Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Ok here goes I am getting blasted on another site for making the trike I am building to heavy with the straight rear end I am useing and the swingarm I built plus the extra tubing I put in for the rear shock mounts to make it safe. they are talking about sprung and un sprung weight And they say that my experience in building racecars won't translate very well on a motorcycle, when weight is a very big factor in building a racecar, you just don't throw it in anywhere.:sadguy::lash::weightlifter:

·
Administrator
26,186 Posts
imported post

Build it like you want it. The only one you have to please is you. I would say race car experience would fit very well in building a trike.

·
Premium Member
12,781 Posts
imported post

I dont see that your using any more weigth than thse with home built Goldwing trikes . How much less HP/torque you have to work with ? Might be overcome by lower gear ratio and or shorter tires for overall final ratio . Build on and enjoy the experience . It will translate to the next project .

As to the sprung and unsprung weight .... its not a MX bike or roadracer .

·
Premium Member
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Thank you for the vote of confidense and I am enjoying the build and learning at the same time. My wife says I am enjoying the build alittle to much. then I tell her it keeps me out of your hair doesn't it and she laughs and says its true, but as she says its keeping me busy and moving and my mind occupied which helps with my back.

·
Premium Member
2,739 Posts
imported post

Unsprung weight plays very heavily into how a vehicles suspension works.
Not only how comfortable of ride you'll have but also how the tires contact the road - this affects both safety and performance.

If the folks on the other site are trike builders and have concerns about your design, maybe you should listen to them.

·
Premium Member
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

they are not trike builders at least not to my knowledge, its a yamaha bike forum.

:readit:

·
Premium Member
961 Posts
imported post

norton wrote:
Unsprung weight plays very heavily into how a vehicles suspension works.
Not only how comfortable of ride you'll have but also how the tires contact the road - this affects both safety and performance.

If the folks on the other site are trike builders and have concerns about your design, maybe you should listen to them.
I'd say Norton has a good point. At least this was an important issue when I learnt about vehicle construction many years ago.

·
Premium Member
1,947 Posts
imported post

Yamaha :ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL: What do they KNOW about GL1000 GoldWing's??????????????
Welcome to the best site out there

You have found the right site with all the support & friend you will ever need.
There are a number of us who have build & ridden Trikes & still alive to talk about it.

I worked on cars for over 35 years & not Bike's or GoldWing, just rode them.
I used that knowledge to build 2 GoldWing Trike's with alot of help here from friends.

Lets see some picture & post :congrats:

Build what you like & make it safe. It's yours, make it yours!!!!!!
And have FUN doing it.
We are here to Help you.:weightlifter:

·
Premium Member
1,947 Posts
imported post

Just did a search on you & really sorry to hear about your GL1000.
Did you get another GoldWing or the Yamaha to build your trike?
You don't say in your post!
Can't find any other info or pictures.

·
Premium Member
969 Posts
imported post

norton wrote:
Yamaha Guys??????
That changes everything, I wouldn't listen to them either.
Me neither. As you are building the trike, you probably have more knowledge on the subject than all the "experts" on the Yamaha forum.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

You can always tear it down and change things later.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Or sell it and start over.

·
Premium Member
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

Ok long story short version, A drunk in a truck ran over my 75 goldwing destroying it, A very good friend of mine gave me the xs1100 yamaha to do whatever I wanted to with it. so I asked for permission to post my build on here. so I could get the help I needed. reason why I am building a trike out of it is so I can sell it in the spring and buy another wing and to learn how to build a trike. I had back surgery in may and my legs aren't what they use to be. I have some problems holding a heavy bike up so when I got another wing I could take my experience from building this trike and build a wing into a trike for me to ride. The members on this forum have been a great help to me and I'll never forget that, and I'll help any member in any way that I can.

Skip20 look under general and find
I am building a trike, 1st one but its not a honda and you will find alot of pics some good some not so good camera is junk but is all I have for now.

·
Premium Member
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

Also I have a 02 1100 shadow for now to ride when I can its the wifes bike and she is talking about me turning it into a trike as well. she likes the idea of not having to hold it up at stops and so forth, so I have my work cut out for me.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

I remember that post, I thought it was nice of your neighbor to offer up a bike for you, that's a good neighbor!

Why did you leave here and go to another forum? All the help you'll ever need is right here, be it a wing or other bikes, there's guys and gals here that throughout their lives have done it all. There's no other forum that could compare to that.

·
Premium Member
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

I didn't leave I just needed some info on that bike and some parts and when asked I told them I was triking it and they seemed interested in it and asked me to post pics of my build so I did. I did not expect the response I got most of it good but some of it wasn't good to say at the least.

·
Premium Member
6,422 Posts
imported post

dcryder, Ill try to keep this Short, let me start by saying this, no one will ever understand why you need a trike till they have been there the physical part.and maybe the reason for the negetive on the other forum was simply not shure but maybe, some dont like to see the bike altered. We are your family here we dont judge you for your reasons or ideas, we just simply offer sugestions. sometimes
we may have been there already or just in thought process might think of someting. but in any case we strive to help or cheer you on. with all this said.welcome home and lets continue on with your build. always take the bike weight out of the equasion. its pulling what ever is behind it.the most important thing is level square and attachment and strong welds and braceing and smooth ride.the only way the weight will be a factor is. loss of horsepower pull and toruqe. but this can be closer achived by higher gear ratio and wheel hieght + gear ratio. remember a 2.73 gear is higher ratio than 3.00 or 3.08 which means the 2.73 requires less RPM to turn in any case you want to keep the tire heigt as what was on the rear of bike then the ratio can be just a little taller. say it was 2.92on bike the 2.73 will allow less rpm at same speeds which will help on mpg loss but it doseen't run to low rpm to cause lugging. the same speed so you end up with some mpg loss with a tike no matter what you do. but its more due to wind drag. ok enough of my Rambeling.continue on with the build and you just may teach us all something new. and have fun and enjoy it there will be now greater satisfaction that that finished ride. knowing you did it.

·
Premium Member
1,947 Posts
imported post

Checked out your post & pictures.
I must have missed it back in the day.
It's looking good as far as I can see.
Just one note on the shocks.
This is maybe the hardest part of the whole job!
Looks like you mounted them without a pre-load on the springs.
You need to put the tires on & drop the bike down to riding height.
Add a few lbs to the rear for est. total weight that will be back there.
Then the easiest way is to brace the shocks so the weight is on them to figure out where the top mount needs to be.
Remember that shocks which are straight up will gave the the hardest ride with max spring rate.
As you slope the mount the spring rate will be less, but smoother ride.
Copy what was on the bike.
You can get springs in different rate also if you need more lbs.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.