Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My hubby has a 1983 Aspencade and he has just replace the seals in both forks, but he didn't measure how much he took out when removing the forks.

Does any one know exactly how much oil goes back in each fork.

Thanks for any ones help, as we are visiting in the UK from the land down under and he can't seem to find any businesses around where we are that want to help, they only want cash out of you and don't want to know you if they can't sell you anything and the guy where he bought the seals from can't help.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
imported post

For the USA the book says 240cc
For the UK the book says 220cc

I don't know why there's a difference.

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
imported post

Someone may know the capacity off hand, they'll be along soon. It's 345 cc of automatic transmission fluid for a 1984. Many use 10W or 15W.

Help is on it's way.

·
Premium Member
2,525 Posts
imported post

The manual states: 1980 - 1981 - 240 cc (8.0 oz.)

1982 - - 290 cc ( 9.8 oz.)

It doesn't specifically state 1983, but I would guess that "1982 -" means 1982 and up. I'm also not sure if the oz's are imperial or US so you may want to use the cc measurement.

P.S. Manual also states to use ATF.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Uncle A wrote:
Someone may know the capacity off hand, they'll be along soon. It's 345 cc of automatic transmission fluid for a 1984. Many use 10W or 15W.

Help is on it's way.
Thank you so much for the link.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Another question, I have been advised on here and in a bike shop to use ATF fluid in the forks, but another place sold me a heavier fork oil, which states on the bottle fork oil.

Which is correct please?? and what is the difference.

Uncle A - you were certainly correct about the quantity of oil to go in each fork, as we managed to find out thru a manual today at a bike shop.

Again thank you everyone for your help and support.

Jane for johnfriartuck

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
imported post

I think you'll find most folks here use ATF as is recommended by the service manuals. Fork oil sold at bike shops is also a good choice. It gives you the advantage of choosing a little more range of firmness to the ride. It seems most people use 10W, 15W, or up to 20W for a firmer ride. You can browse this forum in the search box for "fork oil" and see what others prefer.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia: Fork oil

Since forks act as hydraulic shocks, changing the weight of the fork oil will change the damping. Higher weight fork oil will give more damping, and vice versa. Fork oil collects impurities over time and should be changed periodically. A motorcycle's manual will give guidelines on how often the oil should be changed. Decades ago, it was often recommended to use ATF (automatic transmission fluid) as fork oil. Currently most sources recommend using an oil specifically designed to be used as fork oil.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.