Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Ihave had a 1976 GW. Looking at a 1984 Aspencade, havent talked to guy yet. Not sure of size yet.

98,000 miles doesnt smoke. Say it runs good. Lookin will tell when I see it.

Question,,, generally if A shop rebuilt the motor what price range would one be lookin at.

I will have more details later if it doesnt sell. B 4I see it.

Tks Shelton

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

Welcome Shelton. I'm not sure what your question is. Are you asking how much it would cost to rebuild the engine, or how much the bike is worth with a rebuilt engine?

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

It shouldn't need rebuilding @ 98,000.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

And welcome to the forum!
Why do you think it needs a rebuild? It should go 250,000 or more if taken care of and not run hard.

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
imported post

Finding some one and all the parts to rebuild a 1200 would be a trick. Nice thing is the motors last for ever and usually don't need a rebuild. They may need a new head gasket, water pump, timing belts, may even need a valve refresh but usually not a rebuild. Assuming that the bike didn't hydro lock and a rod bent it probably doesn't need a rebuild. If a timing belt broke and messed up one side it may take some work to get it back to operating but still do-able. Anymore if some one has a bad motor on a 1200 they look for another motor off of a different or wrecked bike.

Unless the previous owner knows the motor is shot then the issues you would be looking at on a used 1200, assuming it hasn't been abused and completely neglected are, the 3 yellow stator wire connection should be by passed, if you don't know the age and millage of the timing belts replace them, and the final drive splines should be checked for wear and to make sure they have molly grease and not just wheel bearing grease. You could also check the weep hole on the bottom left front of the engine for dripping oil or coolant as if it is dripping pretty good it means a new water pump. All these issues are fairly simple to fix.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,761 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum.
Your question is really hard to answer without some info...even then it's more a matter of what is the bike worth to the seller, and are you willing to pay that much.
Generally speaking, a good running GL12 with no serious mechanical issues, goes for $1000~$3000 depending on care & cosmetics.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

There is unfortunately no realistic way to completely rebuild a Goldwing engine, like you could do with an older car engine. Some repairs are possible, but once you get deep inside the engine, the crank is not rebuildable, nor are the cams. They run directly in the heads, with no bearings. Other than the heads, and I believe there is at least one oversize for the pistons and rings, the Goldwing engine is basically disposable. They do tend to last a long time, But I for one wish they could be rebuilt completely, making it possible to keep a bike going forever. The Japanese build quality stuff, but they do not design it to be rebuildable. Their philosophy seems to be, when it wears out, replace it with a new one. As a vintage vehicle enthusiast, that does not sit to well with me.

But as was said, there should be a lot of miles left in that engine. If you have reason to believe otherwise, don't buy it. Mine had 93,000 miles on it when I bought it, and because of a lot of problems, none of them related to internal engine parts, I have put only about 300 miles on it. I am hoping when I get it all fixed up, it will be good for at least another 100,000.

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Hi Thanks so much for the help. One of the few boards where you get answers fast. I do know now it is a 1200 . Thats good news about up to 250,000. He has owned it the last 15,000 miles. Total mileage is up to 98,350,00. He does send it in every time it" hichups" he says an he has put a alternator on it.

So from first impression, It seems to be a good one, at least from is discreption. Ill give more details later. Thanks John,

·
Premium Member
332 Posts
imported post

my '84 has 107,000 miles and still going strong, no need for rebuild, should last a life-time.

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum. When I bought my wing it had over 97000 miles on it and it now has over 101000 on it and it runs like a champ. Haven't had any problems with it yet except finding time to ride. If runs good buy it. Happy riding.:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
imported post

I bought my 84 Aspy a little over a month ago. She had 106,000 then. I did some carb work (replaced diaphragms) and have put almost 4,000 on her. She sounds like she's barely broke in! I heard of a fellow at the Laughlin River Run that had a Wing with over a million miles :) Ride Ride Ride as she will run practically forever. I'm sure hoping mine will.... hehehe

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.