you need is a new aftermarket seat for your GL1100 and the trunk relocation you are planning.

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
imported post

There is a top box relocation bracket available to move the top box back and give her a lot more room, plus you can adjust the seat position too.

The roomiest bike is the 1500, the 1800 comes back closer to the 100-1200 bikes seating room.

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
imported post

The GL1200 trunk is definitely larger than the one on the GL1100. You can fit two helmets in with much less twisting and turning. The GL1200 saddlebags are marginally larger too.

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
imported post

Agree about th e 1500; wife and I covered over 5000 mi three years ago, 2 up and did fine.

Final take about arguing with an idiot: t ry this:

Let's not argue any more; even if I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Polkwing

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
imported post

Yeah, you're not gonna do real well on the 1200. I can't speak for the 1100, but I've done two up on my LTD with a girl that's about 5'6", 100lbs, and even she said it was a tight fit, especially with the back rest.

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
imported post

when i had my 1200, i moved my trunk back with a special bracket,there wasnt that much difference so in june i changed my bike for a 1500! wow ! much more room on the seat and the luggage bags,the 1500 has the two side trunks wich open from the side and are deeper. so more room!
i found a big difference from the 1000, 1200 and now the 1500. much more power when riding with someone...

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
imported post

when i had my 1200, i moved my trunk back with a special bracket,there wasnt that much difference so in june i changed my bike for a 1500! wow ! much more room on the seat and the luggage bags,the 1500 has the two side trunks wich open from the side and are deeper. so more room!
i found a big difference from the 1000, 1200 and now the 1500. much more power when riding with someone...

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
imported post

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
imported post

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
imported post

Boy, I've seen plenty of double posts, but a quadruple post, that's gotta be a record :D

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
imported post

John Goodell wrote:
I know some 1200 owners who moved the trunk back and their wives were all smiles again.
Count me in that camp. My wife was fine as long as I didn't have the backrest in place. Moved the trunk back a little and now she has adequate room regardless. She's 5'7" and 140 lbs. I'm 6'5" and 245, so I need a fair bit of room myself.

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
imported post

+1 on the 1500, by far the roomiest Wing. Now about the 1200, an 87 is the better seating option, but on our 86 I used a couple of pieces of flatbar and moved the trunk back 1 3/4 inches. Made a huge difference for wife.And we are 2 rather well fed folks.

Patrick

·
Premium Member
558 Posts
imported post

I had an 1100, then I bought a 1200. The seats were nearly the same for the passenger. I bought the trunk re-locator for the 1200. It doesn't move the trunk back a lot. Only about 1 1/2 inches. My 1500 provides more room and a much more comfortable ride for my wife.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.