Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys, I broke down and bought a can of Seafoam to try to clean the carbs a bit on my 84 Aspencade. Question is, how much to put in the tank? There are no instructions on the can whatsoever. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.:)

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
You can put in a full can if you want to if the bike has sat a bit.

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
Every spring, I put in half a can to a tank and run it until you need a fill up. Then I run the next tank with straight gas. Next tank gets the second half, then I'm good to go.

Started adding 1/4oz/gal of 2 cycle oil lately. Helps with lubing the system and a nice counter to the dry ethanol blend gas.

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
If you have a current carb problem that causes a drivability problem, an option to think about is running the stuff straight to the rack.
Disconnect the fuel supply hose from the petcock, attach another length using a hose barb coupling making the hose long enough to reach the bottom of the can as it sits on the floor next to the kickstand. Start the bike on the remaing gas in the line and then rub it on the seafoam ubtil the smoke from the exhaust is fairly heavy.
Disconnect the adaption, reconnect the original hose to the petcock and let the bike sit for a couple/few days.
Meantime, ...change the plugs. If using platinum/iridium plugs now, put in some standard NGK's for the treatment. Swap the high-dollar plugs back in upon restart days later.

Adding the stuff to the tank is more of a preventative maintenance effort. If having a problem now, don't be surprised if nothing changes by the "add it to the tank" method.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
If you have a current carb problem that causes a drivability problem, an option to think about is running the stuff straight to the rack.
Disconnect the fuel supply hose from the petcock, attach another length using a hose barb coupling making the hose long enough to reach the bottom of the can as it sits on the floor next to the kickstand. Start the bike on the remaing gas in the line and then rub it on the seafoam ubtil the smoke from the exhaust is fairly heavy.
Disconnect the adaption, reconnect the original hose to the petcock and let the bike sit for a couple/few days.
Meantime, ...change the plugs. If using platinum/iridium plugs now, put in some standard NGK's for the treatment. Swap the high-dollar plugs back in upon restart days later.

Adding the stuff to the tank is more of a preventative maintenance effort. If having a problem now, don't be surprised if nothing changes by the "add it to the tank" method.

I agree with this idea. I have had quite a bit of success on other bikes by draining the float bowls, then refilling them with pure Seafoam through the fuel line, then turning the engine over several times to suck it up into the jets. Fill up the float bowls again, and let it sit 24 hours or so, then drain the Seafoam, refill with gas, and start it up. Seafoam is not something you have to be that careful with, I have used a whole 16 oz can in 5 gallons of gas many times. Yes it gets expensive, but it won't hurt anything.

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
I use standard NGK's (D7/8EA's) on my GL1's and just clean them afterward. They will fou when running straight SeaFoam, but can be cleaned afterward.

There's a clapping method I use on the factory air chamber (remove air filter housing) that seals the air chamber and creates bursts of high vacuum in the carb circuits, forcing fuel past minor blockages. I don't know if it is actually necessary or not. I just do it for my own logic and sense of ease. I've posted on it here somewhere.

I don't know much about the Iridium plugs other than they look a bit fragile for my cleaning methods. Looks are probably deceiving though. I don't know if there is a special method for cleaning those things or not. I'd say there probably is.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.