Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Clymer manual calls for 4.7 ozs, another GW web site said fill final drive until oil starts running out, that is lot more then 4.7 ozs. Which one is correct?

·
Premium Member
7,190 Posts
I always fill until it spills over. The extra few CC's of oil won't do any harm.

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
Fill it till it runs out the bottom of the fill hole

·
Premium Member
2000 GL1500SE
3,349 Posts
As has already been stated, fill it until it is at the lower edge of fill hole.
Here is how the Honda Service Manual describes it:

Change Final Drive Oil:
Remove the oil filler cap and drain bolt to drain all oil from the final gear case. Install the drain bolt securely. Fill the gear case with the recommended oil to the correct level (the lower edge of the oil filler cap hole).
Oil Capacity: 140 cc (4.7 oz) after draining
Recommended Oil: SAE #80
Install and tighten the filler cap
Torque: 12 N-m (1.2 kg~m, 9 ft-lb)

·
Premium Member
1984 Aspencade
296 Posts
Are you on the center stand, or the side stand? Side stand would probably allow an overfill and a little more drag, but doubt if it would cause any trouble....

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"And the offer still stands. John 3:16"

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,275 Posts
Fill till it drips out. Be sure bike is on center stand and as level as possible.

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
As has already been stated, fill it until it is at the lower edge of fill hole.
Oil Capacity: 140 cc (4.7 oz) after draining
Added a little emphasis to Bell Boy's post... ;) Depending on how you empty the rear drive, there can be 2oz or more remaining "after draining" -- plan on 7-oz for filling an empty final drive, which seems to cause more confusion than it should.

Sad to think that the 'normal' quick-drain-refill approach is only changing something akin to 70% of the total lube isn't it. (coupled with a rince or two in fresh lube this is yet another great use for a vacuum pump, IMHO)

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
...Sad to think that the 'normal' quick-drain-refill approach is only changing something akin to 70% of the total lube isn't it. (coupled with a rince or two in fresh lube this is yet another great use for a vacuum pump, IMHO)
I just remove the whole drive unit and lay it on its side, to drain it completely. Should be removing the unit anyway, in order to be servicing the Drive Shaft at the same time.

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,275 Posts
I will sometimes refill it, run the wheel around a couple dozen times, redrain and re-refill. When I feel really anal about getting it out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.