Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

The HF type lifts are too narrow to put the sidestand on so I'm adding a steel plate to hold the bike while I put it on the centre stand. Does anyone know how much weight is on tne side stand?

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

Interesting how the title of this thread and the thread content are 100.00% opposite.

Hmmmm.

·
Premium Member
5,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Corrected, weight on side stand requested. :?

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

The weight on the sidestand is not a predictable static number. It's factored by the angle at which the bike is leaning. I believe the formula should be - the weight of the bike multiplied by the tangent of the angle of the lean.

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
imported post

Or you could use the highly scientific method of putting your bike on a board approximately the same hight as your bathroom scale, then rest the side stand on the bathroom scale. Whatever the scale reads I'm guessing is how much weight you will have to support.But then if its on the lift, what would the side stand support actually be doing?.,,,

·
Premium Member
2,929 Posts
imported post

Big Cahuna wrote:
Or you could use the highly scientific method of putting your bike on a board approximately the same hight as your bathroom scale, then rest the side stand on the bathroom scale. Whatever the scale reads I'm guessing is how much weight you will have to support.But then if its on the lift, what would the side stand support actually be doing?.,,,
Or put your bike on its side stand, then use a spring scale attached to the side stand, and start lifting until the side stand comes off the ground!

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
imported post

Design your platform for 1/2 the total weight of your bike and you will have one guaranteed to hold.
"When in doubt Knock em out" no no no
"When in doubt make it stout" Yeah that's it.

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

The thickness of the bathroom scale will decrease the lean angle, and give you an inaccurate indication of weight on the sidestand.

The scale would have to be in-ground, or the bike's tires elevated on blocks the same thickness as the scale.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

You guy are way to technical for me. :action: The angle of the mass times the height , minus the lean angle. :)

I would just guess less then 100 pounds.

One and one half inch angle iron should bolt nicely to the side of the lift and a piece of diamond plate would work, or even 3/4 inch treated plywood would be more than adequate.

Kit

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

You could do a little less technical approach.

1) take off your shoe and sock on your right foot.
2) extend your sidestand, and place your foot under it.
3) allow the bike to come to rest on the sidestand.
4) guess how much it weighed, or ask the ER doctor to estimate it.

Thoughts???

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
imported post

rgbeard wrote:
The thickness of the bathroom scale will decrease the lean angle, and give you an inaccurate indication of weight on the sidestand.

The scale would have to be in-ground, or the bike's tires elevated on blocks the same thickness as the scale.
I believe that is what Big Cahuna was implying. At least that is the way I took it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.