Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

got a buddy needing some help changing the water pump out on his 81 goldwing

how much time are we looking at? do i need to get a manual for this job?

i have not done one before, and i learned a long time ago that simple jobs on other bikes can be a beast on the wing

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
imported post

I'd allow more like 6 hours complete start to finish and a case of beer especially if it's your first time. Your talking draining and refilling oil/coolant etc. Heck, you may be scraping old gasket material for more than 2 hours. Take your time and do it once.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

wingsam41 wrote:
I'd allow more like 6 hours complete start to finish and a case of beer especially if it's your first time. Your talking draining and refilling oil/coolant etc. Heck, you may be scraping old gasket material for more than 2 hours. Take your time and do it once.
Agreed, a full day the first time and keep the beer in the fridge until you're finished or you will screw up.:shock:

And make sure you have all the gaskets, o-rings and that very important oil pump seal.

As I couldn't find a gasket kit mine took me a week of evenings spent running to the dealer for more parts.

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
imported post

donlaubach wrote:
I'd allow 2 hrs and 3 beers if all goes well

Don
don, he is doing it for a buddy, 3? how tey gonna split the 3rd?:ROFL:

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
imported post

He probably is thinking 3 each.

·
Premium Member
342 Posts
imported post

Took me a full 8 hours the first time, half that time seemed to be spent cleaning off 30 year old gasket material, and another hour removing the *one* bolt that snapped off level with the front cover hole.

The above said, it's not a hard job if you take your time & have all the gaskets/o-rings/gasket remover etc. on hand....

Free Tip...avoid beer until you're well into reassembly :)

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

great advise...i love this site. i work on a lot of bikes, so the work itself wont be a problem. i just could not remember how the water pump is positioned on this thing

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

Just the R&R won't be the time consuming issue.... it is the cleanup of surfaces and parts that will take the time... You might try to clean all the gunk/trash/gravel above the cover before you start too.. a whole day first time.. and buy the complete gasket kit, you'll be forever figuring out what you need otherwise...

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
imported post

daveman wrote:
Took me a full 8 hours the first time, half that time seemed to be spent cleaning off 30 year old gasket material, and another hour removing the *one* bolt that snapped off level with the front cover hole.

The above said, it's not a hard job if you take your time & have all the gaskets/o-rings/gasket remover etc. on hand....

Free Tip...avoid beer until you're well into reassembly :)
+1 on cleaning

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

sandiegobrass wrote:
Just the R&R won't be the time consuming issue.... it is the cleanup of surfaces and parts that will take the time... You might try to clean all the gunk/trash/gravel above the cover before you start too.. a whole day first time.. and buy the complete gasket kit, you'll be forever figuring out what you need otherwise...
if its your first time , yes a honda manual will be very handy to have. i am sure it will be used to answer a lot of questions . the gasket set you`ll be needing is the water pump gasket set + the seal that goes around the oil pump shaft . it does not come in the gasket set.

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
imported post

I musta lucked out on mine, gasket came away clean. I actually popped a whole front assembly on mine with a good pump on it so my time was quicker. And actually I had no beers but woulda liked to :) but being a diabetic limits my caloric intake at non meal events :(

Don

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
imported post

I will further point out that the beer will taste especially sweet upon completion of this task...
:blackstuff:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.