Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

QUESTION : I JUST PUT NEW TIMING BELTS ON MY 1200 GOLDWING. MY MANUAL STATES 1/8 TO 5/16 LACK IN BELT. IT SEEMS TO ME TO HAVE TO MUCH .AT THE LONG SIDE OPPOSITE THE IDLE PULLY. ITS TIGHT AT IDLE ARM PULLY. IS THIS NORMAL OR WHAT DO I NEED TO DO. I AM WAITING ON A POORBOY KIT. CAN ANYONE HELP ME. THANKS HOGHIDEMAN

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

you did snug up the tensioners? I would think about 1/8 would be right.... you don't want to force the tensioners or the belt will be too tight and may break

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
imported post

there is a whole host of info in a thread on this site. Try a search and see what you find.

I gather the main jist of the adjustment is let the pully belts take up the slack themselves. If you have to help them then something else is wrong.

·
Administrator
26,544 Posts
imported post

For the belt on the 1-3 side you may need to turn the engine clockwise about 45 degrees to relieve the valve spring tension on the cam then loosen and retighten the idler.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

There should be a bit more than one quarter of an inch free play in the belt between the cam and crank pulley. Too tight and a whistling, chirping or moaning will show up, too loose and the belts will flap excessively leading to premature failure.

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
imported post

with the free side tight, dropping the tensioners on the belt should set it up just right

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.