Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

He's lucky he didn't front end it.

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
imported post

David look at frame three or four.....his shoe was knocked off and is going under that truck.....But....when his head hit the drivers side window blew me away....At least he was wearing a helmet....if not his head might have been inside that pickup.....I want to ride the Dragon before I kick the bucket at least once, but this type of thing scares the crap out of me.......If that guy is ok , he is going to carry scars for a long time over his getting out of his lane.....

Claude.....

·
Old School Guru
7,887 Posts
imported post

And the pickup driver is thinking "darn, and I just got it painted again after the last idiot sideswiped me in this curve last month!":shock:

Gene:waving:

·
Premium Member
5,382 Posts
imported post

Think about the idiot factor. It could have been another bike instead of a pickup truck. It's not always the cager at fault.

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

I have ridden those roads down there and I tell ya I feel for the local residents. It has to be horrible to be afraid every day to back out of your driveway. That area is ridiculous with stupid people riding zoomsplats.

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
imported post

aksedrin headach number 415 lol! j/k hope he was ok after that

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

The word PROOF takes on a double meaning here... I wonder what the rider was doing that he is so "upright".. he should be waaaay leaned over... or maybe going slow?? Hope he is alright.

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
imported post

redbaron wrote:
I want to ride the Dragon before I kick the bucket at least once, but this type of thing scares the crap out of me.......
Claude.....
I agree Claude.I would also like to check it out before my days are numbered.

Although, the more bad press that I see - it leads me to believe that there is no down traffic time and lots of rice rockets careening out if control - which I think in part is the message they are trying to send - stay away we don't want you here.

I have seen lots of film of the Dragon. Seems that it is almost always some kind of accident or hard riding to try to tell of its "horrors". The type of stuff that makes people giggle or quake as in the tv show or movie "jackass". The only "happy people riding" shots I see are stills that I think some company camps out and gets paid to take your picture. There is even afilm of what appears to me to be a VERY skilled rider on a GL1800 (I think on Youtube) just ripping the course up that I have argued with people over - where they swear he is adanger to everyone including himself - yet I see some pretty good controlled - within his skills riding- albeit riding that I could never do.There are lots of guys with skills that far surpass where I will ever be as a rider - as long as they are "safe" (a relative term) and riding within their skill set - which is part of "Safe" - I see no issue. Since in my estimation riding in your skill set means you are thinking way ahead and are sure you know what is coming - maybe 2 to 3 curves ahead (on the Dragon this is easy to do in many places).

Stupid riders (and drivers) - and just plain old accidents - happen everywhere - I have seen it and been victim of it. I would like to know a lot of things - as sandiegobrass says "PROOF" can mean a lot of things. Not discounting the collision in any way - I hope everyone was OK...but...

How old was the individual - and how much riding experience did they have?

Was he/she licensed?

Was he/she used to that type of riding or first time?

Was there any study or briefing on the route?

Had he/she had an MSFsafety class?

What else might have happened that caused them to go wide - such as distractions like a bee flying up ones sleeve or something?

Was there any impairment (which is just dumb)?

And lastly if everything else checks out - were they just hot rodding beyond their ability and should have known better? Then it is just dumb as well.

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

Blackdog wrote:
..clip. .Although, the more bad press that I see - it leads me to believe that there is no down traffic time and lots of rice rockets careening out if control - which I think in part is the message they are trying to send - stay away we don't want you here.

..clip.. The only "happy people riding" shots I see are stills that I think some company camps out and gets paid to take your picture.
There were about 24 of us at NASSIR that did the Dragon on a Friday afternoon (9/26? I think).. lots of happy faces.. and if there was a sad face, it was because it was a bit of a let-down

Afew things...

1. The Dragon is over-rated... sure it (supposedly) has 318 curves in 11 miles, but the speed limit is 30 and patrolled with police bikes.. and not that crowded either, at least theFriday we were there. Weekends are apparently much worse.
  2. The hype is to get you to go there.. not to scare you away. There is a whole commercial industry built around this crooked road... a marvel in advertising.
  3. There are accidents.. (as evidenced by the video... and the pile of junk at the restaurant).. but I never felt like it was any more dangerous than most any other twisty.. perhaps even safer??
  4. I wouldn't bother to go back unless there was a group of friends that wanted to go... not worth the effort alone.
  5. But glad I did it once... and have the pictures (from the roadside photographers) anda souvenirpatch for posterity..:waving:

·
Premium Member
1,081 Posts
imported post

sandiegobrass wrote:
The word PROOF takes on a double meaning here... I wonder what the rider was doing that he is so "upright".. he should be waaaay leaned over... or maybe going slow?? Hope he is alright.
I also hope he's alright but had the same observation as you did Jim. He looked way too upright for that turn.

I also agree with your other post that the tail of the dragon is over-rated. Once we were through it my wife (who was terrified prior to the ride) asked if it was over. When I told her that was it she said that we had ridden more challenging roads on our way to Calhoun.

I agree that it's a lot of commercial hype but am also aware of the dangers when motorcyclists want to set some kind of record for getting through the 318 curves.

Just my opinion of course :baffled:

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
imported post

sandiegobrass and wrongway - thanks for you comments on the dragon. Having never been, I was not sure how much of an effort to make. It really does seem like there is a bunch of hype over it.

I think I'll wait for an opportunity where it is just part of a vacation - and probably - as suggested - go during the week. I find that so true of many of the rides I have taken. During the week and as off season as I can make it seems to be good ingredients for a great riding experience.

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

Blackdog wrote:
...was not sure how much of an effort to make. ....
I hope I was not too negative to keep you away.... my major point was intended to be: don't be afraid of it..

Every motorcycle rider should "do it" once!!!

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
imported post

Am I the only one to notice that the guy is wearing two different colors of footwear, and they both appear to be sneakers?

Well, at least in this case, the guy on the bike can't tell the insurance company that she came across the center line at him.

Mike

·
Premium Member
7,574 Posts
imported post

From what I have heard from those that have now been to the Dragon I have a few roads I'd like to introduce you to in Wales.

25% incline, 6 X 180 degree bends, and thats before you get to the twisty section....

I must admit though I'd like to do the Dragon, as thats the set of twisties everyone knows about, the bit I am refering too at Pwhelli, well no one can pronounce it let alone find it on the map... :)

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

The tail of the dragon to me was more like the tail of the mouse ,I go on worse roads than that every sunday ,It is totally over rated and to me it is just a money making scheme for the shop and restaurant there ,

The only reason there are accidents on it is because of inexperienced riders ,,too young ,too fast and too stupid to listen to anybody .

I felt the speed limits are too slow for a wing as you need a bit of speed to keep the wing going round the bends at the right angle .I really enjoyed the day we had there ,but I would not recommend it as a must do road ,you will only be disappointed . Ciaran

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

like was mentioned, did it, have the shirt and patch, would I go "do it" again... no. now there is this road going down into the "grand canyon of Arkansas" after several miles of slow turns decending down the hill, we saw a sign that read "steep and sharp turns AHEAD" I thought, Yikes, what were we just on?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.