Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Steveorino
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guy at car tire shop put 95 PSI in my Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max rear tire for 1500. Still would not seat. He was afraid to go higher. It's all greased up and everything. He said maybe come back in the morning and try to rotate the tire or something.

My little compressor only goes to 100psi. Might try to keep screwing with it tonight.

Any suggestions?
Thx!

·
Premium Member
2000 GL1500SE
3,349 Posts
Sometimes those car tires are hard to seat on the motorcycle rims. They are just a smidgen (technical term!) smaller diameter than the motorcycle tires and fit really tight. Try lubing the tire and rim with some Armor All and see if it will go on then. That stuff is really slick and will not harm the tire or rim.

·
Premium Member
12,868 Posts
I dont think I was even up to 50psi when I installed a wintersport ROF on my 1500 . I did have the tire out in the sun before the install . I use STP Son of a Gun for lube on the tire mounting surface .
If I was having to use that much pressure i would be sure to cover as much of the tire as I could(plywood ect ) while putting the pressure to it .

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
I dont think I was even up to 50psi when I installed a wintersport ROF on my 1500 . I did have the tire out in the sun before the install . I use STP Son of a Gun for lube on the tire mounting surface .
If I was having to use that much pressure i would be sure to cover as much of the tire as I could(plywood ect ) while putting the pressure to it .
Both my Wintersports required 95psi to fully seat the bead.

·
Steveorino
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What would a max safe pressure be roughly?

Seems the deal about a sudden high volume burst of air makes sense:

"After trying several things we finally concluded that my problem was limited to an inadequate compressor that could not deliver air as fast as it was leaking out around the bead."

How high should I let the guy go with psi tomorrow morning? =:O)

·
Premium Member
962 Posts
I'm confused, are you saying the tire is mounted on the wheel and it is leaking at the bead ?? the car tire is much wider than the MC tire and I found when the second side mounted on the wheel the seal was there, it was just a matter of airing it up untill the beads poped into place
if it isn't sealed then a strap around the center is a good way to make it seal
a sudden burst of air through the valve core is questionable as the stem limits the air flow, but it's worth a try, you can go as high as you want in the compressor, it can't fill the tire so fast to be dangerous, if it works you will know the second it seals and can remove the air and put the core in and air up normal from there
I use vasaline on the wheel and tire as it's a natural protrolium and will absorb into the tire later, also it won't let any liquid into the tire
once mounted it took 95 PSI in tire and laying out in the sun to get the last bead to set on mine
this was for the wintersport ROF
I think the tire being warm is a big help

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
My 1st Federal Formoza took 95 lbs to pop the beads. The 2nd took 55. My Austone took ~ 45.
Use a ratchet strap around the tire to force the beads closer to the rim

·
Steveorino
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Tried the strap ratchet method and beating with rubber mallet to no avail.

Went back to shop this morning, he gave it a quick burst to 95 psi and it seated right away. Same thing he did last night more less. Not sure what changed. Tire was surely even colder this morning.

Now to get it all back together.

Thanks a ton everyone!
-Stv..

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
The Austone Taxi that I installed yesterday say's right on the sidewall not to exceed 40 PSI to seat the tire onto the rim. I pointed this out to the shop guy who mounted it for me and he said it popped right at 40 PSI.

Im not sure of the reasoning for a Max psi of 40 to seat, but then Max running psi cold is 55 Psi..........

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.